SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by charlieuk
United Kingdom, The City of Brighton and Hove
Joined Jan 2003
883 Posts
Discussion
is micro ds posable ?

Just wondering what are the smallest ds spots people have flown and with what models, im just curios as to just how small it is possible to go and what it is possible to try and ds. I have started playing with small and micro gliders quite a lot so will be trying things myself but just wondered has any one else tried micro ds. My guess is that turbulence will be the biggest factor
charlieuk is offline Find More Posts by charlieuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2015, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by Aerogance
Here comes the wind!
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
3,416 Posts
Related info:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1636921
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Aug 05, 2015, 05:40 PM
Joined Jan 2003
883 Posts
cheers many thanks some good info on a few modles and like the look of the stab extreme however I have had a good look around and cant find much on what sites people are micro ds'ing. im just trying to decide if to use normal micro servos or go for a spectrum brick style setup and then ether a plank or a conventional setup first.
Old Aug 05, 2015, 11:07 PM
Here comes the wind!
Joined Sep 2008
3,416 Posts
I think the Spectrum brick could work on a small ship but there is decent slop and not much torque available so it could take some creative geometry to get things working nicely.
Old Aug 09, 2015, 03:35 AM
Joined Jan 2003
883 Posts
the last few day's I have been searching high and low for micro ds spots( mainly small trees and hedges) and trying to fly them with a 38" foamy which was semi sucsessfull but im pretty convinced that a small hard model could work quite well. I think I may go for convectional micro gear as its a lot cheaper. I have my own cnc here so hoping I can cut a wing mold on the although it will probably have to be tooling foam or passably corian and not ali. I also have mountains of glass and some carbon of cuts and plenty of epoxy as I build surfboards and paddleboards for a living.

what im wondering is would anyone be interested be helping designing something as although I can get most things to fly I think there are probably a lot of other people who have way more knowledge on what would work best. I would be more than happy to share what ever come out the mold with anyone who can help if not I will just make it up as I go along.
Old Aug 09, 2015, 05:04 AM
Find More Posts by minirotor
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieuk View Post
the last few day's I have been searching high and low for micro ds spots( mainly small trees and hedges) and trying to fly them with a 38" foamy which was semi sucsessfull but im pretty convinced that a small hard model could work quite well. I think I may go for convectional micro gear as its a lot cheaper. I have my own cnc here so hoping I can cut a wing mold on the although it will probably have to be tooling foam or passably corian and not ali. I also have mountains of glass and some carbon of cuts and plenty of epoxy as I build surfboards and paddleboards for a living.

what im wondering is would anyone be interested be helping designing something as although I can get most things to fly I think there are probably a lot of other people who have way more knowledge on what would work best. I would be more than happy to share what ever come out the mold with anyone who can help if not I will just make it up as I go along.
One of these Tough little bugger glider are ideal for small DSing;[38"--glass/carbin]
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...81085&page=113
minirotor is offline Find More Posts by minirotor
Old Aug 09, 2015, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
Remember... Fly for fun!
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
6,126 Posts
I had good success DSing a UMX ASK-21 from E-flite

Was DSing a 4m high dune
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2015, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2003
883 Posts
i tried ds's ing my 63 gram multiplex mini solius but it was not quite slippery enough and had a bit to much flex in the wing and fuzz but I'm thinking something of a similar size so 20-25" I like the look of the stab extreme but not sure if for such a small model a tail would be better or worse.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,930 Posts
My 20" DS glider.

Speedster 20 DS (1 min 41 sec)

And my small DS site

Wiesel light, Sloping and DS (2 min 14 sec)

5 meter dune and 2,5 meter Arthobby Thermik
Arthobby Thermic 2,5. At the beach. (1 min 43 sec)

Cheers
Soren
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Aug 11, 2015, 03:33 PM
Here comes the wind!
Joined Sep 2008
3,416 Posts
That is incredible that you DS's a small wall. That is what I knew could be possible. Excellent!

The other side of the coin is to try to take a tiny DS plane to very high speed.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 02:19 AM
Joined Jan 2003
883 Posts
the wall is the closest to what I have been looking at. we used to have a great spot on the edge of a hill that was behind some bushes that worked amazing but the national trust went and cleared all the bushes so that as now gone completely. The spots I have been trying are very marginal so having something efficient is going to be key. I could just nock something up out of foam and glass but seeing as I have the cnc here its seams crazy not to use it its just I don't have the knowledge of what to do on the computer. Bellow is one of the spots I have been trying and my cnc cutting a 14'board.
Last edited by charlieuk; Aug 12, 2015 at 02:25 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by guamflyer
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
264 Posts
I just found a small ds spot..it really is quite a challenge..keeping the speed up is challenging for small birds..
guamflyer is offline Find More Posts by guamflyer
Old Aug 23, 2015, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by guamflyer
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
264 Posts
i'm also wondering what foils are used these days ....

Hi speed Hi wind foils sorta compared to light lift med speed foils in relation to flight
guamflyer is offline Find More Posts by guamflyer