SkySwiper is online now Find More Posts by SkySwiper
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2015, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,503 Posts
Is this a new design? Details/specs/foil/etc?
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Sep 02, 2015, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,197 Posts
Pictures too please,

Looks like it flys great,
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
Old Today, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by grfcon
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,923 Posts
still dig the music on this..nice pic George. gotta finish my 80" X racer I got from Dan forever ago. same foil I believe.
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Today, 03:51 PM
Find More Posts by SkySwiper
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jul 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle View Post
Is this a new design? Details/specs/foil/etc?
Hi you guys glad your all interested in this little plane it really rips up the sky. I know that the wing is one piece all Carbon Fiber about 48inch wingspan. The fuse is epp and the weight is about 18ozs total. The plane is very fun to fly but you really got to stay on the sticks and keep up the speed. I have very little experience with planks and flying them is a little different than any other planes I have flown. Dan is working on another plane for me at this time with a few changes. I will be posting some pictures of the build and some video of that plane. Here is Dans number please call him if you have any interest he will be happy to answer any of your questions. Dan 909-648-4982
Last edited by SkySwiper; Today at 04:17 PM.
Old Today, 04:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
555 Posts
Dans Machine

Here are some pics of the wing he is building he has rounded the wing tips on this plane otherwise its the same. We are going to make this with a little more weight. I am having some digital servos for this next plane and we think its going to make a difference in the way the plane flies. I will post more pictures as soon as I get them.
Old Today, 04:44 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,503 Posts
If it's a PW51 or variant it will definitely benefit from more weight if it's flying at only 18 oz.
Old Today, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by Redfarren
foam is fun, but glass is fast
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
556 Posts
Hey Dom, these are cut from the same templets I was pm'ing with you about. I modified some cores dan and I cut to better match my dead poke40 wing. I straightened out the leading edge and shortened them down to 43". My all up weight using a stock pokey fuse and a light carbon layup came in at 11 Oz, best speed we got on our crap bushnell radar is 130 mph.
I was really happy with the flying caricteristics, was tough to nail cg with the narrowish cord but once I did no trim change at speed! I've bashed it to many times hitting yuccas and rocks with it so its sitting waiting for leading edge repairs
James
Redfarren is online now Find More Posts by Redfarren
Old Today, 05:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
555 Posts
Hi James Dan was saying how well your plane flew the other day he seamed pleased with your results. Hes shooting for a weight of 24-26ozs on this next plane. Norco will be blowing soon and he wants to DS them and see how they do should be a good time. Hopefully youl be able to join us this year James??
Old Today, 05:39 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfarren View Post
Hey Dom, these are cut from the same templets I was pm'ing with you about. I modified some cores dan and I cut to better match my dead poke40 wing. I straightened out the leading edge and shortened them down to 43". My all up weight using a stock pokey fuse and a light carbon layup came in at 11 Oz, best speed we got on our crap bushnell radar is 130 mph.
I was really happy with the flying caricteristics, was tough to nail cg with the narrowish cord but once I did no trim change at speed! I've bashed it to many times hitting yuccas and rocks with it so its sitting waiting for leading edge repairs
James
130 mph at that weight is a win! No trim change is a double win!!

I was going for this same performance with a 16 oz Zipper I bought off the boards last year. It was advertised as a PW51 but it had the old foil instead, and the trim changes at speed were too frustrating to deal with.

I looked for your PM but it looks like I lost it. My bagging system is up and running now and I have a stockpile of carbon cloth...very interested!
Old Today, 06:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle View Post
130 mph at that weight is a win! No trim change is a double win!!

I was going for this same performance with a 16 oz Zipper I bought off the boards last year. It was advertised as a PW51 but it had the old foil instead, and the trim changes at speed were too frustrating to deal with.

I looked for your PM but it looks like I lost it. My bagging system is up and running now and I have a stockpile of carbon cloth...very interested!

I was going to mention we seam to have some trouble with the trim at times with Dans plane. However he said he had cheap analog servos we are hoping this problem will be solved with the digital servos any thoughts??
Old Today, 06:42 PM
Joined Jul 2011
555 Posts
Oh I was wondering if you all thought it made a difference rounded wing tips verses the strait tips. I had him do mine rounded but I have no proof it would make a difference?
Old Today, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by Redfarren
foam is fun, but glass is fast
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
556 Posts
Look what I just found hehe, my other set of 48" machine cores
Trying to figure out if I can make it down to the san berdo and chill (ya right) with dan the man..
Dom the pm was regarding your bagging system not working and my offering the possibility of me lending you mine.
I should stay home and get my 2 fully shaped plank fuse plugs glassed, one for a 40-45" wing other for a larger span. if dan likes them I was gonna let him borrow the molds if they ever get finished..have everything but the time to build, already worked a full years worth of hours

George I still have flyboy jimi's Jw on the bench,,, looking for the new fuse I made now...
Redfarren is online now Find More Posts by Redfarren
Old Today, 06:59 PM
Joined Jul 2011
555 Posts
Come out James will be flying this weekend I am sure.