Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:30 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
Build Log
Experimental 40mm/35mm "part 3" PLANS added :)

had all last week off and spent most of it painting the house, and other home improvement stuff, by Thursday afternoon I had everything pretty much squared away so that left me Friday Saturday Sunday and today to build something. wasnt sure at first what to build next, just wanted to build something "different". the week before I built a 50mm X-32 and it flies great, so I thought why not do a modified version in 40mm. so Thursday I started sketching out ideas till I got one that looked kinda cool. I decided for no particular reason to go with a modified V-tail/taileron and see how it works out, has a good amount of surface area so it should be ok, if not I can cut em off and do something else. anyhow the specs are:

WS..........14"
LNTH.......22"
FAN.........AEO 40mm 8400KV ( oops typed 4800kv originally )
ESC........20 AMP RedBrick
Servos.....2 X 2g (dont know the brand..came from HobbyPartz)
Batt..........SkyLipo 800mah 2s 20c
AirFmWT..just under 2oz's (but not enough to matter, so 2oz's.. )
AUW.........somewhere between 5 3/4-6oz's
Foam........depapered $tree foamboard 5mm thick

I had this fan in a 22" profile SU-27 with an AUW of 9 1/2oz's for several months and it flew it just fine, wasnt a rocket ship but clipped along pretty good.
so this airframe is at least 3oz's liter and actually has about the same wing area..like the title says "experimental". well we'll see what happens

basically the build part is done, just need to give it a few tosses tomorrow morning and see where it likes to balance at then add the "make it go" stuff

here is a photo sequence from the plans stage to final assembly.

hope to give it a go in the next few days if possible.

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Oct 12, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:42 AM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
338 Posts
wow! that's a cool plane!

but the v tail is very low maybe you can lift it a few degrees? it makes your plane fly more stable
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
yeah thats kinda the experimental part, I went low just to see how it would be, I gave them alot of surface area so that just may make it stable enough, I'll know by tomorrow, and I can always raise them up if it doesnt do too good.

Joe
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:25 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,230 Posts
Sloperjoe

Welcome to the Micro EDF Forum! Great looking design!!!

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Apr 2012
313 Posts
looks like the f22 mixed with the f16 xl
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:57 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Ahhh,,, found you hiding in this forum!!! Good looking project you have going here! Will be interesting to see how it will fly! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
Flying Dutchman!
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
yeah thats kinda the experimental part, I went low just to see how it would be, I gave them alot of surface area so that just may make it stable enough, I'll know by tomorrow, and I can always raise them up if it doesnt do too good.

Joe
ok and the cg? that's important too ;-)

i'm always do it at 25% and put it back until it almost cant fly staight anymore about 50% than youre the one who flies...not the plane

good luck tomorrow!
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
thanks ksqm,

hi ya Walt ,

looks like the low slung V-tail is good to go as is, just came in from the back yard glide testing, and she flies very nicely, got the CG established and ready to install the "make it go stuff", very stable flyer, I think under power it should do real well.
my only problem is that school starts back up tomorrow so my favorite morning time flying field will be a no go, they frown on flying when school is in session, apparently its considered "disruptive behavior"
I have another field near by so I'll have to go there. will finish installing everything by tomorrow sometime and if all goes well do a maiden by Thursday, maybe tomorrow after noon before work... we'll see how it goes.

Joe
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:50 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
I'm honing my skills at disruptive behavior w.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,403 Posts
Nice job!
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
well...
mixed results on the maiden, the good news is its definitely a sound design as far as stability, the not so good is its just not got enough poop for sustained powered flight, I have a few ideas to try, first remove the overkill ducting you see in the photo above and redesign it to be a little less draggy and dropping a little weight in the process, kinda thinkin also about clipping three of the six blades to drop the amp draw and go with a smaller batt, but I wont go there just yet, the third option is obvious, just build another and make it liter, witch is probably the best rout.
anyhow I'll start cutting the intake off and make it a little less draggy and see how it goes

Joe
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:37 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Joe, if I may - the problem is the 4800 motor you're using. That's just not enough spin. Aim for an 8300+ and go a 3S.lipo with a minimum of 35C - higher if you can

Has the duct got a tail cone inside it behind the case, tapered down to 85%?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
hey Dave,
I a miss-typed the specs above....oops...its not a 4800kv its the 8400kv....I hate it when that happens
I was however contemplating going 3s but wasnt sure if the motor could take it, then after checking the specs found it is rated for 2-3s, so cool, that definitely will pump a little more umph into it.
did have a thrust tube, but the fan unit wasnt glued in yet so I could adjust it forward or rearward for dialing in CG, wound up moving the fan quite a bit forward to get the cg right, so a 3s will get the fan back alot closer to the exhaust, so the fan pushed a ways in there probably didnt help much.

love your videos by the way!

Joe
Last edited by sloperjoe; Sep 06, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:03 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Joe, you can cut that intake size way down, you can go all the way down to about 95% of FSA if need be, then put on your exhaust tube,85% FSA, I think you'll see a big difference in performance.. Good luck! W
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:08 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Joe- cool! 3S and a tail pipe and you should be scooting along!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged