HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:14 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Discussion
Canadian shipping from HobbyKing?

for all the canadians that shop at hobbyking, how does the shipping take place? and are there any little loop hole?. i dont care if it takes a couple weeks to come,,,I don't want to fall into the brokage fee trap (UPS) stuck at the boarder...Exp. gets to the door and need to pay this fee that fee almost what i payed for the whole order..
tommyov is offline Find More Posts by tommyov
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:58 AM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,360 Posts
Tommy, I've placed at least a dozen or so orders with HK and have never had the slightest problem with shipping.

HK has always shipped my orders within a day or two, and I've received them in no more than a couple of weeks - usually much less than that. With my last order, I placed it on a Wednesday evening and it was at my door the following Tuesday morning. Amazing - that's less time than it takes to get something from Ontario or California (I'm in Alberta).

I have never had to pay any kind of handling fees, brokerage, etc. Not even GST! I don't know how that happens and I'm not asking.

I've always chosen their EMS shipping option so I don't know how any of the others would work.

I've had nothing but excellent service from HK on everything and thery are my first choice for model supplies. Others may have had different experiences of course.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:57 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
thank alot for that just. thought i might get hit with more fees then the stuff i buy.. just wanted to see other Canadians think or how they ship?..
tommyov is offline Find More Posts by tommyov
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Not to be an alarmist, but all these goods coming into the country (Canada) from abroad are subject to GST. In many cases RCA may not have the staff to check each and every mail package. Sometimes the shipment gets caught, other times it passes right through to your mail box. This includes items that you may have purchase on EBay, such as model stuff. Nothing is free….you are expected to pay the GST
In many cases, shipments pass through at the discretion of the inspectors. Thank them for either being in a good mood, or having a heart for the hobbyist.
Some items like model paint, cyano, expoxy, LiPo batteries, and model fuel are considered hazardous and cannot be shipped. Ie Tower Hobbies will not ship them to Canada. I tried to order model diesel fuel and no supplier will ship to Canada…for any price!
Lastly, there is an old saying…let sleeping dogs lie!
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:55 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
FWIW, HK do give the option of indicating a %age package value on the delivery label. Which may save a little if the sleeping dog should awake
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
I use usps out of hong kong with no issues. Perhaps a little slower than ems but also substantially cheaper. Reside on the east coast of Canada.

Lithium polymer batteries are usually shipped from Singapore. They transit to europe and back here so will be slower.Learn to plan your orders. I have had zero real issues so far overall.

At some point I expect this good setup overall to be history so use it now. It has enabled many to remain or participate in the hobby that otherwise could either not afford it of would spend the required dollars.

The domestic prices have been held back from going totally out of control by the competition. Or that is my opinion anyways. Always remember that by national policy the chinese dollar is currently develuated to encourage growth . This will not be a forever situation . suspet. As you mentioned ups and fedex are to be avoided. Especially from items arriving from the US.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:46 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
FWIW, HK do give the option of indicating a %age package value on the delivery label. Which may save a little if the sleeping dog should awake
sparks
I am posting this merely so that you do not inadvertantly fall foul of your country's Customs regulations....which I'm sure is the reason sparks posted his obviously tongue in cheek reply!

HK do indeed give the option of declaring only a % of the actual value; but they also have the option of having the package marked as a gift. I don't know about Canada, but for the UK there are different (higher) import tax / VAT threshold values for gifts.

As a warning, so that you remain inside the law and pay the taxes you are due, be sure to make sure that the declared value is set to 100%, and that the package is not marked as a gift.
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Aug 01, 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,744 Posts
As a general note, my own personal rules for purchasing from HK are:

a) Remember its super cheap. But I've found the quality to be generally better than the price would have you believe.
b) Never order anything that is showing zero stock otherwise you could wait months
c) Never order anything that you want by a certain date - if you need anything quickly, order from somewhere local. My HobbyKing deliveries have normally taken 2-3 weeks (though my record is six days).
d) If you order Lipos you will probably wait longer because they go SwissPost which takes longer (I think that Hong Kong post have severe limits on Lipo carriage)
e) When you get your gear, if it all works fine, then that should put a smile on your face.
f) Never order anything of large enough value that you would be devastated if it was damaged or didn't work. Hence I would personally not place a $400 order... <whistles>
g) Don't even think about sending anything back (following a) - f) means that any financial hit is minimal)

Works for me.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:18 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Fair points Colonel.
Especially the returns policy...
And the swiss postal system runs slower than one of the cuckoo clocks full of treacle. The HK post is loads faster, if only they did Lipo's!

It was only half tongue in cheek - works for me in the UAE, and gift, or 'for personal use' would usually be better here as they are not interested to penalise purchasers for things used for themselves. What they don't want is 'business' imports, which would attract duty. The customs usually open and check the parcels. It generally brings a smile when I explain that the bits are for model airplanes
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:07 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Lipos always go the slower Singapore route. I keep lipo orders separate from other items I order (motors,escs, etc.) just due to this fact.
I only use the international shipping.

If the package comes through HK post I usually receive it at my door in 10 days. Singapore route I expect to wait up to 3 weeks but I have been surprised with an earlier arrival.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Last edited by Tomahawk; Aug 03, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:51 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Lipos always go the slower Singapore route. I keep lipos orders separate from other items I order (motors,escs, etc.) just due to this fact....
I think that HongKong Post actually have an 'order total' mAh limit on what they will and won't handle - I have had a 360mAh 2S come by HK Post, but 2200mAh 3S come by Swiss Post.
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Aug 03, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:32 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I think that HonKong Post actually have an 'order total' mAh limit on what they will and won't handle - I have had a 360mAh 2S come by HK Post, but 2200mAh 3S come by Swiss Post.
If they do, it can't be a very high amount. I recently ordered 3 of the 1s 600 mah lipos and it went Swiss Air.

Chris
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
If they do, it can't be a very high amount. I recently ordered 3 of the 1s 600 mah lipos and it went Swiss Air.

Chris
There appears to be a 'random factor' at work here - I just checked back, and I have in the past received a 2150mAh 2S by Hong Kong Post!!

I think the lesson is that if you order Lipos, be prepared for them to come by the slower Swiss Post route - and if they don't, view it as a bonus!!!
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:44 PM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I think the lesson is that if you order Lipos, be prepared for them to come by the slower Swiss Post route - and if they don't, view it as a bonus!!!
Definitely.

Just received a parcel today from my favourite Uncle Kim in HK. It was a no lipo order. International shipping. 10 days from when I pushed the buy button.
Glad it arrived before the long weekend.

Also any buyer should be aware of the Chinese New Year and plan your orders. Everything in China grinds to a stop for a week or two, leaving you wondering what is going on.

Chris
Old Aug 06, 2014, 03:47 PM
Canada, ON, Corunna
Joined Mar 2013
11 Posts
I placed my first order through HK on June 12,2014 and the package still has not even reached Canada yet. Thats 55 days and still waiting. Whats up with that?
Dnnap is offline Find More Posts by Dnnap