Old Sep 01, 2015, 04:59 AM
Find More Posts by Per Krabbe
Spain, Valencian Community, Altea
Joined Jan 2011
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack View Post
UK (IOM) Championship 2015 Results:
Rob Walsh (Fleetwood) wins the UK Championships. Fighting off the challenges of Zvonko Jelacic from Croatia and current World Champion Brad Gibson.
Where can we see the results - ?
Per Krabbe is offline Find More Posts by Per Krabbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2015, 06:36 AM
Find More Posts by Brian Wa
UK
Joined Sep 2002
992 Posts
UK - IOM Nationals

Final results here:-

http://mya-uk.co.uk/wp-content/uploa...ls-Results.pdf

From the MYA website:-

http://mya-uk.co.uk/2015-mya-iom-nat...ion-rob-walsh/
Brian Wa is offline Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Sep 01, 2015, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by Waikiwi
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2007
135 Posts
Hi

Am thinking about getting into iom sailing, but just had a query. I'm only a beginner, so am really new to all this, but I was wondering the following if someone could help me please.

Are there some designs out there which are easier to sail and get in the groove than others? Ie less tender and more forgiving? If so, can you provide some advice on what to look for? I'm just after something simple to learn the ropes on and see if iom racing is for me.

Are chine boats eg v8 or britpop etc easier to sail and more forgiving for a beginner than the round bilge ones?

Also, between the different designs, is their location of their shroud attachment points differ? Was thinking about building one from scratch later on and using an existing rig. However, would the stays need adjusting in length or is it standard?

Thanks
Waikiwi is online now Find More Posts by Waikiwi
Old Sep 01, 2015, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by hiljoball
Canada, BC, Strathcona
Joined Jul 2011
730 Posts
If you want to try IOMs, then I suggest that you buy a used boat and get onto the learning curve. Then, as you progress, you can upgrade and sell on your 'starter' to someone else.

Most IOMs are easy to sail, but they require finesse to get the top performance. Narrow boats like BritPop or V8s handle gusts better that fatter boats. But the newest top designs also command the top prices - so a previous generation boat should be less expensive.

The sails on IOM are essentially 'one-design', so rigs are similar, boat to boat. The main difference is how long is the mast, below the boom vang - deck stepped or in a well. So that is the major consideration - adjusting shrouds to fit is easy.

If you want to build, you can get designs in the modern style - narrow/chines eg Alternative, V8, Goth (several variants) and have the latest design features at lower cost.

John
hiljoball is offline Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Sep 01, 2015, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by davidjensen
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,545 Posts
I to am new to RC sailboats and the IOM's. Ive sail them for a year now and I have learned a lot and now I'm more comfortable with boat set up. All boats can be easy to sail if you have the correct sail set. Those that are correctly set up will groove with just a touch of weather helm. Its not just the hull that makes a boat easier to sail. The idea of getting a boat for its ease of sailing is not the right way to go about it. Find a used boat and learn what you need to with it. The learning curve is steep but once you grasp the concepts it can all fall into place and any boat can be made to handle very well. Any of the newer narrow chined hulls will serve you well so look for a used Britpop, Cheinz, Kantun, Mojo, V8/V9.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Sep 02, 2015, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by The Tug
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,672 Posts
I know a guy that has a Mojo he would sell it's sailed twice I think.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Sep 02, 2015, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by Psychosis
Joined Jul 2011
160 Posts
In my bopinion a cheapish club type boat is not the way to go.
Sure it wont stand you in a lot of money but will it do what you want?
If you are any kind of sailor at all if you take to it and want to continue you will soon outgrow your cheapie boat. Now if you want to upgrade you will have some cash tied up in something that you may not find easy to re sell.
If you dont take to it you have the same resale problem. Only time it realy is worthwhile is if you are happy with joining in racing at club level.
However if you bite the bullet and get a good modern boat it will serve you well and will have a good resale value wether you pack up or stick with it.
Psychosis is offline Find More Posts by Psychosis
Old Sep 02, 2015, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
455 Posts
There are a number of good second and third generation boats still being sailed at club level and unless you see yourself sailing at Ranking events, not a huge need for you to buy a "new" design.

I started with and still have a boat that was designed and built in 2000. It is still a very good boat that places well at club events. Mind you we don't sail in open water venues that are quite popular these days which is where new designs excel.

Where are you located? Are there clubs around that are sailing IOMs?

SJ
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Old Sep 02, 2015, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by Captslow
Joined Jan 2015
6 Posts
I started off last year with cheap local club boat. $499.00 special. Work out quite well as it did all I needed it to do, and was not afraid to play around with it.
learnt how to fix servo's, built new a new rig, fixed rudder support, replace running rigging. So was a great stepping stone that did not cost me too much.
The performance was just fine for the local club racing, and it was great to see how much better it was as I learnt to tune it. I was not too worried about it having a few bumps as I learnt how to sail. Also what not to do like building a stand that was too light and boat falling over. Silly stuff that just happens, and one would never do again.
I now have a newer boat coming soon, and have no problem passing this boat on to the next skipper who want to learn IOM sailing.

So a win win as far as I am concerned, and a great way to start. Also allowed me to compare other boat designs, and I was not rushed into buying an expensive boat right away.

Have fun sailing.
Captslow is offline Find More Posts by Captslow
Last edited by Captslow; Sep 02, 2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2015, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by RW1966
Joined Apr 2015
13 Posts
Waikiwi

Have a look on http://www.nzradioyachtingassociation.co.nz/ and see if any of the listed clubs are near you. This is a good starting point to find out what designs are being sailed at venues near enough for you. Most clubs will be prepared to let you have a go.

You will also find details of the NZ National Championships coming up 25 -27 September.
RW1966 is offline Find More Posts by RW1966
Old Sep 02, 2015, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by Waikiwi
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2007
135 Posts
Thanks. Have looked at that site and see one that is close to me. Are you sailing at the Nats? Looks like its going to be a good event
Waikiwi is online now Find More Posts by Waikiwi