Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 03, 2008, 11:21 AM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Discussion
E-Flight Beaver Madian Flight on Floats

I just built and flew the E-flight Beaver on floats. It flew so much better then the E-Flight Piper Cub. IWith a 4s 2200 25c LiPo I was able to fly for about 7 minutes. I used full throttle on take of but I was at 60% throttle most of the flight. My first landing I came in too steep and it skipped across the water. I now use full flaps on landing and it does not skip anymore. I love the way this Beaver fly's. I believe this to be a great value for the money. I am going to put in the cockpit kit next. It also glides for a long distance as well.

I used the recommended set up with the exception of the floats. I used the CMP 33" floats that color match the Beaver. I have used the E-Flight floats on the 25 size Piper cub and I was unimpressed with them. Plus they are only 28" inches long and the CMP floats are 33" allowing the Beaver to sit higher off the water and colored matched as well. The picture of the floats in the ad are blue and yellow but they come white and red.

After using both brands of floats I think the CMP are a better fit for the Beaver and they track in the water better among other advantages. I used the E-flight float connecting set up because I had an extra pair. The CMP come with the connecting gear that with a minor modification will work fine on the Beaver and weigh less.

I did a FlyCamOne V2 nose video of the first flight of the Beaver & from the Dock, you can see the video camera taped to the top of the wing. Here is link to the video.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918612
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
Last edited by velyter; Sep 04, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2008, 12:00 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
cool vid---what did you not like about the cub on floats versus the beaver? And what didnt you like about the floats?
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Sep 03, 2008, 12:17 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
cool vid---what did you not like about the cub on floats versus the beaver? And what didnt you like about the floats?
The cub is a lot more touchy in the air with the floats on. The floats don't track as smoothly as the CPM floats. The CPM floats have a better hull design that really tracks better in turns and straight lines. Also the planes sits higher out of the water and you don't get as much water splashing up into the prop which keeps the plane dryer and does not reduce RPMs. The CPM floats won't work on the cub because they are too long. If you used the 32 vmotor versus the 25 they might work but they would not look as scale. When you give the beaver throttle it gets on step a lot faster then with the E-Flight floats.

I have had a few problems with the E-Flight floats cracking along the seam if you have a hard landing. With floats you are bound to have a couple of hard landings. At least with my skill level.

Also for the Beaver I think 28" long floats are a little too short. The Beaver is a bigger plane and heavier then the cub and using the same floats makes the Beaver sit lower in the water making it slower out of the hole and landings are tougher.
Old Sep 03, 2008, 09:31 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,028 Posts
Wow, that is some Beaver. It gets a jacuzzi just for flying. Now that is taking care of your bird.

CMP floats, ok where do you get them.

Gosh sure looks nice, I see you had a recovery vehicle ready. Now that is a nice recovery vehicle. A lot easier to use than a Mastercraft.

I like what I saw in the images.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Sep 04, 2008, 09:42 AM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
I purchased them from Nitroplanes. http://www.nitroplanes.com/floats.html

The color of the floats on their add is yellow and blue but they come in red and white.

I use a small inflatable as a recovery vehicle. The jet ski is to small for search and rescues missions.

Good luck.

Vern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead
Wow, that is some Beaver. It gets a jacuzzi just for flying. Now that is taking care of your bird.

CMP floats, ok where do you get them.

Gosh sure looks nice, I see you had a recovery vehicle ready. Now that is a nice recovery vehicle. A lot easier to use than a Mastercraft.

I like what I saw in the images.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Honor, MI.
Old Sep 04, 2008, 09:56 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
I saw my first one fly, yesterday, and was stunned at how beautiful it was on the ground and in the air.

"If only" I'd bought one before the price increase!
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Old Sep 04, 2008, 10:56 AM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus
I saw my first one fly, yesterday, and was stunned at how beautiful it was on the ground and in the air.

"If only" I'd bought one before the price increase!
I was stunned when I opened the box and noticed the quality. It also fly's like a dream.

I think it is a great value for the money.

Vern