HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2014, 02:41 PM
SW Montana
Joined Jun 2010
209 Posts
okay the wind has died!

but it's snowing, technically i think it's graupel'ing. oh and the temp has dropped to just under 20 i think....

should i go fly!?!?
RickBee is offline Find More Posts by RickBee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2014, 03:00 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBee View Post
okay the wind has died!

but it's snowing, technically i think it's graupel'ing. oh and the temp has dropped to just under 20 i think....

should i go fly!?!?
Is that a question that needs asked?!?!
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Nov 29, 2014, 07:02 PM
SW Montana
Joined Jun 2010
209 Posts
nearly did
snowed pretty hard

i wonder if the wifey will get mad if i cut down most of our trees
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:41 PM
SW Montana
Joined Jun 2010
209 Posts
4 flights in today, soooo cold. temp was around 12F but finally got to fly in calm conditions. Actually got to truly trim it out a bit.

Going through this thread (and lots of other umx ones) i havent seen anything about blocking off airflow for low temperature flying.

I did throw a piece of tape over the bottom rectangle vent hoping to do something in this regard. better to block of the front air inlets?

2nd pic is from sunrise temp
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:16 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,687 Posts
Cold weather flying...

Rick,

I've found that keeping the batts warm just before the flight really helps.
I always keep my batts in a LiPo sack, inside my shop or truck while I'm flying out front or at the field.
Cold weather flying is an excellent test to see just how good your batts are.
I also shorten my flight times by about a minute vs Summer flying times.

Calm winds,

Roger
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:26 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
4 flights in today, soooo cold. temp was around 12F but finally got to fly in calm conditions. Actually got to truly trim it out a bit.

Going through this thread (and lots of other umx ones) i havent seen anything about blocking off airflow for low temperature flying.

I did throw a piece of tape over the bottom rectangle vent hoping to do something in this regard. better to block of the front air inlets?

2nd pic is from sunrise temp
that's cold man
I usually put my flight packs in my pockets to help keep them warm before flight
never tried the tape trick
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Dec 01, 2014, 12:47 AM
SW Montana
Joined Jun 2010
209 Posts
right on guys. i get to fly out in front of my house and with these temps its just one batt at a time, but yeah i'm down with the pocket trick otherwise.

RC , the batts are great!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 01:42 PM
SW Montana
Joined Jun 2010
209 Posts
loving this plane, just got in 6 nice flights with the last couple being in a stuff breeze. plane just rips.
I can fly a good mix of throttle for 8.5 mins on a 240hypbabbelbat and put back ~173 mah
whatever this weather phenomena that produces warm temps here in sw MT... I'm all good with it
Old Dec 14, 2014, 03:22 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
433 Posts
Quote:
loving this plane, just got in 6 nice flights with the last couple being in a stuff breeze. plane just rips.
I can fly a good mix of throttle for 8.5 mins on a 240hypbabbelbat and put back ~173 mah
whatever this weather phenomena that produces warm temps here in sw MT... I'm all good with it
Good stuff Rick! Yeah it's unusually warm and snow-free here too but I'm making the most of it and not just with flying!
skytek is offline Find More Posts by skytek
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:08 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,472 Posts
Took my Sbach out of the closet for a flight today.... darn, had a balky aileron servo.

Tonight, I sprayed it with de-ox, thinking I might have to replace it, and nope, it straightened right out. Love that spray!

I looked over everything else, and it's ready to go. Even put a new foam spinner on it to dress it up. This plane has had so many trips to the field on it that even the BOX needed maintenance today -- the carrying strap broke in half, so I grabbed one from a box in my closet I use to store some umx spares. I then put a little strapping tape on each of the much frayed corners of the box, and now it's ready for another year of service!
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM
SW Montana
Joined Jun 2010
209 Posts
i should probably by some of that deoxit spray at some point.

still loving this plane! it still even looks 94% brand new .

finally did a little nose reinforcement by laying in some foam in those empty areas and also popped in a real piece of velcro.

hoping for some flights tomorrow before winter comes back, again.
Old Today, 10:25 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
433 Posts
Yeah the foam inserts have made a big difference to my Sbach. I have had countless hard nose in crashes and not broken it yet. I wonder if I was the first person to come up with that mod for the Sbach? I'd love to be the first at something in life haha.
skytek is offline Find More Posts by skytek