HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:57 PM
USA, ID, Rigby
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Discussion
Maidened the super cub today--

Had a fairly calm day today, winds 5-10 mph. (Calm for Idaho.) Charged the battery, put the cub together, went to fly. I have to say while the sim did help, it really doesn't prepare you for real life. Due to some newb mistakes, i crashed and broke the cowling. Checked it out and everything else ok. Took it up again and really crashed and broke my brand new plane in two! After many choice words all the way home, I got the glue out , put the thing back together and reread the manual. Checked the control surfaces to see if they were operating correctly,( the elevator was reversed---newb mistake) more choice words...also turned off the ACT. Back to the field, where I did 6 flights with no damage. ( 3 ROG takeoffs) The wind takes a little getting used to, and even the speed of the SC is more than this newb expected. I guess they don't stay new forever and I'm looking forward to many more successful flights.
ToddGr is offline Find More Posts by ToddGr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:04 PM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
852 Posts
Many have made the exact same mistakes. You learn. You repair. You get better. Congratualtions on the successful flights that you did have.
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGr View Post
Had a fairly calm day today, winds 5-10 mph. (Calm for Idaho.) Charged the battery, put the cub together, went to fly. I have to say while the sim did help, it really doesn't prepare you for real life. Due to some newb mistakes, i crashed and broke the cowling. Checked it out and everything else ok. Took it up again and really crashed and broke my brand new plane in two! After many choice words all the way home, I got the glue out , put the thing back together and reread the manual. Checked the control surfaces to see if they were operating correctly,( the elevator was reversed---newb mistake) more choice words...also turned off the ACT. Back to the field, where I did 6 flights with no damage. ( 3 ROG takeoffs) The wind takes a little getting used to, and even the speed of the SC is more than this newb expected. I guess they don't stay new forever and I'm looking forward to many more successful flights.
How much experience did you have with the simulator and which one have you been using?
MrNotorious is offline Find More Posts by MrNotorious
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:39 PM
USA, ID, Rigby
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
I have phoenix, I've used it for about 6 months but not steady. I'm not saying it isn't good, just real life is more complicated. I use it mostly for heli's but have several favorite planes too. Thank God I didn't start with a jet that goes 100 miles per hour.
ToddGr is offline Find More Posts by ToddGr
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:44 PM
Joined Nov 2009
130 Posts
When i first bought my supercub I crashed into a fence at fairly low speed and did no damage, but i crashed after all. I took the ACT off and i had not problems at all and no crashes since. (she has over 40 flights) It was my first plane and it was a very good one. Good to hear you had succesful flights!

ACT on = crash
Swert Pertoto is offline Find More Posts by Swert Pertoto
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:49 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
...I guess they don't stay new forever...
I think that should be the golden rule of buying your first plane.

Congratulations on the successful flights. I wish you many more
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
I have phoenix, I've used it for about 6 months but not steady. I'm not saying it isn't good, just real life is more complicated. I use it mostly for heli's but have several favorite planes too. Thank God I didn't start with a jet that goes 100 miles per hour.
Thanks for the info. I will be in your shoes in some time and hopefully your input will help me out!
MrNotorious is offline Find More Posts by MrNotorious