New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2015, 06:08 AM
Find More Posts by badawgie
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
VAS 5.8ghz Pepperbox

So I just wanted to share my new FPV antenna. I purchased a 5.8ghz pepperbox from VAS. I'm using it in conjunction with my Lumineer monitor and an Immersion 600mw TX. I am also using Blue Beam Ultra antennas as well. In some of my previous flight with my multi rotors I have experience drops in video around the 700 to 800 meter flights but would come back. Also I have had a tough time keeping video signal when I would drop down behind trees and such to film in river and lakes. With the new addition of the pepperbox I was able to get out to around 1400 meters flying in and out of tree lines without even experiencing a video drop. I flew from the same location as I have in the past. I know most are saying that these distances are not that great and I have seen a lot of videos where people fly much farther but I also see there signal get fuzzy and such. I'm just happy that flying in low altitude behind trees and cliffs in rural areas this pepperbox is much improved than what I was used to. I intend on reaching out further but just wanted to share this info with everyone.
badawgie is offline Find More Posts by badawgie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by Mr.Aaron
Team Warpsquad
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2009
1,696 Posts
I didn't know the 5.8 PB was released.
Mr.Aaron is online now Find More Posts by Mr.Aaron
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
It hasn't been officially. But I contacted Skyblueairlines, and they were able to fulfill my order, it took about 3 weeks to get it.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by sparkyincali
United States, CA, Soquel
Joined May 2011
300 Posts
Post some link footage if you can so we can all see
sparkyincali is online now Find More Posts by sparkyincali
Old Mar 01, 2015, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,976 Posts
Those long antenna extension cables on 5.8ghz are gonna' kill your performance.
Better to mount antennas directly to the vrx and use high quality, shielded video cables back down to the monitor. This is what I don't like about monitors with the rx built in.

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Mar 01, 2015, 09:55 AM
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Yeah I figured if I was to step up the distance they will hurt me. But I paid less for the monitor than I would a Immersion VRX. To good to pass up on.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 09:56 AM
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
I guess my real question is when flying somewhat low altitudes under 100' what range should I expect with a setup like this??? any ideas.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 02:13 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badawgie View Post
I guess my real question is when flying somewhat low altitudes under 100' what range should I expect with a setup like this??? any ideas.
Too many factors at play here to give any sort of estimate on distance. You'll just have to increase your distance in small steps and see what happens
If you don't mind saying, how much did you pay for the Pepperbox?

Cheers,
Geoff
Old Mar 01, 2015, 03:05 PM
Joined May 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
too many factors at play here to give any sort of estimate on distance. You'll just have to increase your distance in small steps and see what happens:d
if you don't mind saying, how much did you pay for the pepperbox?

Cheers,
geoff
Old Mar 01, 2015, 03:08 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badawgie View Post
Thanks
Old Mar 05, 2015, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,055 Posts
That was Marc's (Mashton1138) personal antenna. I can tell by the clear acrylic cover. He's been researching how to make them with me for the last year or so. Jeremiah badgered him to trade it (I cannot remember what he traded it for). He's made many of those but is reluctant to let them out due to the amount of time it takes to build them.

We had a few units for sale at the CFL FPV meet, but the official release will not be until mid-April. These antennas take a long time to build. Even the amount of solder used on the elements is critical to performance. 0.2mm on the feed cable is the difference between passing and failing. While we have it down to a science and now have several jigs to aid in the assembly, it still takes a lot of time since everything is so precise.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That was Marc's (Mashton1138) personal antenna. I can tell by the clear acrylic cover. He's been researching how to make them with me for the last year or so. Jeremiah badgered him to trade it (I cannot remember what he traded it for). He's made many of those but is reluctant to let them out due to the amount of time it takes to build them.

We had a few units for sale at the CFL FPV meet, but the official release will not be until mid-April. These antennas take a long time to build. Even the amount of solder used on the elements is critical to performance. 0.2mm on the feed cable is the difference between passing and failing. While we have it down to a science and now have several jigs to aid in the assembly, it still takes a lot of time since everything is so precise.

-Alex
Alex I'm just getting ready to order your 1.2 Pepperbox having read such great things about them, as well as your great video on it but I wanted to ask is the build and solder as critical on the 1.2 as the 5.8...? I would suspect it is but the builds fascinate me as it is, so I just had to ask... I'm presently using CW's rhcp Skew Planers from rmrc but have wanted to convert to your Pepperbox since it's release... I'm also researching the best Diversity Rx for this combination of PPBox and CP Skew Planers...
Happy week to all...
bob
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Mar 05, 2015, 10:33 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,055 Posts
Put away your diversity with a pepperbox. It's like deer hunting with a rocket launcher. The whole point of the Pepperbox is to eliminate the need for diversity.

The 1.2GHz is a walk in the park compared to the 5.8GHz version. Sure it is time-consuming, but it is nothing compared to the 5.8GHz. I came up with some parts for the 1.2GHz version from experimenting with the 5.8GHz version which made assembly easier... but more expensive since parts aren't cheap.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2015, 12:33 AM
Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Put away your diversity with a pepperbox. It's like deer hunting with a rocket launcher. The whole point of the Pepperbox is to eliminate the need for diversity.

The 1.2GHz is a walk in the park compared to the 5.8GHz version. Sure it is time-consuming, but it is nothing compared to the 5.8GHz. I came up with some parts for the 1.2GHz version from experimenting with the 5.8GHz version which made assembly easier... but more expensive since parts aren't cheap.

-Alex
Thanks Alex for the quick response on the complexities associated with creating the 5.8 versions... Also thanks as you just saved me $150 for that diversity receiver... Somehow I thought I'd still need one of my 1.2 CP Skews at my ground station for close in around me to cover the P-box vertical nulls...
Peace...
bob
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Mar 06, 2015, 07:18 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
11,055 Posts
The papperbox doesn't have any vertical nulls. The skew wheel does. Attached is the radiation plot which you can find on my website for reference if you need it.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member