SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:39 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Discussion
NEW Microaces Focke Wulf FW190 A-8/R8 'Black 8'

My new Microaces Focke Wulf FW190 A-8/R8 'Black 8' Deluxe kit arrived today.

All I can say is WOW, the quality and presentation is superb in a purpose made box that puts some larger kit manufacturers to shame. Everything is carefully packed and looking at the decal covering sheets the quality of the printing is outstanding. I make stickers printed on an vinyl inkjet printer cutter in a small business I run, but in my opinion these look like they are screen printed with detail the photos Microaces posted in another thread do not do justice to!! The Depron Aero foam sheets look like they have been die-cut rather than laser or cnc routed.
The decal sheets even have the history of the aircraft/pilot printed on them and included in the kit is a full colour picture card showing a profile image of the plane.
All the electrics are nicely packaged in their own bags and other bags contain very nice pre-bent wire push rods, undercarriage etc, crisp plastic mouldings, carbon fibre rods, prop and spinner.
The instruction manual included makes great use of 3d images covering every step of contsruction, again putting most of the big kit makers to shame and not a bit of Chinglish anywhere!!

My hat comes off to a new British company that can come out with a fantastic kit like this at their first attempt. If it flies as good as it looks then I may just have to buy the rest of them!!!

I have posted below a few un boxing photos for you to drool over

Now to clear the building board and get on with putting the "Butcher Bird" together!!

Kev
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
Awesome looking presentation!
I like the fact that you have a print of the aircraft. if only every kit had that! my walls would be covered in downed aircraft.
Let us know how the build goes together. and don't forget to post plenty of pictures!
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpaintfx View Post
My new Microaces Focke Wulf FW190
Thanks for the review, Kev. Looking forward to your build -- and to getting mine.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:33 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Well its finally ready for its maiden. Just need the weather to settle down from the floods and gales we have at the moment.

Kev
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Hello Kev,

how was your maiden ?

Please tell us about it, I'm very interested...

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Hi Rolf

The maiden flight was a few weeks ago on a disused WW2 RAF Base just outside of Plymouth. The weather here has been terrible and had to dodge the showers. The plane flew quite well, but I had a few early issues with C of G and also a sticky elevator servo, so went home to fix them.

Today was maiden no 2 but indoors, because of the weather again We fly once a month in a tennis dome 60m x 40m and invited Jon from Microaces to come along, which he did. considering that he had to drive around 2 hours to get down to Plymouth.

Jon is a really nice guy and offered some help with my sticky elevator servo problem and my error how I routed the push rods. This is now made more clear in the instructions and Jon posted on his thread the changes.

I was very suprised how well this bird slows down indoors, no signs of wing rocking or tip stalling. It is very sensitive to too much aileron movement, but nothing a bit tweaking won't fix. With my elevator sticking problem, as in the elevator does not return to the same position everytime when centred I did test how strong the model is and the only damage was a broken prop after 5 or 6 heavy crashes. These models are very tough.

Jon let me have a fly with his FW190 and this was much better than mine, which confirmed my elevator issue, so now it is into a bit of surgery to correct the problem. Oh, I managed to break his prop too The sky was getting a bit too busy, 10 or so models in the air at the same time.

Jon brought along all of his models for everyone to see which generated a lot of interest and my hangar just grew by one.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
Hi Kev, thanks for your report.

Nice to hear about your indoor experience because I'll fly it indoors, too.

I like tuff stuff and hate scratches and dents on a lovely plane like that, mostly

caused by other pilots (especially when it's new) ...

Saw some of the videos Jon made where the FW 190 took some real hard "landings" - very promising.

I'm looking towards the build.

Rolf
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
Did any of the Microaces planes have consistently smooth landings?
jwellsy is online now Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:42 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
I flew the Fw190 with undercarriage on quite a bit and brought her in on a number of ocassions for a normal and smooth(ish) landing. Those long legs of hers need flying all the way in. Drop onto them heavy and she porpoises like a . Porpoise!
I think my main problem was having never flown properly flown indoors with another 8 - 10 aircraft airborne at the same time, I kept getting distracted and would then get to a point where I would have to abort the mission. You really need to concentrate!
The P51 I flew mainly without U/C and smooth belly landings where no trouble. I was certainly improving towards the end of the session and landings were not so much of an issue. Managed to purposely buzz the line of pilots with a low and slow pass or two to show off the graphics. Im sure they appreciated it really.
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:17 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
When I flew Jon's FW190 landings on the undercarriage were not a problem, but as Jon said you have to fly it in, the same way you have to land the E-Flite UMX Beast. Its slow speed manners are very good, way better than expected to be honest, no wing rocking and no tip stalling, just keep slight back pressure on the elevator and bring her in on throttle.

As Jon said when flying with 10 others indoors you fly with one eye on your plane and the other is scanning the sky for everyone else, an air traffic control nightmare On top of that the walls lay in hiding and leap out in front of your plane at any chance they get
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:01 PM
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
We cal it "jump walls" ..

We all know these wicked walls and trees, if you don't watch they catch your model ...

Rolf
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:17 AM
Sunnyvale, California USA
Joined Jan 2003
62 Posts
Jon,

Put the carbon fiber rod into the elevator. Is this supposed to happen?
tora is offline Find More Posts by tora
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:46 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Bendy and its gone pink?!

Hi Tora, yep thats what happens (apart from turning pink - that doesnt normally happen). But when you attach the elevator to the horizontal stab and add the stickers that should pull it all back straight. Dont forget to remove that thin strip on the leading edge. It's just the remnants of the 45 degree cut in the manufacturing process.

If you haven't watched the 'Microaces - Starting the Build' video on Youtube I suggest you have a look as it should give you a few hints and tips as to what to do.

I actually widen the slot slightly before inserting the carbon fibre brace but you dont have to.

Check out that video anyway and get back to me if you need any further assistance.

Good Luck!

Jon
deadbird is offline Find More Posts by deadbird
Last edited by deadbird; Oct 23, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:24 PM
Sunnyvale, California USA
Joined Jan 2003
62 Posts
wow, actually once you get the hang of applying the stickers, it rather seems fun to build.

I enjoy watching white depron turn into an actual airplane.
tora is offline Find More Posts by tora
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,410 Posts
I can't wait to build mine as I have a AS3X board for it.. unfortunately, I cant find any UHU-Por here.. oh well, will have to wait for the next set of fighteraces models to come out, then i'll get that and some glue
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast