SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:30 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Discussion
51" F3A Oasis ARF - $119..any details/good.?

I just spotted this 51" F3A ARF on the Value Hobby website...does anyone have any information and experience with this plane?

http://www.valuehobby.com/51in-f3a-oasis-arf.html

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2012, 02:41 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
After looking at it, It looks a lot like my Super Taiji .40 from Airborne models. I don't know the kit quality of the Oasis, but it looks like it would be a good pattern plane and the price is quite reasonable.

On the other hand, You usually get what you pay for, So it might take some finagling to get it all together. I'll inclose a link to the Super Taiji from Airborne Models. This is a quality kit and it flies well. The only thing that I would do different If I were to build another one, Would be to put the El and Rud servo's in the rear of the plane, To help achieve the C/G as the plane comes out too nose heavy with the El and Rud servo's in the front. The Oasis already has this set-up with the El and Rud servo's in the rear.

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=3110

J
Jim Lee is online now Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
Mike,

I think that it looks a lot one of the Hyperion offerings; the Helios I believe. The Helios is a good flying plane although I believe that it suffers from a weak landing gear (easily bent aluminum); something easy to fix.

In that size range, the baby Osiris or Vanquish are probably your best choices. I have the 48" MKII Vanquish and it is a very nice flying plane and the 47" Osiris has gotten very good reviews. Although small, the Vanquish does have feel of a bigger plane. Both options are more expensive but known quantities, so I believe they are worth the money.

Good luck,

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Last edited by viva_peru; Jul 28, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,360 Posts
The quality of the new models from Value is very good -
The landing gear arrangement on these however is , like most of the very lightly built models - too rigid and will easily pull out wood if you even gently "stub your toe " when landing .
It seems wire landing gear is too old fashioned for some buyers but a well setup wire gear is lighter and much more forgiving - -we just refitted a Sukhoi and a Saber X - both very well built models - Sukhoi weighs 3.3 lbs and the Saber 4.25 lbs ready to fly. figure your kit will weigh the recommended advertised weight or a tiny bit more .
The Oasis is a stand off copy of the Osiris
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
While the Oasis is larger than a 47" Osiris, Anyone who has the Osiris wouldn't ever have any trouble telling the difference between them.

This is the fifth photo in the Oasis series, Anyone see what's wrong with the plane? If I bought one, I'd hope that they aren't all this way.

J
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Mar 2006
14 Posts
Where's the tail wheel ?
sneaky is offline Find More Posts by sneaky
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
That's right, There's no tail wheel and if you look at the rudder control horn, It's way off center also.

J
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lee View Post
That's right, There's no tail wheel and if you look at the rudder control horn, It's way off center also.

J
There is a tail wheel...and for $120 the 51" Oasis ($200 for 47" 3DHS Osiris) doesn't look too bad at all. Wish we could get a flight report.

Here's the manual: http://www.valuehobby.com/media/wysi.../F3A-Oasis.pdf

-mike-
Last edited by boiko; Jul 29, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:35 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Mike, All you need to do is buy one and then you can give us a flight report.

I'm pattern poor right now or I would buy one. I really like that size of pattern pllane. They don't break the bank to build and they fly well. I have the 62" Osiris The 47" Osiris The 52" Super Taiji The 48" Vanquish The 46" Heliios 25 and the 41" Brio 10.

J
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Mike, All you need to do is buy one and then you can give us a flight report.

I'm pattern poor right now or I would buy one. I really like that size of pattern pllane. They don't break the bank to build and they fly well. I have the 62" Osiris The 47" Osiris The 52" Super Taiji The 48" Vanquish The 46" Heliios 25 and the 41" Brio 10.

J
Jim, Yikes I see your point about being pattern poor. Now if I could only get out of my latest multi-rotor (DJI F450) obsession...

-mike-
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:57 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
After scrolling through the Assembly manual, It looks like the hardware is good, I don't think any of the hardware would have to be replaced. The only thing that I saw is the off center Rudder control horn, but that could just be because of the angle that the photo was taken. It's no big deal as you can just slot the rudder farther forward if need be.

I wish I didn't have so many pattern planes as I think that I would like to have this one. But, Hey, Just how many pattern planes are too many? and the price is right also.

J
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Well, I think that I've convinced myself that I need to buy an Oasis. Now all I have to do is figure out where I'm going to put it, As it's fairly crowded in my small workshop.

J
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
Quote:

J
I'm guessing that you could replace the control horn with one that was the correct size to line up with the hing?
paxskipper is offline Find More Posts by paxskipper
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:44 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Any flight reports yet? This one is talking to me. Like I need another plane. LOL.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:50 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,520 Posts
Wow crickets.....
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member