HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:05 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
Maidened my Crak Wing yesterday and I have to say it is VERY much fun to fly. I have 4 of the Nitroplanes POP's in various sizes and The Crak Wing is more fun to me than all of them.
This thing loops in a heartbeat, hovers and does reverse knife edges like some of my flat foamies. I am sure there are a lot more maneuvers yet to be learned by me. (Keep those videos coming!) Does anyone have a favorite maneuver with the CW they would like to share?
You won't be sorry you got one! (And the price is right!)
Joe
Favorite maneuvers - rollers and snakes.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:01 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
It's no good I tried to avoid subscribing to this thread but it got too much.

Thinking about it I haven't got the batts for my CY Mini yet but when I do I might as well have another use for them. I'll have to have a talk to my flying buddies and see if they fancy some wing mayhem. I like the idea of the rudder mod but thinking about it it might ruin the vertical launch trick unless the rudder is made strong enough to take it.

Then it comes to getting one in the UK and what set up to use. I see the recommended from RC Factory is pretty much the same apart from an 8x4 prop for some reason, I'd have thought that would be a bit much for that motor. How wide is the prop slot? would the 8 inch even fit?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:13 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Yes, it's wide enough for an 8 inch. I'm planning on using an 8 inch myself to get enough airflow over the rudders but with another motor.

The 2202 should be able to take an 8 inch for shorts burst of full power, but I think it's to easy to use full power too long on the Crack Wing. Speed is always fun!
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:27 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
It's no good I tried to avoid subscribing to this thread but it got too much.

Thinking about it I haven't got the batts for my CY Mini yet but when I do I might as well have another use for them. I'll have to have a talk to my flying buddies and see if they fancy some wing mayhem. I like the idea of the rudder mod but thinking about it it might ruin the vertical launch trick unless the rudder is made strong enough to take it.

Then it comes to getting one in the UK and what set up to use. I see the recommended from RC Factory is pretty much the same apart from an 8x4 prop for some reason, I'd have thought that would be a bit much for that motor. How wide is the prop slot? would the 8 inch even fit?
Aviefly.... take the plunge... lol...

cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:22 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
and does reverse knife edges like some of my flat foamies.
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
What's a reverse knife edge?
I have the same question, what is a reverse knife edge and how do you knife without a rudder unless it's just a big arc?

Azarr (always willing to learn)
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:30 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I used to do a thing with an old IC flying wing which people thought was knife edge. All I did was roll just past ninety degrees from upright then push down elevator to go round the circuit. People used to ask me how I did knife edge without a rudder but it was actually just a steep high g inverted turn.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:48 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I have the same question, what is a reverse knife edge and how do you knife without a rudder unless it's just a big arc?

Azarr (always willing to learn)
I don't know what the reverse KE is either but if you do a fast shallow snake it can look like a good KE.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:22 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I used to do a thing with an old IC flying wing which people thought was knife edge. All I did was roll just past ninety degrees from upright then push down elevator to go round the circuit. People used to ask me how I did knife edge without a rudder but it was actually just a steep high g inverted turn.
That's exactly what I meant, I guess I just gave it the wrong name. It looks like a reverse knife edge to me:>) Once I get it in the proper orientation, I can go around in circle as long as I want. I do it just like Aviefly describes.
Mofroggy
MOfroggy is online now Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:48 AM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
That's called a Funnel. I like RKE though.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:51 AM
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Ready for maiden!
It's very heavy but I have rudder control!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:48 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
Ready for maiden!
Very nice... Will be interested in your flight report... I have all the stuff todo one as well, but will use 2x 3.5g servos for the rudders, will give the options to fiddle around with different mixes... not that you would really need them, but might be kinda fun.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:25 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,448 Posts
A larger (heavier) version might be interesting as more of an outdoor plane.
Curious how well this one handles wind.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:26 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
Ready for maiden!
Is the large screw in the front of the nose to help offset the rudder servo effect on lateral balance?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Yeah! Turned out the plane was flying nose heavy so I removed the large screw right from the start.

It was an interesting experience to fly the plane indoors!
The rudders are not very effective despite the big size and adequate travel.
It is also slightly too heavy at about 4,5 oz.
I will fly the plane outside and then decide how to proceed. I have the T-Motor AT2204 with a Techone 7A ESC that would save some weight.

An important step is to attach the propeller properly with multiple O-rings or one very strong one. If the propeller flexes in collisions it otherwise will chew big pieces of the model, and that's quite unnecessary!
Last edited by Stark; Feb 17, 2013 at 03:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:21 AM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
It is a trick to get rudder to work on a flying wing. The trick is to get the rudder as far from the CG as possible. If you look at the Extreme Flight Outlaw, the Delta config allows the rudder to get a little further back from the CG than a standard wing. However, even in that case it is not as effective as one would like for normal operation. With a swept tapered wing, like most, it is even worse.

I like flying wings for the challenge that not having an effective rudder presents. How extreme can you get with no rudder? A lot more extreme than people think!

If you really want yaw, you need one of two things. 1, a wingtip drag device/rudder. See how Burt Rutan's Long EZ rudder works. 2, Thrust vectoring. BUT, TV on a wing requires the motor to be as far from CG as possible and that makes CG difficult to attain.

These are just some of the reasons I am interested in Wings right now. Lots of obstacles to overcome to create killer airframes. The CW is the first in a long line I hope