HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
No, I haven't. It's really completely enjoyable the way it is. As I say, it's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't mind it at all. My point was only that, OOB, the 130x is more stable. But the 300x is still a very well behaved machine. I think the 130x's stability is quite exceptional compared to all other helis I've flown.
I was just curious if you had tried mellowing it out a bit. I think it would be cool to have a scale Bo 105CBS fuse for it in Red Bull colors & then set up the BeastX for more scale-like flying. You could do loops, rolls, and piro-flips with it & nobody could say that you weren't flying scale!

Regarding the 130X - I was also surprised at how big it feels. I let a friend of mine at the field try it. He flies 450 & 550-class birds, and is primarily a precision flier. He actually said "Wow!" a few times during the flight. Afterward, he said that he could hardly believe how stable & big it flew, and that it felt like flying his 450.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
I was flying my 130X yesterday when a bunch of warbird flyers decided to steal all the attention ...my attention that is. I almost let the 130X get away from me trying to watch the show.

Warbird Formation Impromptu Show (6 min 58 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
LOL, forget about the warbirds, I'd rather watch your backyard
Just kidding, yes I saw them too. I'm 30 minutes from the ocean and they flew around my area quite a few times as well. I just can't help it, but, stop, & watch them fly around. The roaring soundzz is a music to my ear. I love to fly planes as well. I fly my MUSTANG with friends flying formation and it's really fun. Down below the field is a freeway, people sees our planes fly
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
Finland, Uusimaa, Helsinki
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Erkq,

Regarding the stability of the 3000X - have you experimented with the BeastX parameters? The stability & response can be tailored to suit the pilot's preferences.

Joel
Heh the blade 3000x - now that IS scary
vmmattil is offline Find More Posts by vmmattil
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:32 PM
Finland, Uusimaa, Helsinki
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryhenderson View Post
The 130X really is amazing. Just tighten up a few points, balance the tail and she's golden.
What have you tightened up? I checked all screws and tightened the main blades a bit.
vmmattil is offline Find More Posts by vmmattil
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmmattil View Post
What have you tightened up? I checked all screws and tightened the main blades a bit.
Slop in the tail with metal weighted tail grips and metal pitch slider. Silicone o-rings on all tail/swashplate/head balls. Metal main grips because I kept breaking the balls off the plastic ones and a metal swashplate because I just plain wore out the stock one. I really only wanted the main grips for durability, but they really did make the head perform better. It grooved in fast flight like it never had before and I didn't change anything else. I didn't have the metal swashplate on it when I put the metal grips on.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmmattil View Post
Heh the blade 3000x - now that IS scary
LOL! I might need to upgrade my charger for that one!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
LOL! I might need to upgrade my charger for that one!

Joel
Speaking of that, can you imagine an electric car battery that can charge at 12C?? Let's see... 80kwhr... that could take a megawatt!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Last edited by erkq; Dec 16, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of that, can you imagine an electric car battery that can charge at 12C?? Let's see... 80kwhr... that could take a megawatt!
Yeah - you could just chuck the car's ICE, install a big outrunner, blow everyone's doors off at NEDRA events. The Tesla Model S 85kWH pack has the capacity, but the current demand @ 12c charge might get it just a wee bit hot-under-the-collar.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Yeah - you could just chuck the car's ICE, install a big outrunner, blow everyone's doors off at NEDRA events. The Tesla Model S 85kWH pack has the capacity, but the current demand @ 12c charge might get it just a wee bit hot-under-the-collar.

Joel
Have you seen the White Zombie? Not really quick, but definitely respectable... I think they're into the 11's with a Datsun 510. It's really fun to see it go up against a recent M3! The hole shot is the amazing part. It just walks away. In all honesty, the M3 is gaining toward the end, but it would have to be a mile or so for it to catch up.

OT... but it's fun stuff...
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:50 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Have you seen the White Zombie? Not really quick, but definitely respectable... I think they're into the 11's with a Datsun 510. It's really fun to see it go up against a recent M3! The hole shot is the amazing part. It just walks away. In all honesty, the M3 is gaining toward the end, but it would have to be a mile or so for it to catch up.

OT... but it's fun stuff...
Oh yeah! I love watching NEDRA racing. The hole-shots are jaw-dropping with all of that toque @ zero RPM. As the saying goes - horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races!

BTW - Larry McBride made it into the 6.90s at over 200 MPH this year with his 'Rocket' drag bike. The Rocket is the first electric vehicle to make it into the 6s and the first electric vehicle to break 200 MPH in the quarter. Now, that's haulin' some serious tail - especially on two wheels!

Back to the 130X....

I tried to get in a couple flights from the deck this morning, but I actually had an icing problem! It was one of those mornings where temp is a few degrees below freezing, the trees are frosty, and a misty fog hugs the ground. Nevertheless, I was determined to fly. A few minutes into the flight, I started to notice that it was taking more & collective maintain altitude. I also noticed that the tail was starting to hunt - as if the gain was slowly being turned down. I brought her back to the deck & landed. I assumed that the pack must have been getting too cold. To my surprise, there was a buildup of rime ice on the LE of the main & tail blades! I cleared the ice & went back up for a quick flight. Sure enough, she flew just fine.

I've experienced icing conditions with RC & full-scale planes, but this is the first time I've experienced it with a heli. I was surprised at how rapidly the performance degraded.

Has anyone on here ever experienced icing on an RC heil?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:14 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Guys... Don't waste you're time on the microheli stuff. I bought their tailshaft and the thing is like puddy. It bends if you breathe on it wrong. And that would be fine if it weren't marketed as an upgrade... But it is. So be warned. I've now ordered a few stock tail shafts.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Yes, you could easily bend it before the flight.
Just pushing it through the bearings and tail gear could bend that MH shaft.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5479

I end up buying 4 stock shafts. 3 were garbage.
ONE worked with zero vib, here...
130X No Vib (0 min 45 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Yes, you could easily bend it before the flight.
Just pushing it through the bearings and tail gear could bend that MH shaft.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5479
POS in my book. Marketing as a cheap replacement is fine but marketing it as an upgrade at 2X the stock price is highway robbery.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Jun 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
POS in my book. Marketing as a cheap replacement is fine but marketing it as an upgrade at 2X the stock price is highway robbery.
Yes, POS and BAD QC.
Remember when they released the CNC 130X tail box? it was 3mm round!
Buyers were so
Then, now they released the swash for the Nano CPX but does not fit right...

Microheli swashplate installed with anti-rotation bracket (4 min 34 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build