HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Ok, just so you guys know how hard I am testing this thing. I managed to pull a complete loss of attention this afternoon and put it in hard on the nose. Result, broken weak no good stock prop, a little skuff mark on the front of the cowl, a little crack in the spinner, receiver came loose and a little bend in the landing gear. Back in the air with the gws 7x3.5 in less than 5 minutes. 7x3.5 does seem to make a noticeable difference in speed and punch when you hit the throttle. Verdict on the airframe, way way stronger than I would have given it credit for being. I honestly did not expect it to survive with so little damage. Missed one thing, it pulled my little beads of hot melt I had between wing and fuse loose also.

I do have an alibi though - some folks don't think sometimes. There was a guy flying a big 4 stroke 3d plane and having motor troubles. It had backfired 3 times and pitched the 18" prop and metal spinner half way across the field. Well he was putting it back together, so I took the opportunity to get in a flight. He finished quicker than I thought and next thing I knew he had fired it up about 15 feet directly behind me with prop pointed my way. I had already seen what happened earlier and started moving to what I hoped to be out of the path or reach of the pieces and kept looking back over my shoulder to see where he was. Should have either landed immediately or taken the Edge up real high, but did not. Too low, not paying attention, not an expert flyer and whatyaget - a crash test. I can laugh about it now though as I have an even better feeling about the Edge - way tougher than I thought and now flies even better than before.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,930 Posts
I think they could have put a bigger/softer rear tire on this thing, anyone else? It doesn't have much grip.. I gotta see if I can find something else to throw on.

Got three Gens Ace 450's in yesterday, added to the two Zippy 500's. Should have a good time tomorrow on lunch break

I gotta stop and get some props for backup. I don't like having only one!
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
I'm very excited to get my 3blade prop for mine..
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I'm very excited to get my 3blade prop for mine..
Personally I think a three balde prop won't be all that great on this plane. I think it will be too sluggish
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
I think they could have put a bigger/softer rear tire on this thing, anyone else? It doesn't have much grip.. I gotta see if I can find something else to throw on.

Got three Gens Ace 450's in yesterday, added to the two Zippy 500's. Should have a good time tomorrow on lunch break

I gotta stop and get some props for backup. I don't like having only one!
Agree on the tail wheel. It's not very good. But the main problem isn't really how much grip it gets... It's just that any slight wind over powers the tail.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Personally I think a three balde prop won't be all that great on this plane. I think it will be too sluggish
I should have one by Thursday to try out...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:22 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
So I finally got some flight time with the gws 7035dd, I do like it more than stock prop. The apc 7x4E was a bit faster though. I was pulling 140 watts static on the apc 7x4E and my motor is fine, throttle management is key with this prop.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
A second to this - never seen a three blade outperform a two blade unless the two blade was grossly over or under sized.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:36 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Any tips on pulling off the canopy and reattaching without glue? Will Velcro strips hold it on? I really want to augment Mit's head with my #16 cam...
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:52 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
Any tips on pulling off the canopy and reattaching without glue? Will Velcro strips hold it on? I really want to augment Mit's head with my #16 cam...
Velcro may work but it will look pretty bad. Just get yourself some canopy glue.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Velcro may work but it will look pretty bad. Just get yourself some canopy glue.
I don't want to keep gluing on every time I swap the cam in and out though...looking for something less permanent...magnets maybe?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:30 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Maybe a hinge tab and a piece of velcro or magnet. Put the hinge tab on the front of the cockpit, that way it will never come off during flight.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Maybe a hinge tab and a piece of velcro or magnet. Put the hinge tab on the front of the cockpit, that way it will never come off during flight.
Great idea. Let me see what I can come up with...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:40 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
I don't want to keep gluing on every time I swap the cam in and out though...looking for something less permanent...magnets maybe?
Ah... Got it! I thought you had named your pilot Cam and just needed to get in there one time!! LOL!!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Ah... Got it! I thought you had named your pilot Cam and just needed to get in there one time!! LOL!!
Nice! No, I actually named my guy "Mit" since Romney is looking for work anyhow...