HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,579 Posts
The stab drive is the only thing I am less than thrilled with on the Maxa. There must be a small bellcrank at the base of the fin with a drive rod/threaded thing that floats around at stab level. When engaged with the stab its rock solid. However, without something in the hole it floats out of sight and needs to be fished around for in order to mount the stab. I solved the problem with a small tapered wood peg that goes in as the stab disengages, and can be pushed in far enough for a friction fit in the hole. Then I retract the keeper as the stab is reengaged. Its a bit of a nuisance, but livable.

T- next time I come down I'll bring the big, fluffy plane.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Sweet!
Sounds good, JT....

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Coral Springs FL
Joined May 2002
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
The stab drive is the only thing I am less than thrilled with on the Maxa. There must be a small bellcrank at the base of the fin with a drive rod/threaded thing that floats around at stab level. When engaged with the stab its rock solid. However, without something in the hole it floats out of sight and needs to be fished around for in order to mount the stab. I solved the problem with a small tapered wood peg that goes in as the stab disengages, and can be pushed in far enough for a friction fit in the hole. Then I retract the keeper as the stab is reengaged. Its a bit of a nuisance, but livable.

T- next time I come down I'll bring the big, fluffy plane.

JT

Try a small super (neodymium) magnet on the side. Should allow you to slide/position the clevis where you want. Also hold it there when you store the plane. No more "fishing"

Radian.
www.phflyers.com
Radian is offline Find More Posts by Radian
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Oct 2006
243 Posts
"mini" Maxa

Lots of discussion here on the Maxa. What about the miniMaxa (3.5m)? Has anyone experienced it? Any comments? How does it compare to the Supra pro full spread tow?

Yes, I know the big price difference.

jpherit
jpherit is offline Find More Posts by jpherit
Last edited by jpherit; Jan 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,511 Posts
Where is a link for the mini maxa ? Sounds great
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:44 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Is there a lot of interest in 2.5M planes?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:25 AM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Is there a lot of interest in 2.5M planes?
Not at my club...
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,589 Posts
The small tips for the Maxa yield a span of 3.5m not 2.5, it is on Barry's site as well. Go Read Guys! Details are on the Maxa page, not sure about pics but specs aswell.

And ya, no one cares about a 2.5m span thing around here either.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
OK, someone asked about a 2.5M mini maxa and I was wondering why they would produce it in such a high end full house package.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:12 AM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,926 Posts
I don't know of any Mini Maxa in development. Maybe jpherit is confusing names with a new version of the Mini AVA Pro that Vladimir may have developed for KC. I saw some in production when I visited Ukraine in May, but haven't seen any completed models.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Oct 2006
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Stainton View Post
I don't know of any Mini Maxa in development. Maybe jpherit is confusing names with a new version of the Mini AVA Pro that Vladimir may have developed for KC. I saw some in production when I visited Ukraine in May, but haven't seen any completed models.

Neil.
Folks, Just a simple typo. I am referring to the 3.5m version of the Maxa and am interested in hands on comparisons to the comparably sized ST Supra. I edited my original to the correct wingspan. I labeled it Mini Maxa as a tounge-in-cheek way to distinguish between the two models.
jpherit is offline Find More Posts by jpherit
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
FAV
Ukraine
Joined May 2009
25 Posts
Hi all !
MAXA 3.5
Weather without a wind (a head to incline to the left)
maxa35.avi (1 min 35 sec)

Wind of 4-5 meters per second
Maxa3.5 (11 min 26 sec)
FAV is offline Find More Posts by FAV
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:53 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Videos are fun but they don't tell us anything.

What are your impressions either compared to the 3.9 bird or to the Supra Pro?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:03 PM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
432 Posts
maxa 3.5 3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpherit View Post
Lots of discussion here on the Maxa. What about the miniMaxa (3.5m)? Has anyone experienced it? Any comments? How does it compare to the Supra pro full spread tow?

Yes, I know the big price difference.

jpherit
Not much time with either tip setup as yet but my first impressions are great. The 4 will be perfect for those early morning no lift rounds where you need to float. The 3.5 is more nimble and seems more forgiving than the Supras I have flown. My experience with Supras were the Pro light and carbon pro. No time on a spread tow Supra. As Joe pointed out you will need to ballast earlier than with a Supra. Over all the 3.5 is my favorite due to its handling over a Supra... it does have the same character of a Supra but will slow down better and it seems it will not drop a wing as quickly with an aft cg
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Last edited by kdt; Jan 21, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
Francesco helped us out with some simulations on the MAXA. This an excerpt from his findings.

"From my simulations it looks like it's a close match between 4 degrees and 6 degrees for the min sink setting. I don't consider the absolute sink rate value to be much significant, because XFLR5 doesn't estimate parasitic and interference drag, but just for the records it predicts it at 22 cm/s for a Maxa 4 at 1750 grams.
"
"I decided for comparison to analyze the Maxa at the same static margin, 8%, as my Supra, giveing a CG at 112 mm for MAXA.

More to follow and will be posted on our web site.

www.kennedycomposites.com

Barry
Blaster is offline Find More Posts by Blaster