SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2015, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by Chris True
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
9,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete491 View Post
Are you saying you are flying with two 6S 5,000 on board?
No, one at a time
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2015, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by Bird09
Joined Jun 2015
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete491 View Post
Guys,

First of all I love this Jet. I just flew my 40th flight on my stock Stinger with no problems or damage. Landings were a challenge at first but I am getting the hang of it. What landing procedures are best? Full or half flaps? Throttle usage?

Also any maintenance recommendations? Any need to take the wing off periodically to check security of everything?

Thanks!!
I am able to land pretty consistently with the following procedure: deploy full flaps and gear, make final turn with plenty of throttle (1/3-1/2.) As soon as I'm straight and lining up the runway, bring throttle down to about 15-20% and bring her down pretty low. Just a bit before I land, I'll have throttle at about 10%. Right before I touch down, I reduce throttle to lowest setting while still being on and flare to touch down on the mains. I don't know how others do it, but it works for me. And when I give percentages, I think they are somewhat accurate as I have a large amount of ratchet on the throttle and there is exactly 20 steps from 0 to 100% throttle, so each click for me is 5%. Hope this helps.
Bird09 is offline Find More Posts by Bird09
Old Sep 02, 2015, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
2,416 Posts
Put the GPS in my upgraded one today. Got a average of 122mph with up and downwind legs.

When I throttled back to a continous 99A, and did some runs I got a average of 115mph, which is probably close to what stock gets, at least for amp draw. Now I have almost 1:1 thrust with the inrunner, but for most people the upgrade is not going to be worth it.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Sep 02, 2015, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by pete491
USA, MO, St Charles
Joined Dec 2006
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird09 View Post
I am able to land pretty consistently with the following procedure: deploy full flaps and gear, make final turn with plenty of throttle (1/3-1/2.) As soon as I'm straight and lining up the runway, bring throttle down to about 15-20% and bring her down pretty low. Just a bit before I land, I'll have throttle at about 10%. Right before I touch down, I reduce throttle to lowest setting while still being on and flare to touch down on the mains. I don't know how others do it, but it works for me. And when I give percentages, I think they are somewhat accurate as I have a large amount of ratchet on the throttle and there is exactly 20 steps from 0 to 100% throttle, so each click for me is 5%. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help!!!
pete491 is offline Find More Posts by pete491
Old Sep 02, 2015, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by alistair.howie
United Kingdom, England, Harpenden
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
Struggling to get my BEC working

I could really do with some help from you wise people, as I'm really struggling to get my Stinger to its maiden flight. I simply can't get the BEC working.

When I power my Rx from a NiMh, everything works fine, and indeed that's what I've used to set everything up control throws, etc. In this way, I've even managed to taxi the aircraft along my patio!

But when I power my Rx using the BEC, the Rx doesn't get any power. I checked the input voltage to the BEC coming off the flight battery, and that's 22.2V, which concurs with my lipo being in storage, but there's no output from the BEC. It just seems to be dead. Fair enough, I thought, I've got a duff BEC, if happens,, so I replaced it with a 10A Hobbywing one and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem and symptoms.

On both BECs, the red LED lights up when I have my NiMh pack plugged into the Rx (I didn't bother to unplug the BECs), so I think they're working ... and besides the chances of having two duff BECs has got to be very small. I'm now wondering whether I've damaged the BECs with back voltage or whatever it's called from my NiMh Rx battery.

On paper, this should all be very straightforward. 22V+ from the lipo goes into the BEC, which outputs 5V to the Rx. Voltage is going in but not coming out, so there's a problem with the BEC.

I'm using a Spektrum 9020 Rx, I've got all my plugs around the right way in the Rx, my leads are all the right polarity. Where am I going wrong? This is really doing my head in and I'm definitely in the valley of despair at the moment.

All help and advice gratefully received.
alistair.howie is offline Find More Posts by alistair.howie
Old Sep 02, 2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by bill34207
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,981 Posts
The 9020 is a nightmare to work with at best. The black (negative) lead has to be toward the outside in both the top and bottom rows. Check that first.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90 mm Super Scale F-16
Old Sep 02, 2015, 05:21 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
Yup - black to the outside on both rows. That took me an evening of trawling the forums to figure that out!!

I concur that the 9020 is a nightmare. I've had to sand down the corner of every damn servo plug to get them to fit. Even now I dread having to disconnect any of them as it takes me a good minute of fiddling to get the plugs back in again.

All other ideas gratefully received!
Old Sep 02, 2015, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by bill34207
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,981 Posts
Next step. Rx orientation. The short antenna on the lower half, the BEC should be in the bottom row 2nd slot from the left. If this still does not work, you need to check the voltage on the output side of the BEC.
You might also try rebinding it with the BEC supplying the power. After that, I'm pretty much out of ideas short of getting a AR8000. (one of the best Spektrum Rx's in my opinion)
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90 mm Super Scale F-16
Old Sep 02, 2015, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by Evan D
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
7,191 Posts
I assume you don't have a cheap volt meter?
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Sep 02, 2015, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by Heirmeistr
USA, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jun 2007
398 Posts
I have the original upgrade motor/fan for this jet, a FW 4074-1700. Anyone know the thrust it puts out on 6S? Curious minds want to know. Thanks
Heirmeistr is offline Find More Posts by Heirmeistr
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
So ... just a quick update ... I do have a volt meter, and in working the issue with a friend, we've concluded that my second Hobbywing BEC is also not working. Voltage in but nothing coming out. Having opened up the shiny metal casing, we can see that it's actually just a souped up version of stock BEC which was also not working, except that my replacement had a nice shiny metal case and user selectable output voltages. Otherwise, they are identical and have exactly the same circuit board.

So, they are both the same and both are not working. So our conclusion is that I have managed to blow two BECs by using a Rx NiMh pack when the BEC is connected. It must have been back voltage from the Rx pack which toasted the BECs. We think that there can be no other conclusion. The chances of both being duff are pretty small, but they are based on the same technical architecture and I treated them both the same i.e. with back voltage.

So ... I've ordered a third BEC and we'll see how that goes. Rest assured, I won't be using my Rx battery near the Stinger anytime soon when the BEC is plugged in!
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by xviper
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
7,999 Posts
You're using both the Hobbywing BEC and a RX power pack at the same time? Don't you disconnect the red wire from the BEC when the RX pack is plugged in?
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
2,416 Posts
In a ATTF podcast many moons ago Lucien warned about back feeding voltage into a BEC. The question was related to using two BECs in a circuit, but that battery had a lot higher voltage than the BEC.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
I was only using the Rx power pack to set the aircraft up ... control throws, test servos, etc. Because the servo plugs were so damn tight getting them into the AR9020 (I had to sand down the corners of each plug to be able to only just squeeze them in), once the BEC was plugged into the Rx I wasn't inclined to just pop the plug out of the Rx before plugging in the Rx pack.

With hindsight, I should obviously have done that, but I didn't have a flight battery attached to the aircraft (hence use of the Rx battery) and I didn't know there would be any back voltage issue with the BEC. Heck, I didn't even know the term back voltage until a couple of days ago!!

BECS and Rx's seem, to my mind, to be (almost) fool proof these days, protecting from over current, short circuit, thermal overload, voltage pass through, reverse polarity, etc. It never occurred to me to think that 6V from a Rx battery going into my Rx would work it's way out of the Rx back into the BEC in such a way as to render it worthless in the blink of an eye. No magic smoke, no smell of burning, no obvious sign of damage. Just a silent BEC refusing to work!

Oh well, you live and learn I guess.