SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2002, 09:58 AM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
Can the Orbit/Schulze/Ginzel/? Charge Alkaline Batteries?

Can the Orbit/Schulze/Ginzel/Triton/? Charge Alkaline Batteries?

Victor
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:54 AM
Dimension Engineering
Akron, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
1,705 Posts
Your best bet for charging alkalines is get one of the $10 rayovac NiMH chargers (the black one, not the grey one or the fast charger).

Works like a charm, does AA and AAA and only costs $10

All the usual warnings apply if the cell leaks and you eat the fluid and that sets your house on fire, don't blame me. but i do this all the time.
Comatose is offline Find More Posts by Comatose
Old Nov 14, 2002, 12:07 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Most alkaline cells are primary cells. That is, they are not designed to be recharged. In fact, the only rechargeable alkaline cells of which I'm aware are the Rayovac Renewal cells, which as Comatose suggests come with their own dedicated Rayovac Renewal charger that also charges NiMH. A few people have tried recharging primary alkaline cells. But if anyone recommends to you that it is safe to do so, be sure to get their attorney's name in advance.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Nov 14, 2002, 04:20 PM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
I am asking about the Rechargable version. We have about 30 of them (Rayovac) and they are now worthless using the Black Rayovac charger. Most have only been cycled 4 times over 6 months in our fleet of Lego Mindstorm robots.

A lot of money for 4 charges.

Victor
Old Nov 14, 2002, 04:27 PM
Arab, AL
Joined Jan 2002
769 Posts
Victor,

Unfortunately, everything I've seen and heard says that what you're seeing in the rechargeable alkaline performance is about typical. If you want something that's reliably rechargeable for more than a few cycles, rechargeable alkalines are not a good choice.

Brad
Brad S is offline Find More Posts by Brad S
Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:30 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
The rechargeable alkalines are apparently very fragile. If you read the fine print, it says that they work best when topped off frequently. As I understand it, these cells will not last long if discharged even to ~50% capacity before recharging. Under optimum conditions, I believe they are only rated for ~25 charges. NiMH is vastly superior.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Nov 15, 2002, 11:04 AM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
I will warn everyone I know NOT to buy them. NiCads are much better also.

Victor