HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:51 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,632 Posts
Question
3D foamie discrimination ?

Many years ago at a fly in I saw my first demonstration of 3D. WOW !!! Just had to learn to do that. Bought a simulator and a 3D airplane (balsa). Well, balsa didn't survive so got a profile depron foamie. Depron foamies fly nice but still didn't survive my learning curve. Ah, EPP came out and between the sim and EPP I finally progressed into some decent 3D manuvers.

Next step is to take my foamie to the local flying field and have some fun. Once there I get remarks that it's not a real airplane and real airplanes don't do things like I was doing. Most turned their heads away when I flew. At first it sorta bothered me, but what the hay, I was having fun even if it wasn't a big scratch built warbird that took years to build and had a big gas powred fire breathing engine.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced 3D foamie discrimination.

My 2 cents,

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:17 AM
RCG Hover King
United States, LA, St Francisville
Joined Apr 2014
812 Posts
It's a sad fact of life. There are a lot of micro/foamy snobs out there, and they will make rude remarks about your small planes, just because they have the money to spend $5,000 on each plane in a hangar full of giant scale ships.
Eagle2Nitro is offline Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Hover King Title
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:47 PM
Crash tests done dirt cheap!
United States, WV, Lewisburg
Joined Feb 2014
33 Posts
Different people have different interests. Accept it and move on.

Expecting others to share your enthusiasm is an exercise in futility.

As a wise old fellow once told me, "'Each to his own' said the farmer as he kissed the cow."
Krumpel is offline Find More Posts by Krumpel
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:53 PM
RCG Hover King
Joined Apr 2014
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumpel View Post
Different people have different interests. Accept it and move on.

Expecting others to share your enthusiasm is an exercise in futility.

As a wise old fellow once told me, "'Each to his own' said the farmer as he kissed the cow."
I understand that, I just don't know why people have to put down others who don't like the same type of flying. In the end, everybody flies RC aircraft for fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:07 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro View Post
I understand that, I just don't know why people have to put down others who don't like the same type of flying. In the end, everybody flies RC aircraft for fun.
Just human nature, I have encountered this to a degree, but I feel very smug because they just don't know what they are missing out on

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:08 PM
RCG Hover King
Joined Apr 2014
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike smart View Post
just human nature, i have encountered this to a degree, but i feel very smug because they just don't know what they are missing out on :d

mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2014, 03:54 PM
Joined Jun 2014
285 Posts
Good thread this,,, what i have found is,, in a passively aggressive way, people make comments like,, 'It's easier on a Foamie',,, 'your not afraid of crashing a Foamie' and the one that really creases me up,,, 'balsa's are harder to fly'.
It's no surprise to find, when i happen to stumble on one of their videos flying a balsa, they are borderline useless
I have done countless hobbies, shooting, fishing, moto X, quad racing, hunting with dogs/ ferrets just to name a few. Now in all these hobbies if somebody was good, they were acknowledged as good and you would never find any back biting or put downs (that not to say people were jealous, jealousy is a natural human reaction).
However in this hobby, particularly with planes and gliders, not so much helicopters, cars and boats there is a petty phenomenon. Namely there is without question an unhealthy level of supremacy (discrimination). Examples of what i am taking about,, the endless attacks and trolling on Horizon/E-Flite/Hobbyking/PA by people whom believe own/fly better models. Now, this may be the case,, but why the attacks? I never seen any Honda riders feel the need to dish Kawasaki riders! Another example is,,, you can post a video of crazy good flying and it gets no views, it doesn't get any likes or appreciative comments, however if a balsa plane is posted only doing a quarter of what the Foamie was doing, it gets more hits, more likes, more comments.
To be honest, there is even discrimination between Foamie flyers, there are some extremely good flying Foamies which never get the credit they deserve, such as LightRC Rebel Z, HobbyKing Extra 330 and many others. While i can name (i bought them) several Foamies from the 'in gang factory' and was hugely disappointed. Yet the threads for these and the following is huge! It's again discrimination, but this time unfair positive discrimination if you follow me (snobbery)
As always, it's your money, you buy what you like and sod everyone else
The next time somebody at the field or on a thread/video says, 'agrhhh it's just a Foamie' just give an enormous wry smile, their comments stem from jealousy you know
Just enjoy this beautiful hobby, fly your Foamies so hard they scream for mercy
3D Flying Extra Edge Yak Sbach Best Hucking (4 min 55 sec)
Harlem is online now Find More Posts by Harlem
Old Dec 20, 2014, 08:08 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
539 Posts
Many are just RC snobs. Its that simple
It was the same with RC cars a few years back.

Many will rubbish cheaper products even though they have never used them .
When Hobbywing esc's started to get popular, many of the castle etc die-hards just rubbished them outright. History has proven just how good they are

"Balsa's are harder to fly"...only if your plane is badly designed or badly made.

1101 is online now Find More Posts by 1101
Old Dec 20, 2014, 08:48 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Unfortunately it's been this way for years. I can recall people flying thirty years ago and powered flyers would put down glider drivers. Or if you flew 1/2A get razzed because they were "toys". Of course it would go it both directions. I think a person should just fly what they want, it's all good.
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Dec 20, 2014, 09:52 PM
Swartz Creek, MI.
Joined Dec 2010
322 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

Foamies are Great to learn with and also very fun to fly.

Definitely less "pucker" factor vs an expensive bird.

I own both 3d foamies and 3d balsa. The foamies I can fly right out the back yard and the balsa birds I load up and go to the local club.

Guys in our club fly anything & everything Everyone gets along and has FUN!!!

wjb111 is offline Find More Posts by wjb111
Old Dec 21, 2014, 07:00 AM
Bring it Down!!
Gainesville, FL
Joined Aug 2005
356 Posts
I love anything that flies. They all fly different, so I enjoy them all. I just don't get some of the guys that just want everyone to fly in circles. If that's what you want to do more power to ya, but why be so negative toward someone else in the hobby? Can't we all just get along?��
FlightCrazed is online now Find More Posts by FlightCrazed
Old Dec 21, 2014, 08:25 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,562 Posts
For the "real planes don't fly like that" remarks, point them at some Rob Holland videos.

For the rest, remember that what they see is an airplane flopping around pointlessly. If you include some things they see as normal flight in addition to the 3D, like do a nice clean lap of the field with straight level lines and level circular coordinated turns, do a nice round loop here and there, and perhaps most important grease the landing like it's your job. A greased landing is something everyone at the field appreciates. Even with a foamy.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Last edited by AeroKen; Dec 21, 2014 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 21, 2014, 09:08 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,222 Posts
I have told the naysayers many times, " the real planes are at the airport." There will always be people who believe their way is the only way. I fly extreme aerobatics that would kill a pilot if there was one in the model. It should be about fun!!! I hear grown men giggle like school kids when they are flying 3D. Circle flyers do not giggle, they are too serious about their scale warbirds. Push your skill and HAVE FUN !!!
Wingin' Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Dec 21, 2014, 09:27 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,632 Posts
Some very interesting answers......thanks to all., especially Wingin 'Wayne,....loved your answer.

Having fun is the bottom line. This is my 38th year of enjoying the R/C hobby and it is a big part of my "Golden Years". The wife and I have traveled to many fly ins across the country and hope to continue. On all but a couple occasioons has my foamie fleet been welcome.

Merry Christmas,

RonJ & "The Cheese lady"
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Last edited by RonJ; Dec 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 11:08 AM
Crash tests done dirt cheap!
United States, WV, Lewisburg
Joined Feb 2014
33 Posts
I have a question for you...

Is it appropriate to accuse someone of "discrimination" just because they don't like the same things you do? If someone likes eating liver and onions and another person doesn't and says he/she thinks liver tastes and smells terrible, is that discrimination???

The "D" word is thrown around a lot in our "politically correct" society because it gets peoples attention. Just because it gets peoples attention does not mean its use is always appropriate.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Krumpel is offline Find More Posts by Krumpel