HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:54 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,742 Posts
I am down at the beach this week and had an issue that was resolved with a little compressed air, sand slipped into the motor on landing...

I was curious if you all think if enabling the brake on the esc would help future landings? How should I expect this to affect it's power off glide abilities? I appreciate any input anyone has here, eventually I will mod the underside to better enclose the motor (like on the top half).

I am concerned sand will eventually slip into the bearings in the motor and burn it/lock it up... Any advice from beach flyers is especially appreciated, I am in destin Florida and the sand is as fine as table salt
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:26 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince53 View Post
I got the stryker equipped with some Eagletree stuff last night and got a test flight this morning. The data file is corrupted but I can say this:

2200 3s 35C
APC 7x5E
60 amp esc
level flight at 93mph on 438 watts
flies straight up at 51mph until out of sight

Vince
good stuff!
static or in-flight watts?
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:55 PM
Potage, MI
Joined Dec 2003
534 Posts
Those figures are in flight with speed measured by GPS. The GPS updates 10 times a second and the change in elevation during the measurement was only a few feet. When I was looking at the graphs I could see that what I perceived as level was actually a slight downslope.

Vince
Vince53 is offline Find More Posts by Vince53
Old Jul 02, 2011, 01:57 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Got my Stryker today! just got done putting it all together and testing it out. aileron horns seemed to be glued down pretty well, not loose at all. No damage to plane anywhere. plugged it in and all tested well, but one servo is constantly beeping and making noise. works okay, just noisy. had the same issue on another parkzone plane I had. sucks. but it all works, and I set up my Dx6i like the manual said as far as controller settings and everything works as it should. I did have to swap what the manual said about the right aileron plugging into the elevator port, etc. its the opposite as some of you have pointed out before. i do have the problem some of you have stated that the rudders move SO far, that they actually warp the tail fins, so I will need to adjust the travel to stop that from happening I guess. other then that, she is ready to maiden tomorrow! i did put a dab of gorilla glue on each double sided tape strip to hold in the tail fins. I will write again after my maiden tomorrow! supposed to be nice! 5-10mph winds.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:07 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
plugged it in and all tested well, but one servo is constantly beeping and making noise. works okay, just noisy. had the same issue on another parkzone plane I had. sucks.
Thats not a issue, they are digital, they all make that noise!!

I will write again after my maiden tomorrow! supposed to be nice! 5-10mph winds.
Good luck on your Maiden. I may get mine in Sunday, after i get back from the Cabin!!
I swapped the ES3 for a XT60 connector! seeing all my Battery's have that connector. There is a adapter for XT60-ES3 but none in stock!!. But i'm not pleased with my solder Job. It was pretty late when i did it so...
So i need to re-do them before a flight!!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:26 AM
No mods no glory!
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Nov 2010
459 Posts
My only complaint with the F-27Q is that I had one Elevon servo fail mid-flight on my maiden flight. So I replaced both with Hitec HA-5076's.

I'm currently running this setup:

Skylipo 4S 2200 40C (Fits perfectly with room to spare lengthwise, no mod)
E-Flight Power 60 ESC (Had it laying around, not my ESC of choice)
Hacker A30-10L V2
APC 4.75 X 4.75

898Watts at just under 62Amps with this prop. I'm going to change out the Power 60 to a Light Ice 75, otherwise she screams and is super solid. I'm very pleased with this setup.
micromantis is offline Find More Posts by micromantis
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:52 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,253 Posts
My only complaint about the F-27Q is.... I don't have one yet.

I'm still under orders to "stand down" on purchasing planes until after my birthday. But like I said earlier, "screw it, I'm getting one. If I get one for my B-Day, I'll just have a back-up!!"

From reading this thread, it sounds like the overall impression is that everyone's enjoying it. That's encouraging!!! I gotta spot reserved for it in my hanger.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jul 02, 2011, 04:07 AM
I took 25yr Break, New Tech!
Australia, QLD, Parkinson
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Maiden off a bungee

Hi Folks, nice bird, put my maiden up today, just thought I would share with you my launch, with so much discussion about the subject...

I've got a dicky shoulder so throwing it is not an option, here is the view off the bungee for the maiden flight, get 100% in the air every time with this method. Pull on the bungee was 4kg.

Sequence 01 (0 min 30 sec)

Happy Flying...
blackdog1 is online now Find More Posts by blackdog1
Old Jul 02, 2011, 04:21 AM
No mods no glory!
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Nov 2010
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog1 View Post
Hi Folks, nice bird, put my maiden up today, just thought I would share with you my launch, with so much discussion about the subject...

I've got a dicky shoulder so throwing it is not an option, here is the view off the bungee for the maiden flight, get 100% in the air every time with this method. Pull on the bungee was 4kg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xq6Buc8iAI

Happy Flying...
Neat launcher, wish I had one. How is the loop or hook set up on the bird? Or is there one?
micromantis is offline Find More Posts by micromantis
Old Jul 02, 2011, 04:21 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killowatt View Post
Robert,

Where were you flying during that vid? I'm gonna call Glenns and Antique Barn looking for 7x5's tomorrow, I'll pick up a couple for ya if I find any. This is one awesome rtf...I need to thank Atlanta Hobby for mine
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Jul 02, 2011, 04:32 AM
I took 25yr Break, New Tech!
Australia, QLD, Parkinson
Joined Mar 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micromantis View Post
Neat launcher, wish I had one. How is the loop or hook set up on the bird? Or is there one?
Pretty simple see photo, with the Stryker the Glass brace takes the load, on a funjet hook, I do a 2mm Carbon rod under the fuselage to take the load.

Just a 3m picture hanger hook, foam trimmed enough to mount flat.

Cheers
blackdog1 is online now Find More Posts by blackdog1
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:11 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
Dude

I hate to tell ya this cause it a PITA
But

Swtch to deans

I just converted all my xt60 to deans

Xt60 are a pain to solder

But

Deans are pricier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Good luck on your Maiden. I may get mine in Sunday, after i get back from the Cabin!!
I swapped the ES3 for a XT60 connector! seeing all my Battery's have that connector. There is a adapter for XT60-ES3 but none in stock!!. But i'm not pleased with my solder Job. It was pretty late when i did it so...
So i need to re-do them before a flight!!
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:55 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Dude

I hate to tell ya this cause it a PITA
But

Swtch to deans

I just converted all my xt60 to deans

Xt60 are a pain to solder

But

Deans are pricier
Really!! you find deans better/easier too solder then XT60's? Ive read so many people saying the complete opposite. Me personally i find XT60s easy. But I've never soldered up deans so i cant really compare. It was pretty late(3am) when i did them and i don't think my gun was at full temp, after it cooled down i realized the tip was not screwed in tight.
When i filled the bullet with solder i had a hard time reheating it up to get the wire in. I have helping handed and it helps big time.
So when i get back I'm going too redo them. They are soldered pretty good, it just I'm picky i guess lol
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:11 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,317 Posts
I find them hard to reheat as well and always end up melting casing

Deans are fairly easy to solder

Well

In my short time with them anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Really!! you find deans better/easier too solder then XT60's? Ive read so many people saying the complete opposite. Me personally i find XT60s easy. But I've never soldered up deans so i cant really compare. It was pretty late(3am) when i did them and i don't think my gun was at full temp, after it cooled down i realized the tip was not screwed in tight.
When i filled the bullet with solder i had a hard time reheating it up to get the wire in. I have helping handed and it helps big time.
So when i get back I'm going too redo them. They are soldered pretty good, it just I'm picky i guess lol
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:20 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
I think people who complaint about soldering Deans are using clones. There's some good clones (they have better grip) but there's way too many cheap clones that melt just because your soldering iron is turned on, somewhere on your bench.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler