HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2004, 10:54 PM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
NEW Park Shark

O.k. well, its Re-Designed, but that basically makes it NEW I took a lot of input from various people to make some of the changes to the plane. It retains the IPS drive, the pusher configuration to keep from breaking props (plus it let me keep those cool teeth! ). It is still Rudder/Elevator control. Still has the 3 piece oven baked wing (for strength). The dihedral is pre-cut into the panels (the dihedral angle is also increased and the wing tips a little longer). The fuselage is also thinner and more streamlined. A.U.W is 7.7 oz with a 1.8oz 2 cell Li-Poly, IPS A drive with 9x7 prop, two JR 241 servos, Castle Creations Pixie 7 speed control, and a GWS Naro 4 channel receiver.

Still uses the same gear. IPS "A" motor with 9x7 prop (for 2 cell Li-Poly) or 8x4.3 (for 3 cell Li-Poly). 2 Pico size servos (GWS Pico, HiTec HS55 JR 241 etc.) GWS 2 amp speed control (or comparable), and a 3 channel receiver. The kit comes with all parts CNC Hot wire cut, wing baked with dihedral angles pre-cut, laser cut control horns, rubber bands, bamboo skewers and full detailed illustrated instructions.

You will have to provide the motor, speed control, servos, receiver, 2 or 3 cell Li-Poly battery and a Dubro Micro Push rod Set.

The re-designed version is a Mid-Wing which is Removable! You insert the wing through the large servo/wing hole and push it up into the wing saddle. It's held in by rubber bands to bamboo skewers in the main fuselage.

Next up the IPS motor mount has been re-designed and now when you burn up an IPS drive, you can change the motor without having to cut into the foam and or solder on an extension. All you need to do is remove the wing, and you can access the motor wire right above the wing saddle. Unplug, pull off the old IPS, slide the new motor wire into the wire hole, push the new IPS onto the mounting stick and plug it back in. Very simple and easy to do.

The Teeth always looked great to me (and to just about everyone else) BUT, there were some concerns about the durability of the mouth. Had quite a few folks break off the mouth with some Terra firma contact . So, to make the mouth more durable. I have made the nose area in between the teeth out of 3 pieces of sandwiched foam. These go between the fuselage sides to make up the nose area and increase the strength substantially. The pic below shows this much better than I can describe.

One more nice modification is a nice Push Rod Slot left into the tail where it's glued to the fuselage sides. This makes it a very simple task to insert the push rods and push rod tubes.

Kits will be out first for $30.00, plans will come next and they will be $10.00

Thanks
Glenn
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
Last edited by Depdog; Jul 20, 2004 at 09:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2004, 11:15 PM
Humble Texas
Joined Jun 2004
281 Posts
WHEN???? WHEN???? My girlfriends Frog has seen better days, and I just can't bring myself to make another one. She loves the Frog, but when I showed her the Shark all she could say was "Wow I want one of those".. (too bad she was looking at you plane)
Johnnie_w2 is offline Find More Posts by Johnnie_w2
Old Jul 09, 2004, 12:07 AM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Give me a couple weeks on the NEW version. I have to get the instructions done and then cut some kits.

I will have the "old style" on sale in a day or two. I have about 8 or 9 of the old style kits left over. The deal Hippo and I had worked out is over, so I had to do a re-design and the above post is the result.

I am going to sell the old style kits for $20.00 each plus shipping.

Thanks
Glenn
Old Jul 09, 2004, 12:17 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,311 Posts
I like it. I think it looks great!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jul 09, 2004, 12:19 AM
Humble Texas
Joined Jun 2004
281 Posts
see now I have a delima, I liked the old Shark too.... decisions,, decisions.
I want a Shark to go with my Frog and Chicken. got a zoo going
Johnnie_w2 is offline Find More Posts by Johnnie_w2
Old Jul 09, 2004, 12:25 AM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Thanks Tram

Johnnie_w2 That chicken is a riot. I love it!

You got a PM.

Glenn
Old Jul 09, 2004, 03:15 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
O.k. Pictures are fixed! The RCGroups Homepage server is currently down (my site is one of many that are affected). So the pictures were not being shown because of that. I also don't get email to the foamtasticmodels email account right now. So if you have any questions or comments, please post here or PM me.

I uploaded the pic to my RCGroups gallery and linked them that way.

Thanks
Glenn
Old Jul 13, 2004, 11:53 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
151 Posts
Hi Glenn
I like the looks of your re-design. I will be looking forward to when the plans are available.
Jim
flyfishr is offline Find More Posts by flyfishr
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:34 AM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Thanks Jim, I will have it finalized this week. I have had to move the horizontal stab back to get rid of the one thing that was bugging me. It would push nose down if you were gliding with no power and then went to full throttle.

After the last changes I made, it flys awesome. Got rid of the nose over issue and tracks straight and true no matter how you blip the throttle.

Will post some pics of a "Production Park Shark" by the end of the week. Darn work keeps getting in the way of my airplanes!

Glenn
Old Jul 19, 2004, 09:23 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
O.k. made the changes I needed, cut out a new one and it flys like I want!

Here are a few pics of a Production Park Shark. This is how the kit ones will look. The removable wing sure does make it nice to transport.

Pozin!

Last but not least, here is a short video of it flying around in a 5 mph or so breeze. ParkShark at the Airport

Thanks
Glenn
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:11 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,263 Posts
Hi Glenn,
When do you think you'll have plans out on your website? I want to build several of these with my Civil Air Patrol group this fall and would like to get one built to generate some excitement. These things look great!
-Stuart
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:27 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Stuart

Thanks for the compliments. I should have the plans up at the latest by the end of August (I want to give myself plenty of time) The plans will have to have quite a bit more information in them than the kit. Some folks will be hand rolling the wings and I have to put a dihedral jig as well as some ribs to help keep the hand rolled airfoil shape. Then some more detailed instructions as to how to use the jig. Not a huge difference, but for someone that is not skilled at all with AutoCAD it takes a little more doing to get these onto the plan. I have to draw this stuff by hand and then scan it with a flat bed scanner. Then import it into AutoCAD as a raster image and get it the right size. Then I have to trace it and get it all straight and put onto the plan in the right spot.

I hope all that made sense

Thanks
Glenn
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:47 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,263 Posts
Thanks Glenn,
I understand the AutoCad. I took a class several years ago and have totally forgotten everything. I did purchase your P-38 plans and will go ahead and start it now before the Park Shark comes out. I'll be cutting templates for the P-38 along with Scotta's J-3 cub with my son. Look forward to the updated plans!

-Stuart
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Jul 20, 2004, 02:08 PM
Foam Flyer
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Stuart

Thanks a bunch for the plan purchase, any questions comments or suggestions, please let me know. I will also post here when the kits are available (hopefully early next week) and when the plans are ready.

Glenn
Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:21 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Don't fret Glenn, it gets easier as you go... I'm by no means a pro or expert, but the learning curve isn't all that bad. I would suggest TurboCad, though. It's much easier to import a bitmap, and then trace. I used AutoCad for several years, until AZ Chuck turned me on to TurboCad's simplicity.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond