New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Sep 01, 2015, 10:53 AM
Valleyflyer1 is offline
Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
www.minizrcstore.com
Joined Sep 2015
6 Posts
Help!
70mm EDF F-16 motor and fan help

I've flown edf foam jets for 10 years now and have only built jets that already had the motor and esc installed. I purchased a foam F-16 with a 70mm fan and no electronics. Looking for suggestions on motor, fan, battery and speed control. There are so many options online and it is hard to find the right combo. The jet has fixed landing gear and is your standard 70mm foam F-16 jet. Not sure of the manufacturer. Would like it to be quick, but doesn't need to break the sound barrier.

Also, do you recommend a fan with 4, 5 or more blades.

thanks in advance,
John
Valleyflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2015, 01:02 PM
turbonut is online now
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
turbonut's Avatar
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,408 Posts
That is the problem..too many options out there..we need more info. A pic of the plane will help maybe some one can ID it.
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2015, 04:33 PM
Valleyflyer1 is offline
Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
www.minizrcstore.com
Joined Sep 2015
6 Posts
It is an AirField 70mm F-16

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a16-air...rtf-24ghz.html

Wingspan: 780mm (30.7 in)
Length: 1230mm (48.5 in)
Flying Weight: 1000g (35.3 oz)
Drive System: 70mm Ducted Fan (Powerful Outrunner Brushless Motor)
Valleyflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2015, 08:47 PM
Valleyflyer1 is offline
Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
www.minizrcstore.com
Joined Sep 2015
6 Posts
Doing some research and looking at H.E.T. 2W-20 with 6904 (4 blade fan unit) and an H.E.T.-75A esc. What do you think?
Valleyflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2015, 09:32 PM
topher is online now
Find More Posts by topher
Registered User
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
376 Posts
Perfect setup. I run that in my airfield/fms f4. Fun on 4s, ballistic
On 5s! ( with a heat sink on the motor)
topher is online now Find More Posts by topher
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2015, 10:11 PM
efflux RC is offline
Find More Posts by efflux RC
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
9,642 Posts
Valley Flyer

Where do you fly?

As suggested above, the HET 6904 with 2W-20 motor would be fine. The EDF had 4 blades.

Another choice, with a little nicer sound is the Wemotec Minifan EVO. (9 blades)
You can use the same 2W-20 motor but the amp draw will be a few more. The 2W-22 motor will bring the amps back down by a few.
I'd stay with the 2W-20 for either.
you can use a 75A ESC for all the above possibilites and will fly most 70mm EDF very nicely.

The 2-W-20 in the HET EDF is about 2.8 lbs thrust.

you can use a 4s, 30c, 2500-2600 mAh pack.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2015, 10:14 PM
efflux RC is offline
Find More Posts by efflux RC
efflux RC's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
9,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
Perfect setup. I run that in my airfield/fms f4. Fun on 4s, ballistic
On 5s! ( with a heat sink on the motor)
It works on 5s at your5000' elevation (with a heat sink).

I don't recommend it for guys at lower elevations (0-2000')
Just though I'd throw that in there for the newer folks.
Stick with 4s.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Oct 2014
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2015, 08:45 AM
Valleyflyer1 is offline
Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
www.minizrcstore.com
Joined Sep 2015
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Where do you fly?

As suggested above, the HET 6904 with 2W-20 motor would be fine. The EDF had 4 blades.

Another choice, with a little nicer sound is the Wemotec Minifan EVO. (9 blades)
You can use the same 2W-20 motor but the amp draw will be a few more. The 2W-22 motor will bring the amps back down by a few.
I'd stay with the 2W-20 for either.
you can use a 75A ESC for all the above possibilites and will fly most 70mm EDF very nicely.

The 2-W-20 in the HET EDF is about 2.8 lbs thrust.

you can use a 4s, 30c, 2500-2600 mAh pack.
Thanks all for the help. Going with the 2W-20 and 6904. Will post some pics and flying results shortly. Unfortunately the F-16 doesn't allow for a lot of room for a single battery. May split the compartments up with two 2 cells in series.
Valleyflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2015, 10:28 AM
turbonut is online now
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
turbonut's Avatar
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,408 Posts
With the set up your looking at set your timer to 3min. adjust from there..
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2015, 03:39 PM
Valleyflyer1 is offline
Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
www.minizrcstore.com
Joined Sep 2015
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
With the set up your looking at set your timer to 3min. adjust from there..
Wow! that's not very long. How would the number of blades affect run time and performance? I have a 6 blade fan. Maybe series some higher MAH 2 cells, to increase run time.
Valleyflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2015, 03:58 PM
turbonut is online now
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
turbonut's Avatar
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,408 Posts
A lot depends on the fan design. most of the time more blades is more load so more amps. I think that jet calls for a 2200 mah pack. If you have room and can reset the cg correctly you can go up on mah. Gary(EfluxRC) can give you an amp draw on that set up. I design my 70mm jets for 4000mah 4cell and set my timer at 6min but I only use wot for a few short burst.. 3min is just a good starting point depending on set up and flying style adjust from there.I get between 800 and 950 watts on most of the set ups I use.
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2015, 04:04 PM
Valleyflyer1 is offline
Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
www.minizrcstore.com
Joined Sep 2015
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
A lot depends on the fan design. most of the time more blades is more load so more amps. I think that jet calls for a 2200 mah pack. If you have room and can reset the cg correctly you can go up on mah. Gary(EfluxRC) can give you an amp draw on that set up. I design my 70mm jets for 4000mah 4cell and set my timer at 6min but I only use wot for a few short burst.. 3min is just a good starting point depending on set up and flying style adjust from there.I get between 800 and 950 watts on most of the set ups I use.
All good. I will set for 3 min. and adjust from there. Is the CG the same on most F-16"s? Don't have any paper work with this jet.
Valleyflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Valleyflyer1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2015, 05:36 PM
turbonut is online now
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
turbonut's Avatar
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,408 Posts
Check one of the threads for that plane and see if some one there can give you the correct CG
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question [HELP] LX F-16 Fighting Falcon 360 Degree Vector 70mm EDF Super Scale RC JET ARF madden21 Large EDF Jets 1 May 10, 2015 07:13 AM
Discussion FMS 70MM F-16 70mm 10 Blade EDF Jet Rsurfer Foamy EDFs 2 Mar 17, 2015 11:38 PM
Sold LX F-117 Nighthawk 70mm EDF With Retracts/Motor/Fan/ESC jimmy34256 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 6 Feb 27, 2015 10:12 PM
Sold Stock free wing f-16 70mm fan and motor unit unflown 2low Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 Oct 22, 2014 05:45 PM
For Sale NEW! EDF 70mm Motors/fans/ESC BlitzRC F-18 Thmprusmc Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 3 Oct 04, 2014 02:49 PM