HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:20 AM
Build'm,Fly'm,Crash'm
Sacramento CA
Joined Oct 2009
629 Posts
Thanks, gents...you may want to visit my build if you're thinking about building this little jewel. Link...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1425947

I went about it a bit different than Jarel's method. I saw the potential for a really scale model and came up with this. His design was the basis, though, and was well thought out from the start. I just changed key scale design points. Pics from indoors a couple of weeks ago...
redlite is offline Find More Posts by redlite
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,399 Posts
Just finished second flight of the ryan today. I removed the 6 grams of weight from under the cowl and flew with 1 click of up elevator.The winds were 10-12mph and it was alittle dark out.IT ALL WENT GOOD. I switched to high rates for a loop and a couple of rolls,she tracked nice and landed with a slight tip over after she rolled to a stop.Again i forgot to touch the esc to see if it was hot,the batt was fine, and had 11.45v left in it after a 6 min flight at 60-70%throttle. For me i'd give this bird a B rating.( it was only $85 from LHS)-CHEERS MATES-KEVIN
kevin whitesell is online now Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:15 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Yellow & Black Ryan on Order...

Got one coming from BH (Banana Hobbies) soon. Looks like an interesting scale plane that "appears" to be a nifty little park flyer.

My question to the Ryan STA pilots here at RCG (since it's not very clear from most of the previous posts): Is anyone having fun with this ship, either in stock form or in some other variation?

If it's underpowered, which almost all inexpensive receiver-ready models are, has anyone put in a higher kV bell motor, or are you guys using regular (heavier) outrunners?

I'm seriously considering upgrading the power system but really wanted to know if she's good-to-go at all in stock form...Thanx...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:03 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
for a loop and a couple of rolls,she tracked nice
In stock form my elevator flexes so badly that she'll drop sideways out of loops. I added a CF strip across it which made it a bit better but it's still not good. Doesn't yours have that issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R
If it's underpowered, which almost all inexpensive receiver-ready models are, has anyone put in a higher kV bell motor, or are you guys using regular (heavier) outrunners?
I found it underpowered. See post #32 for the changes I made. It's still an 1120 kV motor but it's much more powerful. 9x6 prop seems best. With this setup and a 2200 25C 3s it will very nearly go vertical.
4x4rc is online now Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:10 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,399 Posts
To answer your question first 4x4rc-i didn't notice any signs of flexing in my elevator, which doesn't mean it won't happen'so i'll be adding cf strip to it as you did.To answer rcav8tor's question-i'm a ryan pilot who flys it stock. IT'S WORKED FOR ME BUT I WONDER CAN THAT BE LUCK? Really i wonder because this plane was only $85 and comes from china with build instuctions that were just good enough-did i just get lucky and get a motor that's good enough for now but may just crap out later??? i will keep this thread posted.Anyways good flying mates-kevin
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:39 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Stock or Otherwise...

Quote:
To answer rcav8tor's question-i'm a ryan pilot who flys it stock. IT'S WORKED FOR ME BUT I WONDER CAN THAT BE LUCK? Really i wonder because this plane was only $85 and comes from china with build instuctions that were just good enough-did i just get lucky and get a motor that's good enough for now but may just crap out later??? i will keep this thread posted.Anyways good flying mates-kevin
Thanks for the information. Mine will be here this week so I'll be getting into the assembly process soon.

I read earlier that you added nose weight to counter it being tail heavy. Have you thought of using a heavier battery? And, is there enough room in the fuse to move the 1800 mAh (or larger) battery further forward to help with establishing the recommended CG?

Either way, I'll be finding out firsthand what needs to be done to get her ready for the maiden flight...
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:03 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Up, Down & Power Mods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
In stock form my elevator flexes so badly that she'll drop sideways out of loops. I added a CF strip across it which made it a bit better but it's still not good. Doesn't yours have that issue?
I'm interested in your horizontal stab/elevator mod. Post a photo or two if you could please. Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
I found it underpowered. See post #32 for the changes I made. It's still an 1120 kV motor but it's much more powerful. 9x6 prop seems best. With this setup and a 2200 25C 3s it will very nearly go vertical.
Got a couple of motors that I'm considering putting in this ship. Biggest issue is that I don't want to hack off the stock motor mount just yet as you've done so I'm hoping that one of 'em "might" fit in the stock location. We'll have to see. I'm pretty comfortable modifying any & all of my foam birds.

I'm also hoping with just the recommended prop change that it'll at least fly with some type of authority...
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:36 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
87 Posts
Videos a bit dodgy but the Ryan seems to fly well. Only complaint was the flying wires pop off at the slightest bump and are impossible to find - strap some small pieces of coloured tape to them and they are easier to find.

As usual for a maiden flight landing and takeoff are a bit bodge.

Hobbyking Ryan STA EPO Maiden.MOV (1 min 31 sec)
RockApe is offline Find More Posts by RockApe
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
Thanks for the information. Mine will be here this week so I'll be getting into the assembly process soon.

I read earlier that you added nose weight to counter it being tail heavy. Have you thought of using a heavier battery? And, is there enough room in the fuse to move the 1800 mAh (or larger) battery further forward to help with establishing the recommended CG?

Either way, I'll be finding out firsthand what needs to be done to get her ready for the maiden flight...
Hi there rcav8tor, thank you for your input, now you got me thinking,the 1800mah batt is 159g's,while the 2200's i have are alittle heavier at 189g's for a difference of 30g's.The nose weight i have are two prop nut weights from old parkzone warbirds that weigh 18g's each. My 2200mah batts have ec3 connectors and the speed controller in the ryan has deans connectors .So i need to get around to making an adapter,then try the 2200mah batt and adjusting the weight in the nose.(TO MAKE UP THE 6 GRAM DIFFERENCE,BUT ATLEAST I'LL HAVE 34 G'S OF MORE USEFUL WEIGHT IN A HIGHER CAPACITY BATT THAN 34G'S OF DEAD WEIGHT) That won't be hard at all as i just carved a channel into the bottom of the cowl to put weights into it and then coverd it first with packing tape and then colored tape to match the paint. YOU KNOW HOW A GUY CAN GET THINKING IN ONE DIRECTION AND THEN ANOTHER GUY SAYS HEY WHAT ABOUT THIS?Well this goes to show one of the great things about rc groups ! Thanks again bud-kevin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevin whitesell; Apr 06, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,399 Posts
ROCK APE-great flying on your vid and great job on the recording. your troubles with the wires can be solved by taking some needle nose pliers and carefully crimping the ends of the spings(the hooks)at the ends of the wires and where they attach to the fuse and wings anchor points.DO THIS SIR AND THEY WILL GO NO WHERE(its alittle work and a bit of a pain but its worth it!) Good luck mate-Kevin
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2012, 11:47 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Sharing the Knowledge...

Quote:
Hi there rcav8tor, thank you for your input, now you got me thinking,the 1800mah batt is 159g's,while the 2200's i have are alittle heavier at 189g's for a difference of 30g's.The nose weight i have are two prop nut weights from old parkzone warbirds that weigh 18g's each. My 2200mah batts have ec3 connectors and the speed controller in the ryan has deans connectors .So i need to get around to making an adapter,then try the 2200mah batt and adjusting the weight in the nose.(TO MAKE UP THE 6 GRAM DIFFERENCE,BUT ATLEAST I'LL HAVE 34 G'S OF MORE USEFUL WEIGHT IN A HIGHER CAPACITY BATT THAN 34G'S OF DEAD WEIGHT) That won't be hard at all as i just carved a channel into the bottom of the cowl to put weights into it and then coverd it first with packing tape and then colored tape to match the paint. YOU KNOW HOW A GUY CAN GET THINKING IN ONE DIRECTION AND THEN ANOTHER GUY SAYS HEY WHAT ABOUT THIS?Well this goes to show one of the great things about rc groups ! Thanks again bud-kevin
Cool Beans, Kev! I just thought this was standard practice with electric birds...

Just got mine a few days ago from BH here in the states but have been out of town for the last four days. I opened the box last night & checked the parts condition & it looks like everything survived shipping so now it's time for the build. I'll start off using the 1800 mAh batteries since that's about the smallest pack that I'll use for 32" - 40" WS park flyers & I'm going with the 9x6E prop to start off with. I've got larger motors & ESC's to put in if it's a total dog...

Good luck with your experimentation. I find that to be one of the great parts of this highly unpredictable & all-consuming hobby...
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,399 Posts
RCAV8TOR-COOL BEANS-did you get that saying from the movie "Hot Rod"? I f you did funny movie,if you didn't check it out! Anyways, according to the two owners of the LHS (with a combined 60 years+ experience in the hobby )avoid at all costs adding weight to todays electric planes is not neccessary a written in stone rule.Given that it's very difficult to move electric components around to get the c of g right in this ryan ,as there is little room under the hatch. But at the time i had that conversation with these gents i didn't even think of asking-hey how about putting a heavier-higher capacity bat in to lessen the tail heavyness?This maybe because i already had a particular bat picked out to use(the 1800 mah 30-40c turnigy) IT only makes sense to try it to have useful weight instead of dead weight! This is just alittle extra info to explain ,but in all honesty bud,it reflects once again how i had blinders on until you spoke what i believe to be some common sense-thanks again.Please post how you make out with the ryan and vid is always good
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:23 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
529 Posts
Receiver Ready? Not Hardly...

Quote:
RCAV8TOR-COOL BEANS-did you get that saying from the movie "Hot Rod"? I f you did funny movie,if you didn't check it out! Anyways, according to the two owners of the LHS (with a combined 60 years+ experience in the hobby )avoid at all costs adding weight to todays electric planes is not neccessary a written in stone rule.Given that it's very difficult to move electric components around to get the c of g right in this ryan ,as there is little room under the hatch. But at the time i had that conversation with these gents i didn't even think of asking-hey how about putting a heavier-higher capacity bat in to lessen the tail heavyness?This maybe because i already had a particular bat picked out to use(the 1800 mah 30-40c turnigy) IT only makes sense to try it to have useful weight instead of dead weight! This is just alittle extra info to explain ,but in all honesty bud,it reflects once again how i had blinders on until you spoke what i believe to be some common sense-thanks again.Please post how you make out with the ryan and vid is always good
Yes, I saw the movie "Hot Rod" a long time ago. Guess I'm dating myself with that comment...

Yep, nothing is set in stone with this hobby that's for sure. That's the draw for me. I like modifying almost everything I own & now I'm enjoying the RC addiction & all that it allows in this area...

Now about this Ryan. I put most everything together but I'm stumped as to what to do about securing any size battery in the forward compartment. I have some makeshift ideas but what are you Ryan pilots doing about this? How about the ESC & the wires? Up above the battery, below it, rerouting or...

Also, I didn't detect any factory thrust angle compensation for either prop torque or throttling up. I'm using the stock motor (for now) but in a different mounting set up. So now I've added slight right & down angles using washers under the mounting plate. Anybody else doing this? Photos would be great. I'll post some of mine once I've finished with the build...

I've prepped a few Rx-R birds in my day but this one is turning out to be even more of a challenge than I expected...
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
As for securing the battery I use a 4" long 3mm CF rod that I poke down vertically through a hole in the top of the fuse into a hole in the bottom. It secures the battery in its location by not allowing it to slide out backwards. Cheap, simple, works.

I didn't like the ESC floating around in there either so I relocated it to the front under the cowl, see an earlier page in this thread for a pic. Also moves the CG forward a bit.

I'll try and get a pic of the reinforcement rod on the elevator for you.
4x4rc is online now Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:47 PM
Germany, near Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2007
32 Posts
After a few flights of my Ryan I did following now:

1. replaced the stock prop with a APC 9x6 prop. Thrust is now enough for good climbings and throttle can be reduced to ca. 50 - 60% for authentic speed.
2. The ESC is placed under the motor -> pic. 1.
3. Removed the 2 screws and 3 nuts (metallic in a foamies tail ) which fit the rudder and elevator; glued them with UHU-Por. Thats saves 7 gr. nearly 40 cm behind CG. So is no need for the additional weight (22 gr. less), total saved 29 gr. -> pic. 2 and ESC has place there.

My other modificatons are that I secured the connections wire ./. springs with short pieces of shrinking tube -> pic. 3. Here you can see too the distance plate of 2 x 6 mm depron, which I plug in to hold the lipo in position. At least the stock wheels were replaced with foam whells dia 55 mm -> pic 4.

My Ryan weighs now with 1.300 Lipo total 695 gr. and also 2.200 Lipos can be used.

Pramus
Pramus is offline Find More Posts by Pramus
Last edited by Pramus; Apr 09, 2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Im still training in english