Old May 22, 2015, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by Edubarca
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,495 Posts
Help!
Lockheed U-2 for ducted fan

Hello all, I want to contact anyone who has built and flown the Lockheed U2 based on the design by the late Jack Lynn Bale. I'm starting this model and would like to share information, ideas etc. Thanks for your help.

EDUARDO
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2015, 12:32 AM
Find More Posts by djacob7
Knife cuts foam like its steel
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,988 Posts
Do a search like this:
Lockheed U2 site:rcgroups.com
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old May 24, 2015, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,999 Posts
djacob7, your help is worthless--

lockheed U2R http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=U+2

U-2C Spyplane build
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=U+2
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 24, 2015, 03:27 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,988 Posts
Ouch! Why do you say that, Cooler?
Old May 24, 2015, 08:59 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7 View Post
Ouch! Why do you say that, Cooler?
I also don't understand his comment. Your help is valuable and useful. I'm vectorizing the parts for cutting my model. In the meantime, I'm working on the ducted fan I will use.
Old May 24, 2015, 07:24 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacob7 View Post
Do a search like this:
Lockheed U2 site:rcgroups.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Why you ask?? Anyone can do a search --although recently ----I'm thinking not--At lest I posted a few links to get him started.. And it only took a few seconds to find-- people are getting lazy, and want to be spoon feed info, with out doing any research.

I don't care if you don't like my take on it--but it's a fact.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 24, 2015, 07:36 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
Why you ask?? Anyone can do a search --although recently ----I'm thinking not--At lest I posted a few links to get him started.. And it only took a few seconds to find-- people are getting lazy, and want to be spoon feed info, with out doing any research.

I don't care if you don't like my take on it--but it's a fact.
I have done quite some searching but unfortunately, I have found no one who has built or is building the U2 from Bale plans. These plans are incomplete, lack information and could be better organized.

With Google and technology, searching is easy and exciting but sometimes, fruitless. That's why I write on the forums.
Old May 24, 2015, 08:46 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,988 Posts
OK Cooler. Now I understand. I'll do better next time. Thanks.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by invertmast
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
I have done quite some searching but unfortunately, I have found no one who has built or is building the U2 from Bale plans. These plans are incomplete, lack information and could be better organized.

With Google and technology, searching is easy and exciting but sometimes, fruitless. That's why I write on the forums.

They are plans for scratch building, not directions on building the thing. Most all scratch building plans have some vagueness in them due to everyone having their own preference on how to do things. Especially older plans as the designers and prospective builders had a larger knowledge base on how and what they were trying to accomplish should be/look like.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old May 25, 2015, 11:28 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
They are plans for scratch building, not directions on building the thing. Most all scratch building plans have some vagueness in them due to everyone having their own preference on how to do things. Especially older plans as the designers and prospective builders had a larger knowledge base on how and what they were trying to accomplish should be/look like.
I have built from plans ONLY for the last 50 years, Almost all plans published in model magazines such as APS or RCM are clear enough to be built without any step by step instructions. Even plans not published in magazines like those that Lou Peretti sold several years ago are clear enough to be interpreted by any modeller. This Bale U2 plan, although good, lacks a lot of information that should be included in the plan, for instance, wood thickness, elemental construction sequence etc., especially since the U-2 is a sophisticated model for ducted fan, not a Kadet or Falcon.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by Hepdog
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,888 Posts
In the most respectful manner possible.......

As a RC U2 pilot and U2 scratch-builder I find the reliance on someone else s "plans" a bit much. Give me the general planform, the CofG and a few details and I will figure out the rest.

Folks we need to stop relying so heavily on others ideas. If it looks right, weighs about right and is set up close to right, it will probably fly right. The biggest issue isn't the thickness of piece A or B it's the CofG. Second to that are control throws - BUT modern radios have EXPO and its there for a purpose - use it!

Lastly - in all honesty what is the worst thing that could happends
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old May 25, 2015, 10:52 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,988 Posts
Some people just don't want to learn to scratchbuild, and that's fine - they just want to save a buck and fly, fly, fly.
I'm the opposite: I like to scratchbuild, build, build, build and, more often than not, I'm too lazy to go to the park and fly.
I spent mucho (in the thousands) bucks on parts alone. I have a stockroom!
My planes fill the garage ceiling and the garage DOOR! Plus planes in the living and TV rooms.
Gonna have to see a shrink about that soon.
Old May 26, 2015, 08:35 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,495 Posts
I have always said that aeromodelling is 90% building, 10% flying. ARFs are just expensive toys for people who don't have any desire to give themselves some personal satisfaction with the phrase "I made that, and it flies!!. Also everything else one learns building and flying model airplanes. No wonder aeromodelling is a school subject in several educational institutions. And no wonder the most important aircraft designers, pilots AND astronauts have all being or still are aeromodellers, not just playing around with expensive ARFS that provide not even a small fraction of the satisfaction gained with building. Case in point, my U-2 project. I got a fair plan (Jack Lynn Bale) and it needs lots of additional information and research. That is why I opened several threads not only to solve my U-2 problems but also to meet wonderful people worldwide. New and very nice friends.