Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:05 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
IMHO... when someone like Paul says, "God's spirit is speaking to me", ... the prudent thing to do is become very skeptical.

With all do respect, I have no doubt people conjure things in their minds and think and believe 0they have the holy spirit. Thinking and believing don't make it so.

The human mind is an interesting thing. An example from my realm. My wife was taking chemo, she'd smile and say, your not going to believe what I'm seeing and describe the latest vision of flowers on the ceilings in 3D or whatever it happened to be this time. She'd laugh about it, it was funny to her because the visions were as real as life itself... except she new there weren't any frigging flowers on the ceiling at least in 3D.

Another, my wife woke me and started scolded me for flirting with another woman... whoa I cried, I'm not responsible for what I do in your dreams.

The human mind is capable of getting off the tracks at times and associating those off track moments as reality is nuts.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:10 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
We each make our own decisions of Faith and of who we follow, as for me, "I have decided to follow Jesus." (title of an old hymn)
I'm happy that you find value in your faith. Can you be happy that I don't?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:13 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY View Post
I'm happy that you find value in your faith. Can you be happy that I don't?
If I were, I would not believe that Jesus is Who He said He was. But I will never beat you personally over the head with it. But you know were to come if I can ever help.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:21 PM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,383 Posts
Quote:
If I were, I would not believe that Jesus is Who He said He was. But I will never beat you personally over the head with it. But you know were to come if I can ever help.
Lyle,

That to me is the real answer!

To allow someone their own path, as they want - and to be ready to help also if they want!

Good man!
Norman Adlam is offline Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Aug 26, 2010, 04:38 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Quote:
It seems to me that may be an indicator about this stress question.... I'm happy that LcJ has a faith that he finds value in but in turn, he can't be happy that I find value in not having a faith.

This insight was first made known to me about a year ago when a good friend challenged me about the stress that my lack of belief causes on him and as he put it, it must do also for your family.

Another friend has been forwarding me things to try to rekindle a faith. The last was about the discovery of skeletal remains of giants to prove the veracity of scripture. When I replied with the snopes debunk... his reply, "Man, I hate it when I do that [get caught]."
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:34 PM
texas
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
Remember that Jefferson removed or cut out a large chunk of the new testament. He also denied many basic tenets of Christianity. Much like the apostasy churches in existance today.
steelfaith1 is offline Find More Posts by steelfaith1
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:07 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfaith1 View Post
I know Christ, Jefferson didn't....that gives me the upper hand. Having Faith means believing what God wrote in the Bible. You can't please Him without Faith.

Christ's death and resurrection was hidden from the disciples...to be revealed later.
Their writings, even though written to the Jews living under the Law, were still inspired by God the Holy Spirit.

Under the old testament ecomomy, the Hebrew children received many blessings. When they obeyed He blessed them. When they whored out after false gods, He removed them from the Promised Land.....so, it was a 2 way street. The last time they were kicked off their land was due to their involvement in the death of Christ. "Let His blood be upon us and our children" was what they told Him. Hence they suffered for that move for over 2000 years.

Jewish kosher laws have no effect on the salvation of the Jews today. Abstaining from bacon never got anybody into heaven in this Age of Grace. For the past 2000 years, for Jew and Gentile alike, salvation is based on your Faith in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.
It is amazing that people will base a bigotry on a dubious text of scripture. No scholar believes the writing of Matthew was done by an eye witness of any trial of Christ so words of the crowd could not be first hand so to base a bigotry on such a text is silly beyond comprehension. Scholars are also in general agreement that there was no sermon on the mount... so Matthew takes literary license as it were.... and likely did so again in those words.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:07 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Quote:
It is amazing that people will base a bigotry on a dubious text of scripture. No scholar believes the writing of Matthew was done by an eye witness of any trial of Christ so words of the crowd could not be first hand so to base a bigotry on such a text is silly beyond comprehension. Scholars are also in general agreement that there was no sermon on the mount... so Matthew takes literary license as it were.... and likely did so again in those words.
if that is the case, then what else could be considered "literary license"?
if it's not true then how could one believe anything that is written in the Bible?
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:42 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt View Post
if it's not true then how could one believe anything that is written in the Bible?
Prezacktly!
Bob HSG is offline Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:03 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Quote:
The idea that God wrote the bible is pervasive but untrue. The bible is a collection of literary works that were voted on by a group of Catholic bishops as to whether they were deemed inspired or not. Consequently, it is up to each to discern whether a writing is inspired or not, unless one wants to simply accept the Catholic bishops opinions.

Interestingly, if each of us tried to discern inspired... then we'd be subject to self indulgence as is done by tuning the TV to our favorite news commentaries and getting our perspective reinforced.

The only books of the bible which are accepted as divine by all Jews and all varieties of Christians are the first five books of the Old Testament: the Pentateuch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:06 PM
United States, NC, Surf City
Joined Oct 2003
388 Posts
But I wonder, wonder, wonder, wonder who -- who wrote the Book Of Love?
Bob HSG is offline Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Quote:

The only books of the bible which are accepted as divine by all Jews and all varieties of Christians are the first five books of the Old Testament: the Pentateuch.
how could that be? i have read in these forums that the OT is for reference only.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG View Post
I gotta believe it was written in the mentality of living things. I've a Sheltie dog and will swear that this dog grasp the concept of love. She knows how to give it and receive it and I'm betting she doesn't know a lick about any religion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:20 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob HSG View Post
The Monotones

my lab is the same way. she sure knows how to get me to pet and scratch her.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:23 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
991 Posts
Quote:
how could that be? i have read in these forums that the OT is for reference only.
Because all the rest are disputed by some group or another.
RCG Plus Member