New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2015, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by dcheli
United States, WA, Poulsbo
Joined Nov 2012
87 Posts
Our club is only about 50 members and usually only 3 or 4 there on weekdays, when I usually fly, retired, only couple up at a time and one most of the tme.
dcheli is offline Find More Posts by dcheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2015, 01:47 PM
Joined Nov 2012
87 Posts
Three more flights today, no prblems.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by shastamike
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheli View Post
Three more flights today, no prblems.
Good news.
I had mine out this morning. Still running off the paved runway doing "the walk of shame". Got it to ground loop a couple of times and stay on, but that was about the best. Starting to think about wheel alignment. Most of my planes have a really weird toe out or in. Camber. I used to straighten my P-51 LG out as it bends easily, but found that the really weird camber helps it land straight. WIth the Pacer I found the LG to be bent when I was building. I straighten out the LG wire that the wheels mound on. maybe a big mistake.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Apr 18, 2015, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,419 Posts
On the auction block

I had the Pacer out again today and just could not get comfortable with its take off and landing characteristics. It is a beautiful plane and flies relatively well in the air. However, takeoffs and landings are just beyond my patience.

On take offs, she does well until the tail clears the ground. Then its anybody's game which direction she will go - sometimes right, sometimes left. The landing gear is just too stiff to get a greased landing - fast or slow. On hot landings she bounces back into the air. On slow landings she ground loops. Too much fenesse required. Not my cup of tea.

I have 15 other scale planes and this one is the most difficult to perform consistent good takeoffs and landings. In my club, I have a reputation of making greased landings - not with this bird. I don't like to make the walk of shame for every flight. She has got to go.

I will be putting her up for sale - fully assembled - local pickup only - 21045. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.
Vic
Iflyrc_vic is online now Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Apr 18, 2015 at 08:24 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by davidrd
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
192 Posts
I have much the same characteristics with mine. I agree she is a beautiful plane and once in the air it is not an issue. I may do the same as you. Thinkin bout that eflite Super Cub.....
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
I had the Pacer out again today and just could not get comfortable with its take off and landing characteristics. It is a beautiful plane and flies relatively well in the air. However, takeoffs and landings are just beyond my patience.

On take offs, she does well until the tail clears the ground. Then its anybody's game which direction she will go - sometimes right, sometimes left. The landing gear is just too stiff to get a greased landing - fast or slow. On hot landings she bounces back into the air. On slow landings she ground loops. Too much fenesse required. Not my cup of tea.

I have 15 other scale planes and this one is the most difficult to perform consistent good takeoffs and landings. In my club, I have a reputation of making greased landings - not with this bird. I don't like to make the walk of shame for every flight. She has got to go.

I will be putting her up for sale - fully assembled - local pickup only - 21045. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.
Vic
I also take pride in my landings. The guy who owns the field always says "nice landing" as the Pacer touches and I think "not until it's over" and off she goes. The walk of shame.
Mike
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by Cocg
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
2,960 Posts
You guys got me curious on the ground handling thing.. Always wanted one .. Wish you were near for those looking to get rid of them (ahh.. Thanks for giving the Zip Code instead of just writing where... )
Cocg is offline Find More Posts by Cocg
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by Nuclear Knights
Anhedral
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2013
576 Posts
Quote:

Vic
A $50 Guardian fixes all of that, tames the little beast.
Nuclear Knights is offline Find More Posts by Nuclear Knights
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Quad with retracts
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,419 Posts
Guardian???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Knights View Post
A $50 Guardian fixes all of that, tames the little beast.
I hate it when folks post teasers like that.

First, we are all suppose to know what a guardian is. Secondly, where can you purchase it for $50? Third, what radio systems does it work with? Finally, if the model needs an electronic gadget to make it fly properly, I don't want it. Thanks, but no thanks.

I took the time to do a Google search and found the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D stabilization system. I did not see any for under $65.
Iflyrc_vic is online now Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Apr 19, 2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by Nuclear Knights
Anhedral
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2013
576 Posts
Quote:
I hate it when folks post teasers like that.

First, we are all suppose to know what a guardian is. Secondly, where can you purchase it for $50? Third, what radio systems does it work with? Finally, if the model needs an electronic gadget to make it fly properly, I don't want it. Thanks, but no thanks.

I took the time to do a Google search and found the Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D stabilization system. I did not see any for under $65.
Sorry
Nuclear Knights is offline Find More Posts by Nuclear Knights
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Quad with retracts
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:12 PM
Joined Nov 2012
87 Posts
Fist mishap, ran off runway, hit safety fence . Dinged the cowl, popped the screws out. Didn't take it apart yet, should be easy repair.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:59 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheli View Post
Fist mishap, ran off runway, hit safety fence . Dinged the cowl, popped the screws out. Didn't take it apart yet, should be easy repair.
Is this one of those landings where the plane is rolling on the ground but there is no rudder control?
Mine does this and it's amazing that with all that rudder once the prop stops turning there is no airflow over the rudder to push the tail around. It's either a tight ground loop and some hopping, or straight off the runway. I'm on tarmac though. No safety fence, just a couple of ponds and a creek.
Mike
Old Apr 20, 2015, 02:52 PM
Joined Nov 2012
87 Posts
No it was on take off, just didn't shut it down soon enough, on grass. A little larger tail wheel might help alot for just taxing around. Mine taxis ok, it's really short grass.