HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,587 Posts
Tom, is the test flight going to be at our undisclosed usual location? I want to be one of the first to drool over the model. D
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,341 Posts
More than likely. You might pencil in April 15, since it definitely won't be this coming weekend and I'm out for Easter weekend.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
Californicated User
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
I did, by a few degrees. With the change, it has about 55-60 degrees flap throw. Just have to finish the fuse up and make the wiring harness.

Tom
Hi Tom,

I had no idea you had a Fosa Lift when we spoke; when you mentioned you were building a Lift I was thinking you were building a Ceres Lift.

What's the design goal of the Lift if both versions are intended for F3B? Use the Lift on lighter days?

Vic
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot View Post
Hi Tom,

I had no idea you had a Fosa Lift when we spoke; when you mentioned you were building a Lift I was thinking you were building a Ceres Lift.

What's the design goal of the Lift if both versions are intended for F3B? Use the Lift on lighter days?

Vic
Vic,
This is the other Tom (Thomas).

From what I have been told, the Fosa Lift shares the same airfoil as the Ceres Lift (still wish I never sold mine).
I believe the main design goal was for even higher launches with more weight onboard for more laps in distance, easier duration (when light) while still being super fast!
The Fosa Lift has also already proven itself with a win on the 2011 Euro-Tour .

Cheers,
Thomas
MKSservosUSA.com is offline Find More Posts by MKSservosUSA.com
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:50 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,376 Posts
Any profile pics of both airfoils. As in standard and Lift ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new toys....
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
Sydney
Joined Mar 2005
80 Posts
Just out of interest, the Ceres Lift/Fosa Lift.
The fit and finish of the new fosa lift is fantastic...
Lowey is offline Find More Posts by Lowey
Last edited by Lowey; Mar 30, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 05:11 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,376 Posts
Nice toys Lowey. How do you find the difference between those 2 in the duration task ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new toys....
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,146 Posts
What tail servos are those? Looks nice!
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:17 AM
Sydney
Joined Mar 2005
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
Nice toys Lowey. How do you find the difference between those 2 in the duration task ?
I cant talk to that question just yet Kane, still to maiden the Fosa Lift.
The Ceres Lift is the best launching and thermalling B model i have owned though so I have high expectations.
Lowey is offline Find More Posts by Lowey
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:27 PM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
How long till Sagey pulls the trigger???

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Jan 2010
185 Posts
Oh Zim you have found me out, shucks!
You know I love my Baudis models
The cyril is my fave at the mo, until the new one turns up.
Chasher and Chalster have Fosa Lifts, they beat me to it.
After-all I had the 1st Ceres Lift in the UK
ceres-syd is offline Find More Posts by ceres-syd
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:24 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
497 Posts
Thomas,
Were do you buy the Elite battery packs?
S Gibson
Hoot is offline Find More Posts by Hoot
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Feb 2011
89 Posts
G'day all,
Last weekend I was able get out and maiden my Fosa Lift
I started with Jiri's settings that Bob had sent me,

CG - 105mm
Tow hook - 125mm from end of nose cone
Flaps, aileron and elevator in Launch - 15mm for flaps together with ailerons and around 1-2mm of down elevator
Flaps. aileron and elevator in distance - all zero
Flaps, aileron and elevator in duration - plus 3, plus 3, zero
Flaps, aileron and elevator in speed - 0 to minus 1, 0 to minus 1, zero

My first launch was a little lame and thought I had way too much drown trim but upon investigation my Tow hook had slid forward. Guess I didn't tightened the Tow Hook screw enough.
Second launch was much better but know it will take me some time to find my CG and launch set-up.
Third launch, Forth launch, Fifth launch, a little less down trim each time to see her launching better every time.
Next time I get out will be with some fresh 1.2mm mono too!

After half a day of flying I am really like this plane! She is super user friendly on the sticks and is easier to see at distance over the Fosa.
Flying in calm conditions without ballast, I was extremely happy with how I could work the thermals even taking one out from around 30 feet.
I was able to fly her slower than the Fosa with 3-4mm of camber and found her to groove in the turns extremely well.
In section she seemed to accelerate very well for a non ballasted and had a really nice fast flat glide angle.
I think she is going to love being ballasted and have been told she launches very, very well with ballast.
I hope to get out this sometime this week for some more stick time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Thomas,
Were do you buy the Elite battery packs?
S Gibson
Hey Steve, got them from Soaring USA.

Cheers,
Thomas
MKSservosUSA.com is offline Find More Posts by MKSservosUSA.com
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Jun 2006
3 Posts
CoG for FOSA Lift

With a team mate we got two FOSA LIFTs a few months ago, and have been testing and tuning our new planes for the start of the 2012 European F3B season.

We also started with Jiri's default settings, but found out that the FOSA Lift does not easily maintain its speed with the indicated CoG of 105mm.

We had good results with pushing back the CoG for speed to 111 - 113mm. This can be easily done by asymetrically loading the fuselage ballast tube - putting more weight on the back side of this tube. The FOSA Lift still behaves well with this extended CoG - in fact you hardly notice it.

Curious to hear if others have the same experience.

Robert
beuningen is offline Find More Posts by beuningen
Old May 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
LSF V aspirant
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,341 Posts
Fosa Lift flies!

Finally finished out the Fosa Lift and got it in the air today. Built it exactly the same as my standard Fosa...MKS 6125 Minis all across the wing, a few degrees more bend in the RDS flap wipers, stock fuse tray arrangement with JR DS3517 servos, ballast tube arranged to take seven slugs, and an Elite 1500 four-cell NiMH pack (...the MKS servos don't like unregulated lithium packs). As before, trashed the heavy OEM wiring harness and made one of light-gauge teflon-jacketed wire, as Mike Lachowski outlined in the Fosa build thread...much less bulky. The slightly longer fuse provides just a bit more room forward of the servo tray, which helps with the gear install.

The Lift appears to be a scaled-up Fosa, with increased wing and tail span/chord, longer fuse (forward and aft of the wing), and increased ballast capacity in the wings. The only airframe parts interchangeable with the standard Fosa are the wing joiners, the fuse ballast tube and the tail cone cover. So, no plugging Lift wings or tails onto your standard fuse, or vice-versa.

In the air, it behaves (surprise!) much like the standard Fosa and thermals very well for a fast F3B ship. Got the launch setup close, but my time was limited and we were on a smaller field, so could not get 200m to the turnaround. Short lines and tows were the order of the day. Used Jiri's suggested CG of 105 mm to start and this produces inverted flight with just slight down pressure on the elevator stick to hold level, and a neutral dive test. Does not hunt in pitch and goes where you point it, until you re-direct it, so this CG is real close.

No ballasted flights today, but have tungsten ballast for it. Next time out...

Looking forward to team selects this Fall.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Last edited by tewatson; May 27, 2012 at 06:35 PM.