HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:17 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Tried to order a whole new power system from Extreme RC but I shop online with a VISA/Debit that didn't work there, maybe not at all in Australia unfortunately (works fine for hobby king or nitroplanes). I ordered a plane jane CS fan from windrider a few minutes ago to lick my wounds. I'm going to try it with my hobby king motor (something like 2700-3000kv) and a turnigy plush 60amp. Will volt meter it and might have to reduce timing to middle to keep it under 60amps.
Don't expect much performance gain but hope the sound will be sweet. Don't really expect much life out of the set-up actually but I'll probably tear the plane down this winter and change all servos, motor/fan, and add LED afterburners.
Searching the net for good LED afterburners that will fit this jet right now to buy but coming up a bit short.
Any ideas?
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Last edited by Ispintechno; Aug 11, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Also I have been painting on some details, for those of you with the Diamond viper, here are some good pics to go off.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:17 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
Getting closer to the maiden flight. I got all the electronics installed, i have made my wire so i can run 2 2s batteries in series, i have all servos installed and programmed. I popped the canopy off and did some minor touch up paint to make it look a little better so that needs to be glued back on. All that is really left is to get the batteries (on their way), install landing gear, and add the nose cone. If no one saw my plan before, i am saving the nose cone for last so i can add weight to it in the event it is tail heavy (four servos behind main wing).
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:56 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
I think if you are using a bigger battery there should be no reason to add nose weight. I guess you will correctly determine that though when you CG'er.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:44 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Flew again with the CS fan setup at MI Jets. It flew well in 12mph winds.
will3kgt is online now Find More Posts by will3kgt
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
Getting closer to the maiden flight. I got all the electronics installed, i have made my wire so i can run 2 2s batteries in series, i have all servos installed and programmed. I popped the canopy off and did some minor touch up paint to make it look a little better so that needs to be glued back on. All that is really left is to get the batteries (on their way), install landing gear, and add the nose cone. If no one saw my plan before, i am saving the nose cone for last so i can add weight to it in the event it is tail heavy (four servos behind main wing).
I'm having issues with balancing mine in regards to weight. I want to put a 3300mah pack in but it seems really nose heavy when I do.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:32 AM
advanced n00b
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Feb 2012
993 Posts
im gonna be using 3300s also so i am just gonna have to make it work...nose heavy is better than tail heavy
xfatdannx is offline Find More Posts by xfatdannx
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfatdannx View Post
im gonna be using 3300s also so i am just gonna have to make it work...nose heavy is better than tail heavy
I use a 4000Mah SkyLipo in mine.
you'll be fine. Just make sure you have the correct CG.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will3kgt View Post
I use a 4000Mah SkyLipo in mine.
you'll be fine. Just make sure you have the correct CG.
Was it 6s?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:34 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
Was it 6s?

Regards
4s 4000 Mah.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Just ordered a bunch of LED stuff from Hobbypartz and Hobbyking today, including 20amp brushed ESC and Turnigy Nano-tech 180mah 3s battery (still pretty light).

In a couple weeks I'll be playing with some Afterburner effects for this F-18 if I bought the right stuff.
Seems Windrider shipped the CS10 fan yesterday too.
Should have a sound and visual upgrade to this plane by September.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:24 PM
Grand Blanc, MI
Joined Jan 2007
481 Posts
Nice. About to go out with mine if the rain holds off.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
I'm having issues with balancing mine in regards to weight. I want to put a 3300mah pack in but it seems really nose heavy when I do.
Move it back a Bit. I have 2 extra servos for the Rudders and fixed gear and I get a good CG with a Sky Lipo 3300 back a bit. You are doing the plane with canopy on and right side up right?
A little nose down is A OK!
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
It's currently raining here right now but I got a couple battery packs through it last night. Not so much the last two weeks but we generally get a lot of no wind situations an hour or so before sunset so I've been flying this guy a lot. In fact the fan/motor is starting to not sound so smooth anymore (stock exceed stuff, no surprise). Not sure if it's wear and tear or FOD related from belly landing (probably not I glide in power off).
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
I see an upgrade in your future if the stock one fails
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16