Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Apr 2013
25 Posts
Discussion
Micro 3d foamy.

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum but I've been 3d flying for a couple years. I just moved to Chicago and left all my rc stuff with my father in Boston. Well, everything but my e-flight umx 15" extra. Now that I'm settled in I want to buy another micro/mini 3d plane. I really like the e-flight edge 280 and inversa 280 but I'm afraid they'd be too fast for my location (a small park and 30, x 100' empty lot). So I'm here to ask for some good 35" max 3d relatively slow flyers. The scale-er the better. I don't mind kits buy I really would like a BNF plane.

Thanks for the help guys.
Mattpina is offline Find More Posts by Mattpina
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:55 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,523 Posts
Cheack out http://www.twistedhobbys.com/ they have some great 3d foam planes in the size you are looking for.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:56 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,523 Posts
there is also http://www.fancyfoam.com/ they make some good planes to.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:14 PM
Joined Feb 2006
48 Posts
if you have a decent smooth or soft landing area, the BEAST 3d is a great little plane. It is fast, but it bleeds of speed very quick and will put around nicely with a nose-high attitude. I love mine, granted it is all carbon rodded up from learning that the foam is thin the hard way.

Give it a look
mattsimonton is offline Find More Posts by mattsimonton
Old Apr 11, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Apr 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsimonton View Post
if you have a decent smooth or soft landing area, the BEAST 3d is a great little plane. It is fast, but it bleeds of speed very quick and will put around nicely with a nose-high attitude. I love mine, granted it is all carbon rodded up from learning that the foam is thin the hard way.

Give it a look
I really like that plane but it looks like it flys Way too fast for where I can fly it. I'll put it this way, if it can't fly in my living room I probably can't use it ha.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
Cheack out http://www.twistedhobbys.com/ they have some great 3d foam planes in the size you are looking for.
+1. Simply the best!
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Apr 2013
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
+1. Simply the best!
Do you know if you can get them unpainted. I don't like the paint schemes on them and I'd rather paint it myself.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:04 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpina View Post
Do you know if you can get them unpainted. I don't like the paint schemes on them and I'd rather paint it myself.
No, twisted does not sell unpainted models.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:16 AM
El Cajon, CA
Joined May 2007
286 Posts
As already mentioned, FancyFoam has some nice planes if you have an itch to build. They come unpainted, and they have a Micro MX2 that would be perfect for transfering your Extra gear into. I have the Mini MX2 with UMX GeeBee gear in it. Can definetly fly in some very small spaces. Also, since it is EPP, it can take some hits and still fly. Way fun planes!
dynodude is online now Find More Posts by dynodude
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:19 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,719 Posts
Another option is WMParkflyers. I have planes from all three places, great service from all three.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 12, 2013, 07:33 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,495 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Beast 3D and the Twisted Hobbies models. I don't care so much for the Sbach 3D but a lot of people seem to like that one. The Gee Bee is currently my favorite UM plane it flies like a 50" balsa pattern plane, unbelievably stable, I'll bank and yank that plane 4 feet off the ground at WOT, however, it's not a 3D plane and they are very hard to find now since its been discontinued.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Apr 2013
25 Posts
No love for the e flight micro monoplanes? I don't want to disassemble my extra to build another plane but the fancyfoam 17" MX2 looks like the plane I'm going to get. Sorry to be a bother but are there any other comparable kits for the size?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:45 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,495 Posts
The Eflite mono-planes are brushed motor single cell Lipos. People outgrow them pretty fast. If you ask people here for recommendations they won't think of those unless you say you are a total beginner. Of the brushed UM's I think the best one is the Polecat, although I've never flown either of the new AS3X UM warbirds.

I just LOVE the Beast, my version 2 is no longer flyable but my Version 1 is still great, does so many things with such control for such a small little plane. One of my all time favorite planes.
Bloosee is offline Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Apr 2013
25 Posts
I haven't stepped foot on an actual rc field in maybe 7 years and when I did I only owned gas powered planes so when it comes to electric planes I guess I am a beginner of sorts. When you say people outgrow them, what do you mean? They're underpowered? They're kinda sluggish and unresponsive?

Oh, btw. I just watched a crack Pitts 12 video. That may be my new favorite small, slow plane...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 05:29 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattpina View Post

Oh, btw. I just watched a crack Pitts 12 video. That may be my new favorite small, slow plane...
I love mine, but then I'm a pretty big fan of Twisted Hobbies Crack series.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr