SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Hi Chris

Think you could give me a hand specking out some HK parts for Quad copter? It needs to be able to lift my GoPro comfortably. I have about 4 months or so building foamies and i'm a geek so the kk2 board should be no issue.

Motor -
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1100kv.html OR
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_700kv.html

Frame
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_680mm.html

KK2 Board

I can figure out the battery myself

The Esc I need help with. Looking for cheap yet usable.

Thanks
Nightstone
Hi Nightstone,

I'm sorry but geeks aren't allowed to post in this threads. Not allowed. Please swiftly go delete your post and never return....

No, just kidding. Sorry for the late reply, Sir.

I have used the 2822 motors on a DJI frame (330mm). They are not all that powerful so not recommended on a 600mm + frame

The motors you linked are VERY different. The 2822 have around 500 grams of thrust and the other motors (DT700) you linked have over 900 grams of thrust. They are in a different category altogether. The 2822 cannot really fly a 600MM frame. The props required are too big for these motors

Plus, since you want to use a camera, the lower KV motors with more thrust would be better (DT700). Low KV motors are better for FPV or photography as they tend to procure more stability and less oscillation or wobble. Much better for use with a camera setup.

The wooden frame is no good to use with a camera. Wood is too conductive of vibration so you probably want to look at something stiffer with more suitable material. Might be worth reconsidering your budget on the frame. Hobby King has decent frames starting at around 20 bucks but not in the 600MM ball park. They have some decent 550 frames you might want to consider.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Deleted
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Last edited by Bryan's Flyin; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
That looks pretty clean, there, Bryan. Very well done!

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, MO
Joined Apr 2009
330 Posts
Bryan's Flyin is offline Find More Posts by Bryan's Flyin
Last edited by Bryan's Flyin; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:53 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
What kind words!

Looks like you have the quad bug pretty bad, there, Bryan. You're flying better and better every time you upload a new video, too. Good fun!

Have a nice weekend, Sir.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:53 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan's Flyin View Post
Here are a few pics of my Q450 build. I used your videos to help build it and it turned out great. I appreciate the videos and help.
Thats exactly what I'm wanting to build. I love it. Dont care what it costs. I want to build it. I've read the posts in this thread so now I'm going to go back and watch the videos. Then read again. Till get it. When you start talking about firmware and PC stuff I get kinda freaked out. Not real swift with the computer thing. I had to buy a Mac cause I kept crashing PC's. I suck at it. The Mac seems to like me. At least I haven't ruined it yet. Yet. Thanks all.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Bryan, that quad copter looks great. Would it be possible to get a list of the components? I think once I build my first quad I can then take it apart put it together with different parts and just do basic testing and learning. Did you get the parts here in the US. I know it'll cost more if I dont buy from some place like HK. Don't care just want to build one. Thanks for sharing your's with us.

Tom

I am thinking of a frame of 24". X style I guess you call it.
Last edited by carr52; Oct 09, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:19 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Tom,

I know you have a lot of heli experience, but you still may want to buy and crash one of the micro quads for a while to get the hang of orientation. If not you will want to buy a lot of extra arms and props since you will end up with some amount of breakage.

If you are not a computer person just be careful what FC you get. KK is a nice, standalone, controller that works well out of the box; many others will need software on a PC ( not all have Mac software ) for setup and/or tuning. Most common ESC's are fine for multicopter use, flashing them may improve their flight characteristics, but is by no means required to get flying. That said it's something that you can learn how to do over a rainy weekend with some reading and soldering.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Thank you Brontide. I just finished watching the second video again. I'm wondering about something. When Chris plugged in the number one esc he saidthis is the one that supplies power to the FC board. Won't all the esc's have power to them from the distribution board? On a twin motor plane we disconnect the red wire from one of the esc's. That is the only question I have at the moment. I still need to watch the videos again. Thanks.

Tom
Oh yeah, where would I buy the parts if I didn't want to use HK?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Battery -> (distribution) -> ESC(x4) -> Motors(x4)
KK2 board only takes power on #1 ESC position, power and ground are common on #2-#8 ESC's
KK2 board powers the Rx

This means that you technically only need the signal wire from the KK to ESC's #2-#8 unless you need to drive a servo for a tricopter, but the common way to build is just to plug them directly in and create a common 5v and ground which should be fine unless you have switching regulators on your ESC's. Switching regulators don't like being ties together like that, linear regulators don't really care. An alternative is to use a BEC for powering the KK through #1 ESC connectors and only tie the signal to ESC #1, but that is generally not necessary.

For the most part you will want all 4 ESC's powered with signals attached to the KK2 board as it will need to "see" them and, during some steps, calibrate with all of them.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:31 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Heres my parts list so far. Orange Rx and DX6i
Motor: not sure what propto use.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...utm_source=EDM
ESC:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
Control board:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ega168PA_.html

Found this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Ship-KK-...item416ac608ac
Last edited by carr52; Oct 09, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Not specifically familiar with the parts, but the higer kv motors generally swing smaller props, so 8x4 ish would be good. The specs on the motor show a max 8A draw, so 20A ESC's would be overkill and the Turnigy Plush 10A is half the weight. Keep the flying weight under 1kg and you should be good.

How big do you want to be and what are your goals for this quad?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
I was wanting it to be able to pick up and carry a small video camera. As for size I think maybe 24". 12" arms. I just want to learn to build with this one and maybe do some video. Check and see if my gutters need cleaning out. I just found a bunch of parts at value hobby.

Tom
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,428 Posts
Carr if you are on a budget, I would suggest looking into the Turnigy 9X Transmitter. Its a 8ch Transmitter/Receiver combo that will beat almost anything on the market and its about $55 at hobbyking right now.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I was wanting it to be able to pick up and carry a small video camera. As for size I think maybe 24". 12" arms. I just want to learn to build with this one and maybe do some video. Check and see if my gutters need cleaning out. I just found a bunch of parts at value hobby.

Tom
If you want to haul a camera, the motors are too small. 31 grams motors for a 450 quad are simply too small even if you don't haul anything. Plus, I don't think the ones you linked will work at all for a quad.

I would also recommend going with F-20 HK ESCs as they are cheaper and easier to upgrade with simonk firmware if you want to go that route. However, if you do not want to flash the ESCs, I highly recommend getting some Turnigy ESCs instead as they will work better in their stock form and they don't cost more.

Motors:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ess_Motor.html

Turnigy ESCs:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._ESC_2_4S.html

Now that's a much, MUCH better setup for a 450 and it's cheaper.

9 inch (9045) props would work well with that.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor