SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:19 AM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,886 Posts
QingDao is about 500 miles from Yantai where my wife is from. I spent a few days there a year ago visiting her friends and family.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:25 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
815 Posts
Confucious say "Tis better to dork one's wife than one's landing".
chris country is offline Find More Posts by chris country
Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:13 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,533 Posts
Judd and I went flying yesterday afternoon into some nice gentle lift that kept you up as long as you wanted to stay. Judd flew the big Explorer with its altitude variometer, making easy work of loitering aloft in the fine lift. After a few rounds with the Phoenix, I flew the little MiniRadian, which would continuously get sucked up by the slightest warm current.

Judd and I talked about fixing his Orion fuselage. We're going to use carbon fiber patches under shrink wrap, just like Canuck suggested. It will be no problem to fix, and be stronger than before. Done correctly, there should be negligible weight gain. We have the CF cloth on order now.
Mike Furcolow is offline Find More Posts by Mike Furcolow
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:39 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
815 Posts
Nice Mike. Maybe you guys can take a few pics along the way for a mini "how-to". Mike, what are your thoughts on that Turnigy motor you put in the BOT?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 09:06 PM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,533 Posts
That motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=32818 works fine in that application. The power is adequate, not overpowering, and seems reliable and runs cool. I'm powering it with a 3S battery, and a 4S battery would make it a beast. It's big, though, 38mm diameter, so fitting it in a smaller plane like the Orion wouldn't work. MEGA motors make a high quality, powerful engine that is only 28mm diameter. That's what I use in the Alpina.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:06 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
1,124 Posts
Hey Mike.

Finally picked up alpina my 3001 electric and to my surprised the esc motor and 3 Graupner spinners and props were in the box as well. Plan is to build the new fuse and use the wings from my glider version. I'm really excited to get it built so I'd be ready for garvin Mesa this summer. Compares to the 2501 it seems a lot bigger.

Hey mr swan sorry to hear about the mishap man.

LP
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:03 AM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,533 Posts
I'm really glad you were able to score the Alpina 3001--if you didn't get it, I would have. It went quick. You got a great price on it too.

.............if you ever want to get rid of it.................you know where to send it...............

I think it would be wise to put an interior carbon fiber sock in the cockpit area, too. I did that with mine, and it later survived a horrendous crash with no cracks or damage. Just sand the interior to roughen it, wipe down w isopropyl alcohol to remove any mold release, paint it with thin resin and plaster on a spit sock of medium weight carbon material. I blew up a balloon in there to get smooth adhesion, but that probably wasn't necessary. Turned out great, and is uber-strong.
Last edited by Mike Furcolow; Jan 29, 2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:46 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
815 Posts
Yeah LP, I feel bad to have somehow killed that donated motor. Still perplexed as to what happened with it.

Mike, I have that same motor coming. It'll be tight but I'm hoping with the tapered front of the motor, I can get it to slide in. If not, I'll save it for a rainy day. I hope to set up a beater e-glider in the next few years to fly some of our terrain around town that have no LZ to speak of...I can use it in that when the time comes.

Ed Berg, a new local flyer, and I tore it up yesterday in light jackets and 20-30 mph SW winds. I flew the Vindicator for an hour and a half and realized I was tense the whole time. It felt like I needed a Tums after flying it for that long. Need to remember to breathe!
Old Today, 11:07 AM
Paonia, Colorado
Joined Sep 2004
2,533 Posts
No wind. No sun. No lift. No fun.
Last edited by Mike Furcolow; Today at 11:20 AM.
Old Today, 02:10 PM
Salida, CO.
Joined Oct 2004
815 Posts
Crappy here too but starting tomorrow 3-4 days of warm West winds of 10-20. I'm putting the finishing touches on the Orion today. Unfortunately, the bump in my servo covers doesn't quite clear my servo arms so I may have to order some different covers. Oh yeah, waiting on the motor too.