Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 29, 2014, 07:53 AM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
Question
LiPo cell damage on side

Just made my first maiden flight. I was counting on crashing, but I didn't expect the battery to come loose and take an unfortunate hit.

That hole in one cell looks pretty bad to me, but I'm a total novice. I haven't charged nor used the battery since the hit, but I checked the voltages and all cells are still balanced. No smoke, puffs or anything except that hole. At the moment the whole pack is outdoors on stone tiles just in case.

My plan is to remove the single damaged cell and dispose of it (salt water and what-not), while keeping the two other cells. Does this sound reasonable? Is it paranoid? Are the two remaining cells scrap as well?

Sorry if this is a repeated question, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing after seeing all those LoPo fire videos...
miniyou is offline Find More Posts by miniyou
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2014, 09:31 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2013
159 Posts
A puncture of the cell is grounds for an immediate discharge and disposal. The internal chemistry will quickly be contaminated and destroyed by contact with air (at best) and could cause a fire (at worst).

I wouldn't bother trying to save the other cells unless you have a specific use for a 1-less-cell battery. Unsoldering cells can be hard (lead-free solder + battery is sensitive to high temp) and risks shorting them out while new batteries are cheap. If you really want to go that route, I would completely discharge just the damaged cell through the appropriate balance tap connector. Then you can plan out removing it.

Maybe just play it safe, discharge all the cells completely then practice unsoldering and resoldering the cells once the entire battery is dead and inert.
CerealKiller159 is offline Find More Posts by CerealKiller159
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:32 AM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
Sounds reasonable, thanks
miniyou is offline Find More Posts by miniyou
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:25 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealKiller159 View Post
A puncture of the cell is grounds for an immediate discharge and disposal. The internal chemistry will quickly be contaminated and destroyed by contact with air (at best) and could cause a fire (at worst).

I wouldn't bother trying to save the other cells unless you have a specific use for a 1-less-cell battery. Unsoldering cells can be hard (lead-free solder + battery is sensitive to high temp) and risks shorting them out while new batteries are cheap. If you really want to go that route, I would completely discharge just the damaged cell through the appropriate balance tap connector. Then you can plan out removing it.

Maybe just play it safe, discharge all the cells completely then practice unsoldering and resoldering the cells once the entire battery is dead and inert.
Pretty solid advice.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy