New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by ardo
Joined Dec 2008
27 Posts
I have two iCharger 206B's, very pleased with them for quite some time already.

Since today one of them restarts about every 10 seconds, just connected to power supply.

Any hints to fix this behaviour would be appreciated!
ardo is offline Find More Posts by ardo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2015, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by aragocom
Joined Apr 2015
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNFLY View Post
When the termination time is always equal: 01m; 01“, maybe you have mistaken set the safety timer to „On“?
Take a look on the „settings“ into the „Safety timer“ menu and be shure, the Safety timer is „OFF“.
I checked this setting - it was set to off with a time of 300 minutes. I changed it to on and lowered the time to 295 to force it to rewrite. Still have the problem ....
I suspect I might have to update / reinstall the firmware which presents another challenge.
aragocom is offline Find More Posts by aragocom
Old Apr 19, 2015, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by RNFLY
Germany, BY, BA
Joined Sep 2014
143 Posts
Now I have seen on the list of error messages, that the right message for the failure of the safety timer would be: „Safety time out – stopped“. - This is obviously not the cause.
The manual says, to find out the reason of the error message: „Termination at...“, you have to press the „Battype/Stop“ button, then „Dec“- or „Inc“ button, to get the values, who caused the error message. You could try this, to find out more.
RNFLY is offline Find More Posts by RNFLY
Old Apr 19, 2015, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by Xavier Mapother
Australia
Joined Apr 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Don't worry about those connections, those are probably for larger batteries that use anderson poles or other 2 separate wire connectors. For normal batteries, its the same as any other charger, just plug your battery in (along with the balance port plug), charge the battery. Once its done charging unplug and fly!
Thanks Cheese5 for answering my problem. Yeah, I am just using a normal battery - a 11.1V 2600 mah lipo. I will proceed to plugging in and charging my battery.
Xavier Mapother is offline Find More Posts by Xavier Mapother
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by Xeric
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
1,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Mapother View Post
Thanks Cheese5 for answering my problem. Yeah, I am just using a normal battery - a 11.1V 2600 mah lipo. I will proceed to plugging in and charging my battery.
I agree that the manual's instructions are 1) confusing and 2) probably aimed at heavier-duty use. It does, though, make sense to me to plug the main leads in first, followed by the balance connectors, and to unplug the balance connectors first and then the main leads. I can remember that because it makes sense to me that if, for some odd and unforeseen reason, there was a large current spike upon connecting or disconnecting, I'd rather have it pass through the main leads than through the tiny balance wires and plugs.
Xeric is online now Find More Posts by Xeric
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by flarssen
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeric View Post
I agree that the manual's instructions are 1) confusing and 2) probably aimed at heavier-duty use. It does, though, make sense to me to plug the main leads in first, followed by the balance connectors, and to unplug the balance connectors first and then the main leads. I can remember that because it makes sense to me that if, for some odd and unforeseen reason, there was a large current spike upon connecting or disconnecting, I'd rather have it pass through the main leads than through the tiny balance wires and plugs.
My understanding is that when the positive charge wire is connected before the negative one, and the balance plug is already connected, the capacitors in the charger will charge up slowly so that there will be no spark ("strike fire") when the negative charge wire is connected to complete the connection. Seems to be a resistor in the ground path of the balance port. If the negative wire is connected first, this will bypass the resistor, and you get a spark for high cell count batteries.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Apr 20, 2015, 03:27 AM
Find More Posts by enriqueq
Joined Feb 2015
15 Posts
Thanks for testing this. Looks like I'm stuck with the weird behavior...

Just to recap, for others, the 206B and 306B, and probably other similar models, have a problem doing high rate discharges on low voltage sources; the device reduces/tapers current to a lower level when the cell/battery being discharged reaches a low voltage level, though still above the cutoff voltage.

I only saw the problem in regenerative discharge mode, whereas RNFLY saw it during both internal and regenerative discharge. For example, I was trying to regen discharge a 6500mAh NiMH cell at 18.5A with cutoff voltage set to 0.9V. When voltage reached about 0.95V the device reduced current from 18.5A to 16A and then continued to taper current until the cutoff voltage was reached. I also saw it during an 18A discharge, but didn't see it at a 13A discharge...

Quote:
@ enriqueq

I have made today a similar test with my 306b. I made the regenerative discharge into a 6s lipo on the input side.
On the output, I connected an adjustable power supply. I have set the discharge current to 28,0A (to have a comparable load to your 206b).
The result:
Above 1,70V output voltage, no problem with the constant current of 28,0A. Between 1,7V and 1,2V there was a drop down to 15A! Between 1,2V and 1,1V the current was at 28,0A back again. Between 1,1V and 0,7V a drop to 17A. At 0,7V 28A again. Below 0,6V, the current drops steadily: at 0,5V 24A, at 0,4V 20A, at 0,3V 15A, at 0,2V 10A,at 0,1V 6A
The 28A discharge current on the internal discharge mode:
Above 0,6V no problem. Under 0,6V the same current drop, as on the regenerative discharge mode.

Conclusions:
This test approves the behavior of your 206b.
Between 1,7V and 0,6V, it could be a program issue. Below 0,6V I think, it is technical induced.
enriqueq is offline Find More Posts by enriqueq
Last edited by enriqueq; Apr 20, 2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 04:06 AM
Find More Posts by aragocom
Joined Apr 2015
3 Posts
Quote:
Now I have seen on the list of error messages, that the right message for the failure of the safety timer would be: „Safety time out – stopped“. - This is obviously not the cause.
The manual says, to find out the reason of the error message: „Termination at...“, you have to press the „Battype/Stop“ button, then „Dec“- or „Inc“ button, to get the values, who caused the error message. You could try this, to find out more.
I tried all ways to get the values but all it does is resets the error message and then changes the lithium program to the next or previous one. I will try to borrow a laptop with Windows on it in the next two nights and reload the firmware. Hope that fixes it or else I will be looking for a replacement. I did manage to get one battery fully charged last night - just an uncountable number of resets and restarts. Thanks for your input - I'll let you know how it goes.
aragocom is offline Find More Posts by aragocom
Old Apr 20, 2015, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by RNFLY
Germany, BY, BA
Joined Sep 2014
143 Posts
Have you tried to charge with other charge programs?
For example Pb (lead axid) battery program for 24V? Or LiFe program without the balancer? Or LiIon 7s without balancer?
The LiFePo4 not necessarily need always a balance charge.
It could be a emergency solution, if it works.
RNFLY is offline Find More Posts by RNFLY