New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by Oceansun
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Discussion
Step up from foam?

Hey guys, been flying for several years and looking for a step up from the foam I terms of an all purpose glider. I don't have a lot of experience building my own balsa setup so considering the Super Easy 2E from Top Model/ Esprit...

What are your thoughts or suggestions? Oh, some other relevant info: Im an intermediate looking primarily to thermal or all purpose but have fun, want to use my DX6, & keep the plane & equip under $600.

Really appreciate any & all input! Thanks,
Oceansun is offline Find More Posts by Oceansun
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2015, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Joined Apr 2010
987 Posts
I like the 3M size birds-- big but not too big...

I was considering this model which is balsa covered by membrane:

http://www.espritmodel.com/schleicher-ka8b-3se-arf.aspx

This is an old-school glider. I still may end up getting this one eventually.

But I recently purchased a scale LET ASW28-18 as someone had a used one near where I live. This is a modern scale sailplane:

http://www.soaringusa.com/LET-ASW-28-18-3M.html

Chief
BHChieftain is offline Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Mar 01, 2015, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
2,966 Posts
Hi, Oceansun.

Just about any of the TopModel/Esprit gliders in your price range should fit the bill. A Pegasus, as an example, would be more of a pure floater and then they get faster and stronger from there. I have, so far, had really good luck using Chinese electronics from HobbyKing despite the well-known QC and product support issues. If one sticks with items that get good reviews one can save a bucket of money and/or invest in a higher priced airframe.

If you are going to stick with something in the 2 meter range and, let's say, 800 to 1100 grams, it would be hard to beat a KDA 22-20L motor. I have three. One in a HK Specter 1800, one in a foam Yak 3D, and one in the drawer in case I need another motor and it's out of stock. They greatly understate the performance of this motor and I have one that's performed flawlessly for 3 years pulling close to 30amps and 300 watts in brief bursts. Other vendors list the performance as 25amps and 250 watts. They even come with all mounting hardware and an extra shaft. Well worth a look.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1000KV.html

I have also had good experiences with the "Blue Series ESC's and Rhino batteries.

Another glider that might interest you is the R2Hobbies Raptor 2000. Skip Miller Models offers them as a PNP for $250.00. I have the slightly smaller Specter 1800 and it's a very fine general purpose glider. It will soar if there's any lift at all and is still happy in gusty, 25+ mph winds. The Raptor, by reputation, is a bit better performer.

http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Rapt...ptor-e-pnp.htm

If you don't mind a bit more effort, though not as complex as a all wood kit, then the Art Hobby line is another possibility.

http://www.arthobby.com/

Frankly; there are far too many in your range to list. If you come up with a short list someone with direct experience with them will happen along.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Mar 01, 2015, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by Oceansun
Joined Mar 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, Oceansun.

Just about any of the TopModel/Esprit gliders in your price range should fit the bill. A Pegasus, as an example, would be more of a pure floater and then they get faster and stronger from there. I have, so far, had really good luck using Chinese electronics from HobbyKing despite the well-known QC and product support issues. If one sticks with items that get good reviews one can save a bucket of money and/or invest in a higher priced airframe.

If you are going to stick with something in the 2 meter range and, let's say, 800 to 1100 grams, it would be hard to beat a KDA 22-20L motor. I have three. One in a HK Specter 1800, one in a foam Yak 3D, and one in the drawer in case I need another motor and it's out of stock. They greatly understate the performance of this motor and I have one that's performed flawlessly for 3 years pulling close to 30amps and 300 watts in brief bursts. Other vendors list the performance as 25amps and 250 watts. They even come with all mounting hardware and an extra shaft. Well worth a look.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1000KV.html

I have also had good experiences with the "Blue Series ESC's and Rhino batteries.

Another glider that might interest you is the R2Hobbies Raptor 2000. Skip Miller Models offers them as a PNP for $250.00. I have the slightly smaller Specter 1800 and it's a very fine general purpose glider. It will soar if there's any lift at all and is still happy in gusty, 25+ mph winds. The Raptor, by reputation, is a bit better performer.

http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Rapt...ptor-e-pnp.htm

If you don't mind a bit more effort, though not as complex as a all wood kit, then the Art Hobby line is another possibility.

http://www.arthobby.com/

Frankly; there are far too many in your range to list. If you come up with a short list someone with direct experience with them will happen along.

Cheers!
Hi Peter, thanks, really appreciate the input and I've seen posts about the Raptor but unfort haven't paid much attention. Wow, my mistake, just spent 15 mins reading various articles and im very impressed w/ it!! As well, Skip Miller has good rep & the price couldn't be better! Is that correct for a PNP? Wow...

Again, thank you, will keep you posted,

Jeff
Oceansun is offline Find More Posts by Oceansun
Old Mar 01, 2015, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
2,966 Posts
I'm always happy to help people spend money, Jeff. And, being notoriously cheap myself, I'm even happier to help people save money!

The airframe is from R2Hobbies and, when in stock, is just a bit over $100.00. So, at the price that SK models is likely to pay in bulk, it's certainly doable at $250.00 and one should have better support from them than any Chinese vendor. I know that R2 drops their prices to clear out stock in the winter and it's possible that SK is following suit in preparation for the new season's models.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Mar 01, 2015, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
2,185 Posts
The Olympic II (available @ skybench) is supposed to be a very easy build, and comes highly recommended for first time sailplane builders. At 'only' 100 inches (2 meters) it's a little easier to transport and handle than the larger birds too.

And it can be electrified if you don't want to deal with winches or hi-starts.
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Mar 02, 2015, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
769 Posts
But wait, there's more (OLYs that is)

Ray Hayes at Skybench also has a three meter OLY III which may also be electrified and his kits are top quality with excellent instructions.
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Mar 02, 2015, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
The Olympic II (available @ skybench) is supposed to be a very easy build, and comes highly recommended for first time sailplane builders. At 'only' 100 inches (2 meters) it's a little easier to transport and handle than the larger birds too.

And it can be electrified if you don't want to deal with winches or hi-starts.
100 inches is 2.5 meters.

I built an OLY IIS last summer, and it's a great flyer. I electrified mine because I don't want to fool with hi-start, bungee or winch.

It's not hard to build, but there are some gotcha's- mistakes in the plan and so forth. Ray will be pissed if he sees that I said this, but it's true none the less.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Mar 31, 2015, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by John Hendry
John Hendry
Joined Oct 2013
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
100 inches is 2.5 meters.

I built an OLY IIS last summer, and it's a great flyer. I electrified mine because I don't want to fool with hi-start, bungee or winch.

It's not hard to build, but there are some gotcha's- mistakes in the plan and so forth. Ray will be pissed if he sees that I said this, but it's true none the less.
Humm... an OLY llS, interesting. I can tell you the original flies very good and I wouldn't put too much polyhedral in because in 35-40 years it will add to it all by itself. The metal rods used rust and if were to change anything from the original it would be to replace the metal with carbon fiber then you can hang it without worrying the wing gets stuck together and let gravity keep the wing flat. Despite it's design and low wing loading it can handle the wind just fine and with some ballast even more. But you don't need a motor... just a good right arm aimed in the right direction;-)

EDIT: Wow... the SX looks like what the Aquila wanted to be. Very nice kits it looks like and the SX looks really nice..
John Hendry is offline Find More Posts by John Hendry
Last edited by John Hendry; Mar 31, 2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2015, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by Bmwjoon
Joined Mar 2015
30 Posts
Wing span? ARF or kit?

I would recommend a model from Blejzyk or Arthobby. Glass fuses with sheeted foam core wings. Nowadays it's easy to electrify anything. You would learn basic building and setup techniques. If it wasn't intended to be electric you could learn about power system calculations, layout and fabrication. All said and done you'll have a great model and probably would have learned a lot of good building techniques.
Bmwjoon is offline Find More Posts by Bmwjoon