HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by felixthemaster, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 03:27 AM
Newbie RC'r and member
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Sep 2011
302 Posts
Discussion
What is your opinion on other RC types?

I am a heli pilot (beginner)

Planes - Pretty fun, I can't imagine landing, it would break 100% of the time in the first few weeks if i tried, but a bit too easy in the air IMO, I would feel bored after a while of flying it.

Cars - Always thought was cool when I was a kid, would be great for tinkering, might be harder to explain to people that it is not a toy

Boats - Lots of headroom, pretty niche, need to have a location, hard to fetch if anything goes wrong. Really relaxing if you had slower boats with extra features such as battleships with launching foam missiles, etc.

Quads - Too easy with all the GPS assist and self leveling crap. IMO helis are vastly superior and quads are only good for camera platforms and toys (pls, don't kill me). That said, if you wanted a hovering air craft but didn't want the complexity and annoyances of a heli, it would be a good
felixthemaster is online now Find More Posts by felixthemaster
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:07 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,430 Posts
heli: Bogans with too much money

Planes: They're cool.

Cars: Bogans with less money

Boats: Wierdos

Quads: They're cool, except Phantom owners.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:26 AM
Newbie RC'r and member
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Sep 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ View Post
heli: Bogans with too much money

Planes: They're cool.

Cars: Bogans with less money

Boats: Wierdos

Quads: They're cool, except Phantom owners.
Learnt a new word today
felixthemaster is online now Find More Posts by felixthemaster
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:17 AM
The cycle is complete.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,969 Posts
Helis: fun, but holy crap they can be tough.

Planes: cool when flown normally, just as hard as a heli in 3d

cars: fun. like, hooligan fun.

Boats: powerboats are cool, sailboats are okay.

quads. nice for flying around inside an apartment. hunter vtails look menacing, though.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
167 Posts
Helis- too cool for planes. May not be able to fly a straight line.

Planes- old guys who need to relive their younger days. (Edit- at least in the local club).

Cars- why bother??

Boats- actual modelers. Most likely to work or have worked around the subject content in action. Also, why bother?

Quads- that kid in class who gets everyone in trouble for something dumb he did.
NoiseBox is offline Find More Posts by NoiseBox
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:04 PM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
442 Posts
Helis: Sounds nice, can't imagine having to learn cyclic coming from 'bank and yank'

Planes: Yes. Oh yes.

Cars: Fun for my cousins who chase the dog with them.

Boats: Gotta love it. Especially the large scale sailing models with no actual power other than wind. Let out the sales, tacking, jibing, even found a few where you can put reefs in the main.

Quads: Fun if you use them for something other than AP, and if you use them for AP you better have built it yourself. Not very well disposed towards Phantom owners.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Jan 29, 2015, 05:31 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
Helis: Sounds nice, can't imagine having to learn cyclic coming from 'bank and yank'
On a more serious note...It's not actually that different in a basic sense, The cyclic still controls the model exactly the same as for a plane. Push forward=pitch down, left=roll left and so on. Even yank and bank, say you're already flying forward,though starting to strain the comparison gets you similar movements. Push the stick left and your flight path turns to the left...

The difference is that more throttle equals climb and...Well, at this point I think we're probably pushing the similarities far past the point where they're useful.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Today, 05:31 AM
Joined Jul 2011
167 Posts
Wow seems like phantom owners aren't getting much love. Wonder why?
NoiseBox is offline Find More Posts by NoiseBox