HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:45 PM
Joined Aug 2007
159 Posts
Help!
need help with trex 250 screws

I am trying to buy some new screws to replace the crap screws that come with the 250. but I cannot find the right specs for them. in the manual for example for the most common screw a socket button head self tapping screw by 3mm.it says T1.5x3mm. but according to standards there is only a m1.4 or an m1.6 metric size thread.

on the trex450 manual it states that the most common screw is an m2x6mm. this I can find verry easily.

I need to know exactly what the specs are for 250 machine screw. and does it have to be self tapping? I am confused about this setup with the 250 unless I am wrong I dont see how they could say it is a T1.5 cause I have not found anywhere that metric starts with a T to describe the type of thread or the screw itsef. please someone help me out.
nashiem is offline Find More Posts by nashiem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,390 Posts
Actually the screws in the 250 kit are fine - it's the tool that is rounding off. They are 0.9mm hex heads, and you need one of these to deal with them.

http://www.miponline.com/MIP/HWrench.html

The "T1.5" notation refers to the larger screws, and it's not the dimension of the screw itself, but the size of the driver you need.

Also, the 250 is a micro, so you might find some info about this if you search in the micro forum.

And, these little screws don't need to be tightened down very tight at all. Use thread-lock and let it do its job - do not tighten down the screws very tight, or you'll actually strip the hole and never be able to get another screw tight in there no matter if it's new or not.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:13 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...fdd7eecc37b529
Doesnt give you any numbers or anything, but its a stainless set.
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:13 PM
Joined Aug 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
Actually the screws in the 250 kit are fine - it's the tool that is rounding off. They are 0.9mm hex heads, and you need one of these to deal with them.

http://www.miponline.com/MIP/HWrench.html

The "T1.5" notation refers to the larger screws, and it's not the dimension of the screw itself, but the size of the driver you need.

Also, the 250 is a micro, so you might find some info about this if you search in the micro forum.

And, these little screws don't need to be tightened down very tight at all. Use thread-lock and let it do its job - do not tighten down the screws very tight, or you'll actually strip the hole and never be able to get another screw tight in there no matter if it's new or not.
I did buy another .9mm driver, and you are right the head is rounded on it a little, but as far as the screws from the trex I have to dis agree with you for once. there were some of the screws I barely put any strength in to tighten them down and they just were not machined right or something.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:14 PM
Joined Aug 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMoore12
http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...fdd7eecc37b529
Doesnt give you any numbers or anything, but its a stainless set.
I did some research on this company and found that their screw sets were not much to talk about. this is where I will be buying my screws from now on.

http://www.mcmaster.com
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:27 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashiem
I did buy another .9mm driver, and you are right the head is rounded on it a little, but as far as the screws from the trex I have to dis agree with you for once. there were some of the screws I barely put any strength in to tighten them down and they just were not machined right or something.
Trust me, it's the tool. The Align tool gets rounded off very easily. I got a new one and ruined it on the first screw I used it on. Take a bright light and a magnifying glass and look at the screw - you should see nice straight edges on the head. The link I gave is for a much better hex driver. The Align tool is so weak it is not capable of stripping the heads.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:32 PM
Joined Aug 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
Trust me, it's the tool. The Align tool gets rounded off very easily. I got a new one and ruined it on the first screw I used it on. Take a bright light and a magnifying glass and look at the screw - you should see nice straight edges on the head. The link I gave is for a much better hex driver. The Align tool is so weak it is not capable of stripping the heads.
I do believe you I already have one on order.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:15 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,390 Posts
You will love it... I couldn't get my tail apart until I got that thing. I needed it to install the metal shaft - they over-did the thread lock on this bird.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:47 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashiem
I did some research on this company and found that their screw sets were not much to talk about. this is where I will be buying my screws from now on.

http://www.mcmaster.com
McMaster Carr is a good outlet for hardware as are several other places like Microfasteners. But when looking for the wide array of screws that come with a heli, I opted to try one of the RCScrewz sets for my new T-Rex 450. It appears to have all of them, but it's hard to say as it comes in a small box and they're all mixed up. I don't care for that at all considering the price they charge for the set, but it may wind up being worth it down the road. I did this as I'm new to the heli's and most of my "plank" hardware is either just too big or SAE or both, for the little heli.

One bad thing about McMaster is that you may wind up having to buy way more items of each size than you want to purchase due to the way they sell/package hardware. Then you have to verify the sizes you need, so one is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place unless you know what you want and can buy more items than you need. If the OP is new and doesn't have a local source for hardware this size, he may want to consider the RCScrewz option for those same reasons I did...
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Jan 30, 2009, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
McMaster Carr is a good outlet for hardware as are several other places like Microfasteners. But when looking for the wide array of screws that come with a heli, I opted to try one of the RCScrewz sets for my new T-Rex 450. It appears to have all of them, but it's hard to say as it comes in a small box and they're all mixed up. I don't care for that at all considering the price they charge for the set, but it may wind up being worth it down the road. I did this as I'm new to the heli's and most of my "plank" hardware is either just too big or SAE or both, for the little heli.

One bad thing about McMaster is that you may wind up having to buy way more items of each size than you want to purchase due to the way they sell/package hardware. Then you have to verify the sizes you need, so one is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place unless you know what you want and can buy more items than you need. If the OP is new and doesn't have a local source for hardware this size, he may want to consider the RCScrewz option for those same reasons I did...
this is true, but I am very lets say anal about my equipment. for instance I bought about 30 or 40 of the align 6mm screws for my 450, because when ever I have to take one of the screws out I replace it with a new one. why I dont know thats just how I am, so if I buy 50 or 100 of a certain screw that is used a lot in my helis, Im sure Ill use them at one point.

and the thing I like about mcmaster is that I can get torx heads. that is a plus in my book. and they give you a diagram that you can print out with the final specs of the screw you want. that is a plus in my book