SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by bluemeane
Joined Apr 2007
1,223 Posts
New Product
Hot Wheels Street Hawk!

Take a look at this. Saw it at Target today.

http://www.hotwheels.com/en-us/shop/...led-flying-car

Only one video of it so far. May pick one up as they remind me of the old mini XPV (Man I wish I still had that, stupid ex ex girlfriend (the crazy one) trashed it when we broke up lol)

Hot Wheels Street Hawk (1 min 57 sec)
bluemeane is online now Find More Posts by bluemeane
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:24 AM
Find More Posts by bobly
Joined Sep 2010
4,182 Posts
Scary, scary, scary. A bunch of small kids playing with a toy with two meat cutters mounted on it without a care in the world. And not much sign of supervision either.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:36 AM
Find More Posts by RC OUTLAWZ
RC OUTLAWZ @YouTube
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined May 2014
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Scary, scary, scary. A bunch of small kids playing with a toy with two meat cutters mounted on it without a care in the world. And not much sign of supervision either.
You are joking, right? They are two tiny brushed motors.. the can is the size of a pencil eraser. You can run it up to full throttle and grab the props without even giving your finger a red mark, let alone a cut. It's a TOY... sold at TOYS R US. I can't believe I even took the time to reply to your ignorance... joking or not.
RC OUTLAWZ is offline Find More Posts by RC OUTLAWZ
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by Audioguru
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
737 Posts
It sort of flies. It stalls and crashes very well.
Audioguru is offline Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by RC OUTLAWZ
RC OUTLAWZ @YouTube
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined May 2014
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioguru View Post
It sort of flies. It stalls and crashes very well.
yeah.. the airhogs toys are the same way. They are always tail heavy. My kids add a 1/4 ounce sticky tire weight to the nose and it flys great after that... sometimes they need 1/2 ounce,
RC OUTLAWZ is offline Find More Posts by RC OUTLAWZ
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by bobly
Joined Sep 2010
4,182 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you Shwanski, but no I wasn't joking.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,190 Posts
those little props on tiny brushed motors are a far cry from a 12" prop on 40 amps worth of brushless power.... The latter of course will mess you up FAST, but to draw blood with this toy you would have to be trying, and even then it would be difficult.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Torx
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
1,705 Posts
the only problem i see is the kids flying it around those power lines.
Torx is offline Find More Posts by Torx
Old Aug 21, 2014, 03:10 AM
Find More Posts by kpilot1
Joined Aug 2014
9 Posts
It looks like a flop, especially at that price. It looks slightly similar to the Shadow Hawk, even the controller looks very similar. Did I mention it was overpriced?

Buy 7 of them, you might find one that flies OK. QC is very bad on this type of toy. Considering the poor quality control it's horrendously, outrageously over-priced.
kpilot1 is offline Find More Posts by kpilot1
Old Aug 27, 2014, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by martinoa
Joined Jan 2008
79 Posts
Street Hawk Performance/Don't Judge this Toy Until You Try it!

Hi,
I purchased one of these for my son and he loves it. The car/plane performs extremely well and is very easy to control when in the air. It is cool toy and super durable....The flight characteristics are great when compared to other toy grade RC items. I would highly recommend the Street Hawk...Just be smart about were you play with it. We live in a quite street....Plenty of room to use safely.

The video that is posted on YouTube does not do the toy justice. Mattel should consider trying to pull it down. Showing a RC item being used around power lines is never smart...And having the kid running after it in the street is just stupid!

BTW....My son is 10 and does have RC experience. He flies very well for his age.
Even though the Street Hawk is pretty basic for his skill level...he still has a blast racing it around the block!

Tony
martinoa is offline Find More Posts by martinoa
Last edited by martinoa; Aug 28, 2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: spell
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by Fokker Dr. 1
The Red Baron
Joined May 2014
68 Posts
I can't believe this is getting good reviews. I mean when you first see it on TV it looks like a cheap toy that's only turned by it's propellers, but everyone says it's great at flying. I still don't get how it's supposed to fly well with that controller, it only has a "Thrust" lever and "Turning" lever, no up and down. How does this work, does it even have control surfaces?
Fokker Dr. 1 is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Dr. 1
Old Nov 17, 2014, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,190 Posts
It doesn't need them. There was a time (before my time) where most RC planes only had thrust and rudder, and some you could only control rudder... it flew till it was out of gas, then you glided in for a landing.... It worked because you would gain altitude while going straight, and lose altitude while turning... the street hawk, and just about every other airhogs plane works on a similar principle, except you have control of the throttle. At full throttle it will climb, and lower throttle it will descend....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Nov 22, 2014, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by K4RT80Y
Joined May 2007
108 Posts
Quite a lot of us got hooked or re-entered R/C flying differential thrust Air-Hogs, so...
K4RT80Y is offline Find More Posts by K4RT80Y
Old Dec 25, 2014, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by Senior Killer
Joined Sep 2002
83 Posts
Kids got one this morning. It actually flies really well IF you know how to 1) fly with ailerons (differential thrust acts the same) 2) control elevation via throttle.

I had it doing figure 8's the first time we gave it a toss, but I'm a pretty experienced pilot. The kids struggle to keep it in the air, but it is very durable and seems like it will hold up to a fair amount of abuse.

You can find $50 planes that FLY better, but I have not seen a $50 plane that flies and can CRASH better than this one.
Senior Killer is offline Find More Posts by Senior Killer
Old Dec 27, 2014, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Vicarious
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,490 Posts
My daughter has been saying she wanted this since Thanksgiving. She loves it!
The controls are nicely sensitive. Left/Right works with or without throttle. Full throttle takeoffs get you to about 6 feet straight up - then you give half throttle to level off. (Otherwise you stall and crash right on the tough nose.)
She is learning that altitude is your friend. I get to fly it too. 'Twas a Merry RC Christmas.
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious