New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by BradMick
Joined Sep 2007
22 Posts
Discussion
Homebuilt Bf109F

Howdy!

So I got myself some foam cutting tools and foam for Christmas and immediately set out to put them to use. Right now i'm still in the planning phase for my first build. I got the inspiration for the design and build process from:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2039532

Dreamcatchers explanation of his build process is pretty awesome and I figure about the best way to tackle this bird. I was a 3D Artist before getting into CAD, so I use Lightwave to model the fuselage and then create my formers. I then export as DXF to TurboCad where I scale things up and print.

I used Profili to generate a NACA 2415 airfoil which I'm looking to outsource to FlyingFoam.com since I don't trust myself to manually create the wing cores (this'll be my first hand built foam aircraft...so...yeah).

Power wise i'm looking at using an E-Flite Park 280 (1800), which when paired with a GWS 7035 (which is what I used to scale the planes) 3 bladed prop and a 2S battery system should (according to E-Calc) net me around 290g of thrust. I project the aircraft will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 200g, or at least that's my goal.

I'm not expecting this build to go fast, and I expect it'll prove a lot more challenging than i'm hoping, but i'm pretty excited. Should be a fun learning experience.

Anyway, enough of all that, here's the WIP image as it stands right now.

V/R

Brad
BradMick is offline Find More Posts by BradMick
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by Teddy Ong
Teddy Ong
Joined Nov 2012
600 Posts
Cool! I always loved the 109. Have you decided on a colour scheme yet?
Teddy Ong is online now Find More Posts by Teddy Ong
Old Jan 01, 2015, 12:00 PM
Joined Sep 2007
22 Posts
I'm thinking a more pristine version of this scheme:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WR2BtrijJ7...53_Boehner.png

Which is more or less a direction application of this Emil coloring:

http://cdn1.airplane-pictures.net/im.../1/13/9325.jpg

Which is a paint scheme I've always been fond of.

So I finished up the tail Formers and modeled the chin radiator...now I've got to figure out how many segments i'm going to cut the nose into. What I can't decide is if I want to go with enough segments to include the chin radiator...meaning i'll have somewhere around 6 formers to cut for the nose...or if i'll just cut the chin radiator separately. I guess since this is the prototype, i'll try it the most difficult way first just to get it out of the way . I'm pretty happy with how the chin radiator fits along the surface of the nose...I'm all of about 1/16th of an inch off from the drawings contour line i'm using which isn't half bad I figure.

I've decided for the horizontal stab i'll use 1/8" balsa, since it'll help balance some of the weight that'll be in the nose, and then the actual backbone and vertical fin will be 1/16" balsa with 1/16" foam on each side to give a little more thickness for shaping purposes.

I did a quick test print of the plans yesterday and determined that once I'm done with the work in Lightwave I'll have to redraw the formers using the spline tools in TurboCad. One limitation I have is the DXF export doesn't like Lightwaves spline curves, so I have to build everything as lines which leads to segmentation and it shows in the printouts. Fortunately, a little snap to vertex goes a long way.

Anyway, here's the update showing the contour of the chin radiator.
Old Jan 03, 2015, 03:00 PM
Joined Sep 2007
22 Posts
Well, finished the plans this morning and started cutting the templates. I thought I could make the fuselage with just one template....I was very, very wrong. Instead of having nice 90 degree sides, there was a nice angle cut into them. So, i'll be re-cutting the fuselage. The good news is, the template worked like a champ!

Probably about all i'm going to get to today. I'll start cutting the fuselage forms next weekend...starting back to school and work this week so my time is up.

V/R

Brad