New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2014, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by AcroFPV
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,496 Posts
Alert
The new RunCam not compatible with MinimOSD, maybe others?

I bought one of them RunCam Beta's when they were on sale. I hooked it up and was disapointed with the problems I encountered. The biggest issue was the fact that my OSD no longer was bright and easy to read. It was now dim and flickered.

I made a video and sent it to RunCam. Also, another friend of mine with this new RunCam Beta had the exact same issues with his Skylark OSD, while I am using MinimOSD.

RunCam offered to send me one of their "new and improved" runcams. I finally got it today:

I was quick to hook it up to my Quadcopter to see if it was as good as the old PZ0420's we are used to. But nope... its just as bad, if not WORSE than the first RunCam Beta.

I will just let the following video speak for itself.
Second Failed RUNCAM (1 min 5 sec)

I will be handing this "updated" runcam off to some friends who use Skylark OSD, and ezUHF OSD's to see if they experience the same issues.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Last edited by AcroFPV; Apr 24, 2014 at 03:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2014, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by punkindrublik
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
10,333 Posts
Uh yeah, that sucks...
punkindrublik is offline Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV is NOT A CRIME!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 03:49 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,496 Posts
It sure is pretty tho.

They changed the plug design on the back...

And its really light.

But none of that matters if I cant use it.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,881 Posts
I wish they'd put the lens at the top of the board!
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Apr 23, 2014, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by RunCam
Joined Feb 2014
759 Posts
Hi Brian

Thanks for sharing your first impression about the SKY and sorry for the OSD display still not clear enough for your standard.

As you can see, we modified the case of the camera and it is about 10g lighter than beta version. Besides, we also made some improvements regarding the compatiblity with DVR and goggles based on your guys' feedback for beta version. We hope you can test the new cam outdoor and provide a more detailed review.

And could you please inform me what equipment and OSD brand did you use when you were testing the cam?

Thanks advance.

Regards,
Shannon
RunCam Group
RunCam is offline Find More Posts by RunCam
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:27 AM
Find More Posts by bimdas
quadiger
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2013
680 Posts
have you got ground wires on the 12v side of your kvosd? If not then try adding them. Quite a few of these recent cameras don't play nice with the minimosd hardware if you don't ground the video in and out.
bimdas is offline Find More Posts by bimdas
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:02 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,595 Posts
It is out of focus for your test, you can't judge the focus of a camera from 30cm, when FPV means focus at infinite.

The second issue could be too many TVL, not supported by the MAX 7456 chip used by most text OSD today. The standard ends at 600TVL, everything beyond this limit is not standard and you can't complain if not supported by certain OSD if you knew camera TVL rating in the moment of purchase.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:23 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimdas View Post
have you got ground wires on the 12v side of your kvosd? If not then try adding them. Quite a few of these recent cameras don't play nice with the minimosd hardware if you don't ground the video in and out.
Yes its wired properly. I have three different MinimOSD boards. A witespy modded board with the 5v jumper soldered so the Digital and Analog side share voltage. This setup I do share grounds with the VID because my FPV gear is powered by a seperate 3S and the OSD/FC/Motors are powered with a 4S.

I have two RCTimer OSD Boards, one jumpered and the other is not. I have tested these boards as well and have got the same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
It is out of focus for your test, you can't judge the focus of a camera from 30cm, when FPV means focus at infinite.

The second issue could be too many TVL, not supported by the MAX 7456 chip used by most text OSD today. The standard ends at 600TVL, everything beyond this limit is not standard and you can't complain if not supported by certain OSD if you knew camera TVL rating in the moment of purchase.
The focus does not matter in this case. I didn't even take time to adjust the lens, i just wanted to see if this Camera would work with my OSD, and it did not. The RunCam is a 650tvl NTSC, and the PZ0420 is 600tvl, so you may be on to something.

The old RunCam also gave me issues with the DVR in my Ground Station. All of the flights I recorded using the RunCam were filesize 0. When I switched the RunCam out for my old PZ0420, my DVR recorded the flight just fine

I am going to be testing a 700tvl camera soon so it will be interesting to see if the same issue occurs.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:28 AM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,496 Posts
Here is a video review a buddy of mine did with his RunCam Beta:
Runcam Skycam Review (5 min 10 sec)

He goes over the same issues I have with my RunCam Beta. DVR & OSD problems. He is NOT using MinimOSD, but a Skylark OSD.

I will do some DVR tests tomorrow with and without the OSD board, and I will have a 700TVL el-cheapo FPV cam to test as well.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by Truglodite
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,546 Posts
Pal standard uses 600 scan lines, regardless if it comes from a big or small sensor, and independent of the number of tvl on the display. I think the dim osd problem is related to black and white levels of the composite signal itself. Perhaps bias/clamping/coupling is off... not quite 0.3 black and 0.7 white. Just a thought... I am not an analog video expert. :P

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Apr 25, 2014, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by jwmachon
Joined Dec 2008
511 Posts
What was the picture quality like on the v2 compared to v1 as v1 seemed way over saturated
jwmachon is offline Find More Posts by jwmachon
Old Apr 25, 2014, 03:46 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmachon View Post
What was the picture quality like on the v2 compared to v1 as v1 seemed way over saturated
This is the video i made with the first RunCam I received:
OSD issue with RUNCAM (0 min 53 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
1,247 Posts
Is this runcam PZ0420M from sc2000 compatible with minimosd ?
Jack_LaLanne is offline Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
17,595 Posts
if 650 TVL or less, yes.
From 700 starts the uncertainty.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 20, 2014, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
1,247 Posts
it's this one right here http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...PV-Camera.html says 600 tvl

anybody able to confirm this is known working with minim (maxchip) osd ?
Jack_LaLanne is offline Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne