Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,828 Posts
Discussion
New F3P Sequences for 2016/2017

Hello Indoor Pilots,

the FAI has published new F3P sequences for 2016/2017. For the first time, there is now also an "official" sequence for entry level/advanced pilots - basically a simplified F3P AP-17 version.

As usual I use the FAI sequences as guidelines for the F3P-Sport and F3P-Expert programmes at the DMFV German Indoor Aerobatics Championships.

The new AA-17 appears much easier to perform than the previous national F3P-B/ -Sport sequence (for years, competitors have been flying a "Horizontal Circle with a single roll integrated"). In AA-17, the maneuver with the highest K-factor (K=6) is now supposed to be a simple "Horizontal Eight" (which was flown at entry level in Indoor competitions since 2001).

I was considering the following changes for the DMFV F3P-Sport sequence (changes marked in RED):

The stall turn will be flown exactly the same as the first stall turn in AP-17 and ends after leveling off. This enables the pilot to fly the "Double Immelmann" in the middle of the hall (as in AP-17) and position the model for the "Horizontal Eight" either in the front or the back of the hall.

For the "Half Rectangular" I considered adding a full roll.

The "Half Circle" could be flown in "Knife Edge". For pilots who have been flying rolling circles with integrated rolls for years, this will still be very easy.

The "Alternative Torque-Roll" could be made mandatory (as it was a mandatory manoeuvre in the previous F3P-B/ -Sport sequences).

The K-Factors should be modified, to reflect the actual difficulty level of the manoeuvres:

Stall Turn - K=2 (instead of 3)
Horizontal Eight - K=3 (instead of 6)
Humpty-Bump - K=2 (instead of 3)
Cobra-Roll - K=3 (instead of 5)
Torque-Rolle - K=4 (instead of 5)
1/2 Square Loop - K=2 (instead of 3)

New total K=31 (instead of 40) makes the difference in difficulty level compared to AP-17 (total K=42) more visible.

Those were my thoughts so far ...

If the main goal of the new FAI F3P sequences however is "to increase the number of F3P competitors", some of my modifications may be partially counterproductive.

In this case I would just modify the stall turn for The DMFV F3P-Sport sequence and adjust the K-factors. You could even go a step further and replace the torque-roll by a simple vertical roll, establish a minimum weight limit, and ban coax-drive systems for the entry level sequences.

Your comments are much appreciated!

So far, the details for the 15th. German Indoor Arobatics Championship are still in a draft status.

Best regards,

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by HansL
Belgium
Joined May 2012
102 Posts
Nice balance between entry and expert level. It allows F3P-C pilots to step up to the national classic without being too much of a hassle.

I woud not restrict the minimal weight, nor prohibit the use of mylar covered models or coax driven models in the national class though.

I think it is a good idea to limit the min. weight and forbid the use coax in the entry level class (F3P-C). This allows novice pilots to compete with 'equal' commercially available weapons. After a couple of seasons in novice level pilots will want to fly more sophisticated and more expensive models. In most cases they will step up the national class at the same time.
HansL is offline Find More Posts by HansL
Old Aug 25, 2015, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by Glavak
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Hi together,

first trainings of new indoor program F3P AP-17 in a hall of 6-7m height.

F3P carbon model Novus
2S coaxial-system SG CRE 02 V9 + 13" props
120 mAh GensAce battery
span 850mm
lenght 1050

Sergej Glavak Training F3P AP-17 (4 min 0 sec)

Regards

Sergej Glavak
Glavak is offline Find More Posts by Glavak
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by Hongyu
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Soft control, very good-looking!
Hongyu is offline Find More Posts by Hongyu
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glavak View Post
Hi together,

first trainings of new indoor program F3P AP-17 in a hall of 6-7m height.

F3P carbon model Novus
2S coaxial-system SG CRE 02 V9 + 13" props
120 mAh GensAce battery
span 850mm
lenght 1050
Hallo Sergej,

das schaut doch schon recht gut aus. Bei der Figur M hast Du einmal nach links und einmal nach rechts gedreht. Ein Modell mit Koaxial Antrieb sollte nach beiden Richtungen gleich gut drehen. Für alle: Die Drehrichtung ist nicht vorgegeben.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Aug 28, 2015, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by Vince Caluori
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Dec 2002
142 Posts
Sergej, I don't know what Jurgen said but i thought it looked pretty nice!
What did your model weigh?

Vince
Vince Caluori is offline Find More Posts by Vince Caluori
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by pmackenzie
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
18,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Caluori View Post
Sergej, I don't know what Jurgen said but i thought it looked pretty nice!
What did your model weigh?

Vince
Pretty much what you said, according to Google translate

Quote:
looking but already quite good . In the figure, M You once left and once turned to the right . A model with coaxial Drive should run well in both directions equal . For all : The direction of rotation is not specified.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 29, 2015, 05:42 AM
Find More Posts by Glavak
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for your kind words.

@ Vince
The weight of model is 53g ... it was my first carbon model.
There is still potential to build model lighter ;-) ... especially painting was quite heavy (3,2g).

For the frame I have used 0,5mm carbon rod, for reinforcements 0,3mm carbon rod and for chassis 1mm tube.

Regards

Sergej
Glavak is offline Find More Posts by Glavak