HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:59 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000w View Post
Ok Sammy70, I took your advice and installed the 3542 motor.
Really easy swap.
I'll maiden it tomorrow morning hopefully.
Cheers,
Matt.

You'll be MUCH happier with the bigger motor!

Is that a hex nut at the base of your prop adaptor? How/why did you do that?

Best of luck on the maiden flight
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:14 AM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
It is a hexnut fitted to the prop adapter that came with the turnigy 3542.
I drilled an 8mm nut with a 6mm drill, this made a tight fit on the 6mm shaft. This hex fits into the back of the spinner like the oringinal motor shaft. See the photo of the two motors together.
I had a bad maiden today, nose dived it in. I'm not to sure what happened possibly bad ailerron set up.
Not too much damage, I will post photos later.
Cheers,
Matt.
1000w is offline Find More Posts by 1000w
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:25 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pono420 View Post
sup coin..... ive been working alot of planes for friends and mine. the vid of the last crash i had was real poor. i just got a new motor board today for my 400. a mod i found that works good to beef up the nose gear is to use 1/8 plexie glass,9 one on each side) with a lot of epoxy. then sand to finish ect...

ill see if i can get the wife to go flying with me to run the cam, so you guys can see how good the flaps work. its worth the 6.00 buck for the servos.

i got like 20 vids that i still got to put on youtube, and i got my new cam.

coin, i just got a alpha jet that does about 90-100mph check it out on my youtube chanel.
Sup!! i was starting to think maybe your other hobby got you put away for awhile Nice vid by the way. I think i might buy the f117 ducted fan, it seems like it would be fun to have at least one jet in my fleet.

So i just ordered a key chain camera so maybe i can get some flight vids and fpv vids soon.

i however have been on a rebuild project lately with my 400 after a sudden fall out of the sky. i have just finished the firewall and front wheel system all out of balsa and plywood. i am hoping it will make the plane a little more sturdy and nose heavy. i also have a motor on the way and hope to use it on the 400. do you think this might work with the stock esc http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-400-...ess-motor.html
i also ordered a watt and amp meter so that i can be sure i wont burn any components up but i hope this will work with out having to buy another esc.

hey 1000w sorry about the nose in, i hope your second flight goes better and can't wait to see some pics
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:03 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinworker View Post
i also have a motor on the way and hope to use it on the 400. do you think this might work with the stock esc http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-400-...ess-motor.html

Sorry, but that motor is WAAAAY to small in my opinion for this plane. That's a little tiny 60g motor that's only rated for 10a burst. That's only like 100-120w which would be lucky to get this bird in the air I'd look for something in the 120-150g range which only helps this tail heavy plane balance easier. I highly recommend a 35-42 size motor with 900-1100kv. Something like these:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/monsterpow...ess-motor.html

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:13 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Thanks i just noticed that as well. i was in a hurry when i was ordering so i just looked at the kv thinking that was what i needed but now after a closer look at the amps and weight i agree with you... way to small. Well Sh!+. Now what should i build that might use this motor... maybe one of those foam gliders?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 05:18 AM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
hey coin.... i was going 2 order the monster power 15 950kv for my 400 with a 4cell lipo and a 2 blade prop.

i still havent finished the paint job on my 400 yet, maybe you guys can help me pick the color's. i got the trim painted blue, (no more red), and i think all the white should be something brite, maybe neon.
what do you guys think?

iam working on a mod vid for the motor board. its a cheep fix for like 10.00 bucks.
all you need is some 5min. epoxy, and some plexie glass. the plexie glass is ez to cut with a soldering iron. this mod works very well, even if you cum n hot-nose first.
i cant fig. out how to put pic on here or i would have already, dont know how 2 find the url?

i seen that guys mod where he cut out the door for the lipo, VEREY GOOD IDEA.
it makes it so much e z'er 2 get 2 the lipo, and it will fix it from being tail heavy.

p.s.
i tryed the flaperons ( with no flaps ) befor and they didnt work the way i thought they would. they didnt give me the control i like when i land.
Pono420 is offline Find More Posts by Pono420
Old Sep 26, 2010, 05:24 AM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
you sould try a 3-d foamie 2 go with that motor.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:59 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pono420 View Post
i tried the flaperons ( with no flaps ) before and they didnt work the way i thought they would. They didnt give me the control I like when i land.

Flaperons won't work when the ailerons are out towards the wing tips as this will cause the wing tips to stall first, which equals a very unstable plane. Spoilerons would be a better choice (both ailerons up instead of down) to try.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:34 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
i do fly a yak 55 foamie and love it! i wonder what kind of performance i can get out of this motor? Maybe i'll design my own concept plane.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:38 PM
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2009
73 Posts
iam working on a F-16 with a 68mm edf and full 360 thrust vectoring. i hope it works out.

n e 1 got n e tips on what color i should paint my sky 400?....
Old Oct 02, 2010, 07:58 AM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Some photos of the minimal damage caused by my nose dive.
This is a tough plane.
Cheers,
Matt.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 08:23 AM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,601 Posts
OUCH
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:58 AM
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
I've repaired the Cessna now and had three nice flights.
The COG was the biggest issue, I had to use a some lead up front at the field to right it.
I am glad to have the bigger motor installed, as this is only just enough power now.
I shot an onboard video, it was done with an 808 spy camera.
Cheers,
Matt.

RC Cessna400.wmv (1 min 48 sec)
Old Oct 13, 2010, 02:39 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
congrats on the fix. i had a few bad attempts at flight after fixing the nose gear... every time i took it for a test flight i would get in the air only to find it was tail heavy or the elevators were uneven causing awkward flight and every time i would try to land (if you could call it that) i would come in way to hard and break the nose gear again.

So i had a flash of genius and removed the nose gear and turned her into a tail dragger. and with it being much more nose heavy take offs and landings look soo much more scale. she doesn't have much control on the ground but that's a small price to pay for many successful flights since i've made the mods. i'll post some pics soon and maybe get some vids with my 808 cam as well.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:43 AM
Hungary, Europe
Joined Feb 2009
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinworker View Post
So i had a flash of genius and removed the nose gear and turned her into a tail dragger
oops, that's a substantial bit of modification, indeed
Wouldn't say it makes the plane look more scale, though...

Well, this doesn't appear to be a plane flying straight out of the box. Rather, it needs innovation in many respects.
Mine still hangs from the ceiling in the stairway, awaiting its maiden...
Pigeonflyer is online now Find More Posts by Pigeonflyer