SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:11 PM
Taranis Tyro...
MattyB's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,075 Posts
Question
2mm balsa equivalent; 1/16 or 3/32?

Building a Crobe 2, and the plan calls for 2mm balsa for most of the fuse. I'd always thought 2mm equivalent to 1/16, but it turns out 1/16 is only 1.59mm, whilst 3/32 is 2.38mm. I'm still thinking of going for 1/16, partly because it's doubled with 1/64 ply for much of the fuse, and partly cos I ain't got no 3/32! Reckon it'll be ok?

MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Jun 20, 2010 at 06:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:19 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
steve wenban's Avatar
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,436 Posts
yeah milled sizes don't exactly tie up but basic 1.5mm= 1/16", 2.5mm =3/32" 3.0mm=1/8"
personally Mat i'd use the 2.5 mm as it gives you a bit of room for error when sand back.
But as you say its backed with ply and would be solid anyway ,I just like to have a bit of material to work with to be able to get a correct shape when sanding with out getting air thin.
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:20 PM
Registered User
yellowblue's Avatar
west yorks. UK..Home of the Hudds mafia
Joined Apr 2006
1,565 Posts
Matty, use 1/16"...Plans are meant to be changed...I even change my own plans as I'm building. Enjoy the build.
I must get down to Ivinghoe this summer...
yellowblue is offline Find More Posts by yellowblue
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:36 PM
Taranis Tyro...
MattyB's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wenban View Post
yeah milled sizes don't exactly tie up but basic 1.5mm= 1/16", 2.5mm =3/32" 3.0mm=1/8"
personally Mat i'd use the 2.5 mm as it gives you a bit of room for error when sand back.
But as you say its backed with ply and would be solid anyway ,I just like to have a bit of material to work with to be able to get a correct shape when sanding with out getting air thin.
Good points Steve, but this thing is so damn small I won't really be sanding it round; all I plan to do is take the corners off where there is 4mm triangle section. Will have to make sure I'm especially careful if I do use the 1/16 though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowblue View Post
Matty, use 1/16"...Plans are meant to be changed...I even change my own plans as I'm building. Enjoy the build.
I must get down to Ivinghoe this summer...
Thanks mate. Let me know when you're coming down, and I'll negotiate a pass (it takes some prior warning/bribery these days now junior is here...!)
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:51 PM
Registered User
yellowblue's Avatar
west yorks. UK..Home of the Hudds mafia
Joined Apr 2006
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
Good points Steve, but this thing is so damn small I won't really be sanding it round; all I plan to do is take the corners off where there is 4mm triangle section. Will have to make sure I'm especially careful if I do use the 1/16 though!


Thanks mate. Let me know when you're coming down, and I'll negotiate a pass (it takes some prior warning/bribery these days now junior is here...!)
Will do Matty, hope Junior is doing well an not keeping you awake to much
yellowblue is offline Find More Posts by yellowblue
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:24 AM
Taranis Tyro...
MattyB's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,075 Posts
An idiots update... I bought the only sheet of 3/32 in Stevenage earlier this week, only to get it home and find it was 1/8 that had been mis-labelled... Decided I couldn't be ed to wait any longer, so took half a mm off with a sanding block, cut out the fuse sides, then took off some more towards the back to save weight. I figure the front can afford to be thicker, as I'm sure a spot of nose weight will be required.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted 32" or longer basswood stock (1/4" or 3/8") mantraguy Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 2 Mar 08, 2010 11:09 PM
Question 1/32 vs 3/32 balsa fraggin The Builders Workshop 8 Mar 05, 2010 10:13 AM
Sold HC2808-1 shaft 3.2mm or 1/8" for Himax 2808 Outrunner $2 Mini Buzzard Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 1 Dec 06, 2009 05:03 PM
WTB: inline gearbox 4:1 or so with 3.2mm (1/8") pinion JoeR Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Mar 01, 2004 07:22 AM
WTB: gearbox- inline (4:1 or so) 3.2mm pinion, 4mm output, and 16/19mm screw spacing JoeR Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 10, 2003 01:26 PM