SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Thread Tools
Old Jul 17, 2015, 01:58 PM
RaidersRoll is online now
Find More Posts by RaidersRoll
Registered User
Joined Jul 2015
15 Posts
Help!
ECS not working! wierd beeping

I bought a new power system for the FT Viggen I am building, and I have some major concerns about the ESC.
Here is the circuit breakdown:

Turnigy 70mm EDF unit with 630w brushless motor.
Hobbyking Orange 8ch Receiver
Turnigy 2200MAH 3s lipo
Hobbyking 60A ESC
Spektrum DX6 Radio

When I connect everything up with my Tx on) the system gets power (the Rx LED is on) and does two beeps, but never does the 3-quick, ascending beeps to signal that everything is working. If I plug a servo into the receiver it functions properly, but the motor does not respond to any stick movements. ESC/Motor is in channel 1.

To make things even more curious, when I go into programming mode (plug-in the battery while the throttle stick is all the way open) I get all the programing tones and beeps listed in the ESC manual, but the motor still will not spin or initialize!

Any suggestions? I know the receiver works, and I know the EDF unit and motor works as well (I tried it with a different ESC a 30A) . I have not been able to get the 60A ESC to work with any components.

What did I do wrong?
RaidersRoll is online now Find More Posts by RaidersRoll
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2015, 02:16 PM
eflightray is offline
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
eflightray's Avatar
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
15,191 Posts
Have you tried to do the, 'set throttle range' ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2015, 05:15 PM
RaidersRoll is online now
Find More Posts by RaidersRoll
Registered User
Joined Jul 2015
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Have you tried to do the, 'set throttle range' ?
I don think so... how is that done?
RaidersRoll is online now Find More Posts by RaidersRoll
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2015, 05:26 PM
Diesel6401 is online now
Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidersRoll View Post
I don think so... how is that done?
Def could be throttle endpoints. Also check throttle trim on your radio and make sure the trim is 0.

Normally to set the endpoints the common procedure is to:
1) set throttle to full
2) connect power to esc
3) listen for a beeps
4) after pause in beeps lower throttle, listen to confirmation beeps
* not 100% on all esc's, but the procedure for the majority of them.

Try to find the manual on your esc and find throttle calibration.

If throttle calbration doesn't work, play with the throttle trims.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2015, 05:43 PM
ernie b is offline
Find More Posts by ernie b
3RN13
ernie b's Avatar
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
play with the throttle trims.
Reduce the throttle trims so the ESC can arm.
ernie b is offline Find More Posts by ernie b
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:42 PM
RaidersRoll is online now
Find More Posts by RaidersRoll
Registered User
Joined Jul 2015
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie b View Post
Reduce the throttle trims so the ESC can arm.
The trims are at neutral, and always have been - any more thoughts?
RaidersRoll is online now Find More Posts by RaidersRoll
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:47 PM
ernie b is offline
Find More Posts by ernie b
3RN13
ernie b's Avatar
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
618 Posts
Some ESCs need a throttle trim to be negative before they will arm.

Ernie
ernie b is offline Find More Posts by ernie b
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2015, 09:20 PM
propwash17 is online now
Find More Posts by propwash17
Registered User
propwash17's Avatar
United States, NJ, Bergenfield
Joined Jun 2004
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidersRoll View Post
I bought a new power system for the FT Viggen I am building, and I have some major concerns about the ESC.
Here is the circuit breakdown:

Turnigy 70mm EDF unit with 630w brushless motor.
Hobbyking Orange 8ch Receiver
Turnigy 2200MAH 3s lipo
Hobbyking 60A ESC
Spektrum DX6 Radio

When I connect everything up with my Tx on) the system gets power (the Rx LED is on) and does two beeps, but never does the 3-quick, ascending beeps to signal that everything is working. If I plug a servo into the receiver it functions properly, but the motor does not respond to any stick movements. ESC/Motor is in channel 1.

To make things even more curious, when I go into programming mode (plug-in the battery while the throttle stick is all the way open) I get all the programing tones and beeps listed in the ESC manual, but the motor still will not spin or initialize!

Any suggestions? I know the receiver works, and I know the EDF unit and motor works as well (I tried it with a different ESC a 30A) . I have not been able to get the 60A ESC to work with any components.

What did I do wrong?
Hi, all the above info is correct and should get you going, make sure, like stated above, you move the throttle trim all the way down. If that doesn't work, all you can do is try another esc and see if yours is DOA. Please come back and let us know what solves your problem.
Cheers, Ron
propwash17 is online now Find More Posts by propwash17
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:23 AM
RaidersRoll is online now
Find More Posts by RaidersRoll
Registered User
Joined Jul 2015
15 Posts
Fixed! Throttle Trim! But then......

Quote:
Originally Posted by propwash17 View Post
Hi, all the above info is correct and should get you going, make sure, like stated above, you move the throttle trim all the way down. If that doesn't work, all you can do is try another esc and see if yours is DOA. Please come back and let us know what solves your problem.
Cheers, Ron
Thanks everybody - problem was solved by lowering the throttle trim all the way down.

My Motor span up properly! Bu then...

My fan exploded. Seriously. at about 60% throttle, there was a pop and the fan blades started shooting out the back of the fuselage.... The fan Hub is intact but all the blades snapped off of it.

EDF unit and motor seem to be in good shape, but the fan is completely destroyed.

Any ideas why this would happen?!?
RaidersRoll is online now Find More Posts by RaidersRoll
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:36 PM
Glacier Girl is offline
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
Glacier Girl's Avatar
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,757 Posts
FOD (foreign object damage) ? Fan sucked something into it.
Blades rubbing housing, causing one to break, taking out the others.
Poor construction, blade broke off, again taking others with it.

Those and more.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2015, 01:45 PM
propwash17 is online now
Find More Posts by propwash17
Registered User
propwash17's Avatar
United States, NJ, Bergenfield
Joined Jun 2004
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidersRoll View Post
Thanks everybody - problem was solved by lowering the throttle trim all the way down.

My Motor span up properly! Bu then...

My fan exploded. Seriously. at about 60% throttle, there was a pop and the fan blades started shooting out the back of the fuselage.... The fan Hub is intact but all the blades snapped off of it.

EDF unit and motor seem to be in good shape, but the fan is completely destroyed.

Any ideas why this would happen?!?
Glad you got the ESC sorted out, sorry to hear about your EDF problem. R
propwash17 is online now Find More Posts by propwash17
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2015, 01:53 PM
ernie b is offline
Find More Posts by ernie b
3RN13
ernie b's Avatar
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidersRoll View Post
Thanks everybody - problem was solved by lowering the throttle trim all the way down.

My Motor span up properly! Bu then...

My fan exploded. Seriously. at about 60% throttle, there was a pop and the fan blades started shooting out the back of the fuselage.... The fan Hub is intact but all the blades snapped off of it.

EDF unit and motor seem to be in good shape, but the fan is completely destroyed.

Any ideas why this would happen?!?
Good news that the ESC and motor are ok.... sorry about the fan unit.

Ernie
ernie b is offline Find More Posts by ernie b
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2015, 05:05 PM
ernie b is offline
Find More Posts by ernie b
3RN13
ernie b's Avatar
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
618 Posts
I would go with a manufacturer that has a good track record with their product, I hear that E-Flite is pretty good right out of the box with their fan units but I am no expert on EDF fan units.

Ernie
ernie b is offline Find More Posts by ernie b
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2015, 05:17 PM
Oregon Craig is offline
Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
AMA 636518
Oregon Craig's Avatar
United States, OR, Sandy
Joined Jul 2004
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidersRoll View Post
Thanks everybody - problem was solved by lowering the throttle trim all the way down.

My Motor span up properly! Bu then...

My fan exploded. Seriously. at about 60% throttle, there was a pop and the fan blades started shooting out the back of the fuselage.... The fan Hub is intact but all the blades snapped off of it.

EDF unit and motor seem to be in good shape, but the fan is completely destroyed.

Any ideas why this would happen?!?
Nope.
Oregon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Oregon Craig
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question eRC 45amp ESC not working... (no beeps) pizatio Power Systems 2 Nov 28, 2013 11:39 AM
Discussion ESC does not emit any beeps anymore, but works. tlh101 Power Systems 1 May 02, 2012 10:12 PM
Help! HELP! Twin TORNADO ESCs beeping and not working! Si Goodchild Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 11 Jun 01, 2011 01:30 PM
Discussion Hobbyking SS esc 25-30 beeping and not working moocowfish Power Systems 4 Oct 30, 2010 11:36 PM
Help! Motor Not working, weird beep tone TuanT Power Systems 6 Sep 19, 2009 08:40 PM