Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
2,032 Posts
Build Log
A DH89-A Dragon Rapide for the lake

Five years ago I was looking around for a new project to build and since I really admired the designs of Ivan Pettigrew I decided to finally take the first step and get plans for one of his airplane designs. I thought that the DH89-A Dragon Rapide would be an airplane not often modeled so that is what I chose. I fly primarily off of the water, though, so I wanted to include an option to mount floats on the airplane. Being somewhat of a scale nut, before I did this I wanted to see if the full scale airplane ever had had floats mounted. A little research showed that it had indeed been done and with some success. I chose to render my version as a Dragon operated by Queen Charlotte Airlines in Canada many years ago. Although the float installation worked it was not economically viable for the airline due to the added weight and drag of the floats reducing the payload of the airplane and it was soon abandoned. Still, for my purposes, their version made for an attractive model so that was what I chose.
My build started about five years ago and has become a "shelf model" for the most part. It was constantly being shoved back in the build que for another build that "just had to be done first" I think that this has happened about four times now and will probably happen again but I just like having something on my work table to work on once in awhile so here it is again.

I'm starting this showing what has been done at this time. It will have the option of using wheeled landing gear or floats. Either option only takes the removal of a couple of screws to make the change. This will probably not be a traditional build log but more of an occasional progress report. I hope that it won't take another five years to completion, though.

Jim
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by baldguy
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,764 Posts
Yahoo! I've got this plan blown up to 1/6 scale for a 96" span. Another someday build.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Apr 24, 2015, 01:43 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
2,032 Posts
These will show the color scheme that I will be using for the Dragon

Jim
Old Apr 24, 2015, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by campbelltf
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
322 Posts
Such a distinctive plane. And on floats? Fahgetaboutit! I'll watch.
campbelltf is online now Find More Posts by campbelltf
Old Apr 24, 2015, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
2,265 Posts
Jim,

The Dragon Rapide on floats will reall look great! Just the Dragon Rapide is a cool design but on floats with your color scheme....sure won't be confused for an ARF...

Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
Old Apr 24, 2015, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
3,127 Posts
Ivan put his Dragon Rapide on floats (there's a picture on his plans page) but he did say that it flew much better off wheels!

Great workmanship on the model Jim, those cowls look the biz.
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Apr 24, 2015, 04:56 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
2,032 Posts
Mike,

I'm sure that the Rapide will indeed fly better without the floats and that's why I making the plane easily converted between land and water. I'm always ready for something new, though, and having something said about it can't be done only makes it more of a challenge for me. What's life without a challenge once in awhile?

Jim
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by ChrisS
Really?!?
Lost ...on the 3rd rock out
Joined Sep 2001
1,337 Posts
Though not the Rapide, I did build one of Ivan's Dragonfly' a year ago. Wonderful flyer and you can't believe how good they look in the sky. It never fails to get all kinds of attention whenever I take it to the field. It's one of those planes people stop flying to watch. This plane will likely become your masterpiece. Finish it up, we all want to see it.

Here's my build log:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1974562

Chris
ChrisS is online now Find More Posts by ChrisS
Old May 03, 2015, 04:41 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
2,032 Posts
I'm still working on the Dragon in my spare time. I do a little covering when I feel like doing that and then switch to other tasks. After thinking about it, I decided to build the top wing before I start on the fuselage. That way, I can do the fitting, fuselage to wing, rather than the other way around. I'm making a two piece wing to make transport and storage easier.

Jim
Old May 03, 2015, 04:44 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
2,032 Posts
A few pictures

Jim
Old May 05, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Bart83
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
2,441 Posts
here he goes again . . .

Nice work Jim , intresting subject.

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old May 05, 2015, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by Sam Agassiz
Joined Mar 2005
270 Posts
Ah, yes QCA - "The Accidental Airline". Despite what I'm about to tell you, QCA was not called "the Accidental Airline" because it was more accident prone than any other pioneering air service on this glorious coast, but because the airline came into being "by accident", picking up the odd passenger - in the days before regulations - while Jimmy Spilsbury, the "father of QCA", was delivering radio parts to distant fishing vessels, and doing on-the-spot service on the radio sets of his very own manufacture that were installed on those boats.

Jimmy saw the commercial potential in these hitchhikers and picked up a coupla DH89 immediately after WWII. Put them on floats. One day one of them had gone "up the coast" to pick up a coupla nurses returning from a distant logging camp to the throbbing metropolis of Vancouver. Vancouver-bound after having made the pick-up, the pilot was caught by the gathering dusk, and, as everything was VFR on this coast in those days, he dropped the aircraft in a remove inlet where there was what passed for a "hotel" in those days. There was also a quite active "First Nations" fishing community. One of the local lads came in from sea a tad short on fuel for the old Evinrude, so in the morning it was the DH89 that, unbeknownst to the pilot, was a tad short of fuel.

Lumbering along at 500 feet over some remote island covered with primeval forest the engines coughed and quit. The pilot realized that with his L/D there was NO WAY he could reach water, so he did what any sensible bush pilot would do: He brought the aircraft in sort of low and dead slow and aimed the fuselage right between two mighty cedar trees so the wings were wiped off the aircraft and the forward motion was stopped gently, sort of, as the fuse settled to the forest floor. Being obviously smarter than the average bear, our intrepid pilot wrenched the landing light off the tattered wing, got the battery outta the fuse, and set up to use the light as an Aldis lamp. Then he settled down to party with his nurses.

Coupla days later when somebody thot the aircraft shoulda been back in Vancouver's Coal Harbour but wasn't, a search aircraft went out to see what they could see. When our man heard the aircraft he took a break from the partying and managed to flash the search aircraft with his homemade Aldis. The search aircraft reported back to Vancouver, and a coupla days later a boat arrived at the island and took them all back to the metropolis. Such a wonderful rescue called for a continuation of the party at the old Hotel Cecil on Granville Street - drinks on the pilot.

The aircraft was left where it lay, but I dare say that the wreckage is gone these five and sixty years later. But for the fact that "the Cece" was torn down a dozen years ago the nurses and the pilot might still have been partying there.

Some other day I may tell you about "the Cece" :-)

Cheers

Sam
Sam Agassiz is offline Find More Posts by Sam Agassiz
Old May 08, 2015, 10:13 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
2,032 Posts
Hey Sam, that was an interesting story. Thanks. I have a bit of the feeling for the type of flying that went on, and still does to a certain extent, in the far north so I can believe that the type of things that you describe weren't much off of the norm. I flew an old C-119 for about six months on a contract, all over Alaska, and there were a lot of stories. Great flying, though.

My rendition of the DH89 should be fun but I hope to have more success than the one that you described.

Thanks, Bart. The first half of the top wing is about done so I'll keep plugging away at the airplane until something better comes along--like a new Dornier.

Jim
Old May 09, 2015, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by Robert R
It's a fine fiddly business.
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,629 Posts
Completely and totally subscribed. I love the Dragon Rapide
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old May 10, 2015, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by Bart83
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
2,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier View Post

Thanks, Bart. The first half of the top wing is about done so I'll keep plugging away at the airplane until something better comes along--like a new Dornier.

Jim
Funny you mention that . . . cant wait to get building on that one either. PLans are ready for printing . . . .

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83