motor size, esc, prop size etc
fa2 is online now Find More Posts by fa2
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
fa2
Find More Posts by fa2
fa2
Joined Jan 2010
814 Posts
oops, I see a thread just below mine - never mind - I think I need some coffee - lol
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,199 Posts
The equipment from a crashed Radian. Except for the !$&(#$#_ radio, of course*. You can put on the blades from a 10X8 folder if you want more climb for ALES, but it will climb fine with the stock equipment. I was using Radian equipment with a Gentle Lady fuselage and an unknown two meter wing until the stupid radio flaked out. I should have known by then, but I guess I was stubborn or lazy. Climb was strong with the 10X8 and it flew fine.

Obviously there are other good choices. Probably not a great idea to buy the Radian motor, servos, ESC separately. Too expensive that way.

There's also an Eflite 480 sized motor that works great with the more recent version of the Radian prop. I think the KV was about 1060. The 10x8 seemed to draw a little too much current on that motor. That's to be expected, since I think the KV of the Radian motor is around 960. Not sure what the Eflite motor cost mail order, but it was $50 or so in the hobby shop. Ouch! Keep in mind that, although the instructions say to loosen the "setscrew", they really should say loosen the TWO setscrews. I didn't notice the second setscrew, so I managed to beat up the bearings. Flew ok if oiled, at least long enough to end up in the swamp. Not an issue if you have all of the motor in front of the firewall. Or if you pay better attention than I do. (I was tired.)

*Mine are relegated to use in RC sailboats. Too many problems and crashes. Your mileage may be different.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
Old Today, 11:01 AM
fa2
Find More Posts by fa2
fa2
Joined Jan 2010
814 Posts
here's what i got

mvvs 15 series brushless motor

kv 1120

max power 350w

max amp 25a

folding spinner - aluminum

40 mm dia

4 mm shaft

8 mm yoke

folding propeller (aeronaut cam)

11 x 6

brushless esc (jeti eco 25)

max amp 30a

all from espritmodel
Old Today, 11:02 AM
fa2
Find More Posts by fa2
fa2
Joined Jan 2010
814 Posts
Lincoln - thanks - hey, I used to race real sailboats when I was younger - I owned a Hampton - thought many times about buying an rc sailboat - do you think I'd enjoy the rc version of sailing - please comment - thanks
Old Today, 11:06 AM
fa2
Find More Posts by fa2
fa2
Joined Jan 2010
814 Posts
hampton

that's me in the red shirt as a boy learning to sail