HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2014, 06:25 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,335 Posts
Discussion
DEVO 10 problem

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with my devo 10 hoping some electronic guru here can help me out with.
I dropped my tx not 2 feet off the ground and now it just powers on with a single beep and a blank screen. None of my models are able to bind and pushing the buttons on the front panel does nothing. I've checked for all possible loose connectors and cable shorts and all seems ok.

Looking closer at the pcb, I'm thinking to myself that the only thing that might be damaged in a fall could be the TKD 8.000 crystal. Is it a probablity that this could be the problem with my tx? And if yes could someone please recommend a suitable replacement?
joeclone is online now Find More Posts by joeclone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:00 AM
Joined Jun 2013
360 Posts
i think some component loose , maybe capactor power, check and solder fixed

fall from distance 2 feet , screen lcd can be affected
John michel is online now Find More Posts by John michel
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:34 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,335 Posts
I can get into firmware update and usb mode but it does nothing after the power on beep. Even if lcd screen is broken I should still be able to bind with my models right? but it doesn't and there's no timer beeps when I leave the throttle up.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:43 AM
Joined Jun 2013
360 Posts
remove cable lcd then turn on power .
you updated firmware ,but it don't change , so problem maybe only is hardware.
post more picture Lcd
John michel is online now Find More Posts by John michel
Old Jul 09, 2014, 09:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,335 Posts
I've already tried removing lcd cable and powering up but still no change. As I mentioned, even if lcd dead I should still be able to bind with model but nothing works.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,335 Posts
I do get beeps when I push the trim buttons
Old Jul 10, 2014, 03:54 AM
Tarnowskie Góry, Poland
Joined Jun 2007
21 Posts
My old JR Tx once fell from the desk to the floor and died.
The uC crystal was damaged, I had to order a new one, custom made (unusual frequency)

Here if it' the crystal it's easy, 8 MHz xtal is a common part.
But look also for any damaged PCB traces, for example around the connectors, where the forces could break the traces.
Use magnifying glass and check with continuity tester, if possible.
MiQ27 is online now Find More Posts by MiQ27
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:51 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,758 Posts
Ok again ...

Crystal in picture is for MCU only 8mhz. I think I'm right about this..Code and/or mcu checks if crystal is connected if not use internal. Either way MCU boots up, you can get to DFU and into and load usb flashdrive.
Now you have crystal in RF module You'll not be able to replace that one but can be done. You would only need to replace module and >IF< that works you'll be able to transmit and if no other setting have changed and/or everything was correct before should work !!??
You may get lucky and get replacement screen and if you can get one do post back details your not the first and not be last so any info would be good.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:02 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,758 Posts
Now I have done this layout

https://bitbucket.org/SadSack/lcd-multi-spi-flash

Which has serial/8080 and 6800 has interface you need . I've used ciruite for serial and worked fine off the bat but Didn't get long with it running, I dropped it and it broke :-)
8080/6060 completely un-tested I don't have enough details to carry on with devo10. I will but other things more fun at the min.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:29 AM
Joined Oct 2012
111 Posts
Oled has communication I2C,SPI use little pin and available on market .
Is code trouble ? so you used this communication ?

even , it also had on market

future88 is offline Find More Posts by future88
Old Jul 10, 2014, 06:37 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,758 Posts
Thats nice OLED got a link ?

And it would get you out of a jam cheaply.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:14 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
Now you have crystal in RF module You'll not be able to replace that one but can be done. You would only need to replace module and >IF< that works you'll be able to transmit and if no other setting have changed and/or everything was correct before should work !!??
You may get lucky and get replacement screen and if you can get one do post back details your not the first and not be last so any info would be good.

Thanks for the explain, I understand what you're saying about the PCB crystal. About the module failing, I've tried powering up without the main module and try binding with the 2 add on modules with my other models and still no luck there. The components on the board looks ok and dun detect any burnt smell so I'm truly puzzled what would cause it to fail.

Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:56 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,758 Posts
Very nice pictures! My thoughts are that part is fine. Could go over it with meter and check got power where you should and so on.

Your Rf module could be dead, maybe. Can't say for sure mostly because can't read screen.
Everything could be fine but screens broken and while your changing models you might be one model out in your selection or something.

Would you be able to do same details pictures of screen ?
If i can get details about connects. I may even be able to try with my hardware and you could use this

There cheap so.
Could get costly if you buy another RF and nothing changes (because you can get them) Then you can't get LCD replacement and you end up with un-used hardware.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,335 Posts
What actual pictures you need? Front and rear of the screen and connection to pcb?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:23 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,758 Posts
Would be perfect, thanks.