HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:18 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,852 Posts
dmatthewman,

hahaha, "it did stop real quick".

Man, I did that same thing at a Fly-In, landed the plane nice and smooth but fairly hot, then went for my rates switch so I could reduce throws on my rudder for high speed stearing, but accidentally flicked the gear switch and I had the great pleasure of watching my new aircraft skid 100 feet down the smooth paved runway. Mine did NOT stop quick, it just kept skidding and skidding and everybody laughing and laughing.

Face Palm.

So many switches so close together!
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:22 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
haha, sorry.

I'd love to see that on video though...
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:30 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,125 Posts
That stinks. Try slipping a little piece of fuel tubing over the gear switch to give it a different feel. Mine's off on the left side of the tx not on the face. If it was I'm sure I'd have done the same thing as you more than once.

I'm grounded until I can find some 5mm music wire to fit my etracts.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:40 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,852 Posts
That's a good idea with the fuel tubing. I'm going to do that. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:29 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
That stinks. Try slipping a little piece of fuel tubing over the gear switch to give it a different feel. Mine's off on the left side of the tx not on the face. If it was I'm sure I'd have done the same thing as you more than once.

I'm grounded until I can find some 5mm music wire to fit my etracts.
Mike, try here: http://www.reidsupply.com/GrpResults...&apid=10021810

As far as I can tell from the forums (and experience) drill rod is the same as music wire. Shipping was about $12, but you wouldn't believe the packing (so as not to bend the rods). I ordered a couple of standard sizes and was very happy to have a supplier who doesn't mind working in modeller sized orders.

Regards.
jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:41 PM
Joined Dec 2008
181 Posts
Some Maiden Pics

Here are a few pics from the first two flights, courtesy of Dave, an excellent photographer/flier at our fly site. Gotta add the gear doors and detailing now that I know it flies.

It really roars by with that big 3-blade prop. I highly recommend the kit for anyone who likes Spits and doesn't mind an easy electric conversion.
mandoman is offline Find More Posts by mandoman
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
Joined Feb 2010
36 Posts
Help with Vibration

Those are some great pics Mandoman I like the first one where you clearly can see thee three blade.

I would so love to run my three blade but I cant. If anyone can offer some help it would be greatly appreciated.

I spent last night balancing props and spinners like I have never before. I even balanced the hub of the prop.

Hanger 9 Aluminium P51 2 blade Spinner (centre mount) massive vibration at around 2/3 throttle

Tru Turn Aluminium 3 blade (centre mount ) same massive vibration at 2/3rd throttle

Great planes Aluminium back plate nylon spinner (4 screw mount). No vibration.

All spinners and props tested balanced better than anything I have used before after some attention.

So I tested with just back plates, no prop and just running it up a little I couldnt see any wobble on either.

Next I tested the prop adapter (Dave Brown) for the center mount spinners. When I run it up a little and then kill the power as the shaft stops rotating I can see a little oscillation at the end of it and I am not sure if that is correct.

Thanks in advance for any tips on this one.
dmatthewman is offline Find More Posts by dmatthewman
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:51 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,852 Posts
dmatthewman,

This is the same problem I've had on a dozen spinners. The second most common problem with unbalanced spinners (next to drilling the backplate hole wrong), is a spinner bolt not spinning true. That is almost always caused by poorly manufactured bolt adapters.

I've bought a good 20 spinner bolt adapters, and only had a couple of them that were manufactured properly so that the spinner bolt turns perfectly centered. They drill the holes at goofy angles and the spinner bolt wobbles and that's enough to make the whole spinner start to vibrate.

I've finally decided to STOP using spinner bolts. Just buy a spinner & balance it properly, then drill & tap into an aluminum l-bracket from the back of the spinner plate and into the side of the spinner. I use a recessed bolt in the spinner plate, and a button head screw from the side of the spinner itself. I just did that for a 4" spinner that I bought for my Pilatus, and it worked like a charm. Took forever to make those l-brackets from stock aluminum so they were exactly the same size and weight, and once they were mounted to the spinner backplate I had to rebalance it.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing with my Spitfire now. I've never had a spinner that worked on it (tried 4 different spinners and spent almost as much as I did buying the stupid plane).

Another really smart thing to do is STOP BUYING ALUMINUM & PLASTIC SPINNERS! They are heavy, 3 or 4 times heavier than carbon fiber spinners. The more weight you have in your spinner cone, the harder it is to overcome the centrifugal forces that want to tear your plane apart. I'm doing CF spinners on everything from now on. Also, CF spinner backplates don't warp easily like aluminum backplates do.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2011, 05:47 AM
Joined Dec 2008
181 Posts
Guess I got lucky on mine, the spinner ran absolutely true right out of the box, unless I tightened the retaining screw too much, then the backplate warped into a cone and went out of true. I just ran the screw in enough to close up the spinner, with a dollop of loctite to keep it there and it was fine.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:55 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,887 Posts
Glamour Gal

....just about completed. I've been thinking of making a scale tailwheel but will probably fly her first - hopefully this month. Before the big day she needs a bigger battery tray for the 5s 4400 though.
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by capteasy; Aug 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 03:37 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,852 Posts
SHOCKING DETAIL!

You are the master!

Thanks for the pics.

Please please get some good video when it flies!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:20 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Mindblowing
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:25 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,361 Posts
Wow! That is an extraordinary build. Can't tell you how impressed I am. Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:57 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,887 Posts
Well, I thank you all for being so helpful and supportive. I am proud of the way it's come out and honestly it's been such a pleasure working on it and sharing with you all.
After the battery tray is redone and the main gear is operating consistantly I plan on taking her to a proper airfield with plenty of airspace and a decent runway for the maiden. I'll try to insure proper video will be available.
Cheers all, Dick
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Apr 03, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Dec 2008
181 Posts
spectacular work Capt! I'd be afraid to take it out of the house, let alone fly it.

Dmatthewman: sorry for the late response to your earlier question about flaperons and the suspension struts.

I don't hit the flaperons until I'm on final, so no worry about how they affect the turns from downwind and base. I use about 10 degrees on the first click and about 20 degrees on the second. They seem to work well and do help slow it down.

The struts are these:

http://www.rcskylite.com/products/40...eo-Struts.html

They fit the 5mm pin holes in the electronic retracts. I had to do a bit of dremeling on the hardwood blocks where the e-tracts mount, moving the housings a bit closer to the airplane centerline because the struts are about 5mm too long, but that just moves them to a more scale location anyway and only took about 5 minutes. I also took out the well liners and put on larger 2.5" foam wheels.