HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:48 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
507 Posts
Discussion
Making a Silicon exhaust extender stay on

I am having no success in getting a silicon exhaust extension to stay on my four stoke exhaust. I initially just used the zip ties but no luck. I then tried using epoxy with zip ties but still no luck. Is there any type of glue that will stick to the metal and withstand the heat or will I just have to dremel a grouve into the exhaust so that a zip tie/clip will have something cling to.
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:04 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,574 Posts
You need to dremel in or file in a groove to help it out. As soon as a little oil gets on the silicon tubing, it will simply slide on off. Now then a length of black neoprene rubber tubing will stay on quite nicely. You clean the muffler tip real good to get the oil off. Then slip on the black tubing and clamp it in place using whatever method you want. Now after the black tubing has been on there a short while, it sort of, glues itself on. Normally the hot exhaust gasses on the muffler tip aren't hot enough to damage the black neoprene tubing as they pass right through quickly. Thus the stuff stays on fairly well.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:48 PM
United States, IA, Armstrong
Joined Jan 2014
399 Posts
Some of my mufflers come with a groove in them, the couple that don't I used Permatex gasket maker on them so far that has worked. ( Its the brown" form a gasket".)
Cyjonz is online now Find More Posts by Cyjonz
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:21 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,267 Posts
Yes a groove is an absolute must if using silicone and a plus if using the black neoprene tubing. To make the groove use a small 1/4 inch wide file. A flat file with a safe edge is ideal but not necessary. Draw a line around the muffler outlet about 1/8" to 3/16" from the outlet. Start the groove by using a corner of the file and file a grove around the outlet. Now turn the file so it is at about a 15 degree angle to the outlet and continue to file until you get something like the link below. You may only get one groove and that is OK. One will be enough. And don't worry about making the end tapered. It's not needed in our application. What you are making is a hose barb. It is used on many applications to help hoses stay put.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&hsimp=yhs-001

This should solve your problem. Oh, it is best to clean off any oil from the new barb and the exhaust extension before assembly. A single small zip tie is all you need to hold it all together.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Dec 17, 2014, 07:48 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,697 Posts
I drill and tap a very small hole near the end of the muffler and thread in a small screw so the head is tight against the muffler. Then push on the silicone extension past the screw head. Add a small tie wrap behind the screw head. The extension will not come off.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Dec 17, 2014, 07:54 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,120 Posts
I use JB Weld to make a little ridge. Slide the extension over the ridge and use a zip tie. Never had one come off. If you later decide not to use the extension you can just grind the JB Weld off and the muffler is back like original.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old Dec 17, 2014, 02:53 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
507 Posts
Great fixes. Thanks guys. Will probably make a groove and use some gasket glue although if I can find a screw small enough that sounds like an easy fix.
Cheers
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
I drill and tap a very small hole near the end of the muffler and thread in a small screw so the head is tight against the muffler. Then push on the silicone extension past the screw head. Add a small tie wrap behind the screw head. The extension will not come off.

Great idea.

I've been "making the groove" ... which works, but is not as neat or quick as the single screw.
bogbeagle is online now Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Today, 06:27 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,169 Posts
Hairspray helps a lot. It helps slide the tube on,and once it's dried and then heated from the exhaust. It sticks.
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Today, 09:14 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,998 Posts
Part of the problem is using a tube that is a very tight fit ... it expands to fit over the exahust pipe ... causing a residual force where it meets the pipe trying to 'back-off' and resume former diameter. Being silicon - it will basically slide off .....

Two tricks : 1) a ridge or screw or appendage that creates a resistance to the tube sliding off, b) securing the silicon pipe itself further back so that it PRESSES back onto the exhaust manifold ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife