Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
Discussion
OSE One Sheet Edge 540 - onesheeter#12

Somewhere back in time one of you guys (it was emulsifier12) suggested that we need a onesheeter 3D plane. Since I don't do 3D (at least haven't successfully done any...) and just have to do full fuselages, I figured that something off a full size acrobatic might be close enough. I really like the lines of the Edge series, so picked the 540.

This is the first full MPF sheet one I've done, and I'll have to say that I like working with it even more. As you will see, the formability makes for some nice curves. I also sortof cheated, made the file, and had my friendly neighborhood laser lady cut it out for me (no difficulty keeping the lines straight!). She got the settings so that the cut is through about 80-90percent of the thickness, so it all stays in a single sheet, but snaps apart easily. (Good on ya, Yvonne!).

Specs:

Wingspan: 35"
OAL: 29"
OAW less battery: 13.4oz, with 3s 1300mah: 17.3oz.
Motor: Emax 2812 (1500kv) turning 8x6 e prop
esc 25amp Hobbyking SS25
Servos: 3 each 9gm HK
RX: HobbyKing 6ch for Turnigy 9x

CG the way I like it is at 2" aft of wing Leading Edge.

Maiden flight a couple days ago less canopy and landing gear, and she's a real point and shoot plane! I think I need to turn down the rates even more to make the takeoffs less "exciting". But once airborne seems nicely balanced, although she rolls like a drill! Loops tight. Haven't tried inverted yet, but don't think it'll be a problem. Yesterday had two flights with canopy but no gear and I am getting a better feel for her. Tomorrow if winds behave I'll try with gear, though may have to swap the wheels for skis....

Videos of her in flight in later posts..
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
Last edited by springer; Jan 22, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:50 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
OSE templates

As one might expect the prototype came out different than I had originally figured ( more reinforcements and a couple changes to panel joints). She will still fit on a single 2'x4' sheet of MPF (or fanfold, if you must...).
Last edited by springer; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: updated the template files.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by joker24458
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,588 Posts
Wait a minute, you built this out of MPF, not DT Foam?

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
Starting on the build log. Quite interesting trying to reconstruct what I did.....

I first started with the inner structure box which consists of two side panels, and double thickness top and bottom surfaces.
The skins are two pieces glued together in the flat with a 1/4x1/4 pine stick in the joint. This is then bent to the fuse cross section curves using a bendfoam mandrel (or any round stick) and some heat where it tightens up aft. The MPF took this very nicely.

The folded skin assembly is then glued to the inner structure box assembly to form the base for the fuselage.
Last edited by springer; Jan 02, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
wing construction

The wing is a pretty straightforward KFM4 design, three layers of MPF laminated together. Step panels are 50% and are identical, so either can go on top. I used Gorilla Glue to laminate, and added a 1/4x3/8 " Leading Edge spar to the middle panel then carved and sanded the top and bottom and spar to make a nice symmetrical airfoil. The wing slides into the fuselage and gets glued in place after the aileron servo mount and tubes and the elevator/rudder mounts are installed in the wing.

I now realize I didn't take very many pictures during the wing buildup, so most of these are showing the wing after it's installed in the fuse. I tape hinged the ailerons to the wing, glued the guide tubes and servo mount popsicle sticks to the wing before mounting it on the fuse. Servos and wires were attached after assembly.
Last edited by springer; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
Fuse completion

Pics of the fuselage. I made an acess hole in fuse top to install the aileron servo, and an access hole in nose bottom to enable motor to esc wire connection. Both of these are taped shut now. The main access panel is in middle of bottom, hinged at front. I added 1/2" wide strips to sides and back to give it a location to nest into. At some point I'll add magnets to retain it at back, but so far it's just a tape closure.
Last edited by springer; Jan 21, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:00 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
final pieces

The canopy was from a juice bottle heat shrunk over a wood form. and glued in place with foamtac. pilot head is pink foam carved and painted. The battery (3s1300mah) fits into the fuse through the large access panel and is snugged up into the forward pocket of the cavity. I glued a short wall to keep it in place. So far nothing more is needed to keep it there.

Landing gear is 4 layers of boat glass cloth in Polyester resin, over a wood form. they are nice and springy (no pun intended).

That's most all the pictures I took during the build. If you need clarification, just post and I'll try to explain and post a pic if I can get access to the area.
Last edited by springer; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:01 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
Joker: yeah, I figured if I am gonna sell the stuff, I should build with it too! I may shrink the plans to fit a DTF size sheet, if there's any interest.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by joker24458
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,588 Posts
Interest right here! Lol......well I really want to build one. When will plans be available?

Dont worry, no rush.............

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:15 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
The templates are "done", but I need to go back through them one more time to insure that they all fit together (to the extent I can). I also need to make a numbered jpg so it's not just a wierd puzzle all in white. Hopefully within a day or so.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by Whiskers
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,763 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Did the glass gear legs come out with the right spring and sprong?
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Joined Dec 2006
1,266 Posts
A beautiful design.

Mike....

That is a great looking aircraft with graceful lines. You have the eye of an artist. Can't wait for a video of it.

~ Dick
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:03 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
G: Gear looks to be just about right with 4 layers of glass, thanks for the idea! Haven't tried a ROG yet, as winds running 10+ and temps south of 20F - gonna need a calm morning for next flights.

Dick: thanks, the kfm4 wing seems to be a great fit for this bird so far. Was easy to make and locks into the fuse nicely. During the 3 flights I've had with her so far, seems to be well balanced as to lift/drag.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:15 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
template identification picture added to post #2