ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,182 Posts
Rant
Nitroplanes Dyslexia

Disclaimer:
Please don't say "I told you so" ... my bride has already had that talk with me.

Against my better judgement, I ordered 6 Solar D220 servos from Nitroplanes.
I read the reviews regarding their centering performance and wanted to try them in a small pattern practice plane to see how they perform. Did a quick search to find them elsewhere, but just bit the bullet.

The price per servo was good, but has become Nitroplanes modus operandi, the shipping was "slightly high".
$14.45 to ship 6 9 gram servos from CA to MA via UPS GND.
It is what it is, so I went ahead with the purchase.

A day or two goes by and I receive shipping confirmation email.

Tracking number looks an awful lot like USPS (US Postal Service) format, so I go ahead and copy the number and search UPS website, expecting a return. Nope, invalid number.

So I try the USPS website and sure enough, tracking info is available.
They shipped the servos via US Postal Service FIRST CLASS MAIL.

OK, UPS GND....USPS Priority Mail ... whatever.

They could have sent the 6 9gram servos via Flat Rate Priority Mail for $5.95, charged me $14.45 but at least I would have them in a reasonable time frame.
But no, they decide to go with first class mail, even though I specified and was charged for UPS GND.

Of course I blame myself and dyslexia ... UPS GND looks an awful lot like USPS First Class mail ... UPS....USPS....I can see where someone with dyslexia could confuse them.

On a positive note, I am glad I never ordered the CMP Leo II pattern plane from Nitroplanes....I am sure for the $87 quoted shipping fee, they would have sent it via Mongolian Mule Train over the North Pole.

I've already ordered a set of MKS6100 servos from another online hobby shop ... when the Solar servos arrive I will just pitch them in the electronic recycling container at work and just forget about the whole thing.

Thank you Nitroplanes .... you confirmed my suspicion that you and Banana Hobby were in fact separated at birth.
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:16 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
359 Posts
Would you be able to provide me the order number for the servos so I can look into this. I have a feeling the shipping department selected the wrong option when they printed the shipping label for the item.
RaidenCharlie is offline Find More Posts by RaidenCharlie
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:19 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,182 Posts
Update:
The servos arrived...in a small envelope, First Class Mail, 3.0oz, $14.45 shipping charge.
On the plus side, they did get the name and address correct on the shipping label.

Lesson learned, never, ever again.
I would rather get a root canal, without novacaine, from an epileptic dentist, who just discovered I was sleeping with both his wife and daughter, than order from Nitroplanes again.
Last edited by ltc; Apr 12, 2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:33 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenCharlie View Post
Would you be able to provide me the order number for the servos so I can look into this. I have a feeling the shipping department selected the wrong option when they printed the shipping label for the item.
I wonder how often they select FedEx Priority Overnight by mistake rather than the cheapest shipping method possible?
But at least the name and address on the shipping label was correct.

There was NO option for USPS when ordering online...the lowest cost was UPS GND at $14.45, unless you are telling me that the website was wrong as well ... Oh wait, it was my fault all along ... Damn this dyslexia thing.

I would rather order something from Banana Hobby, paying more than the total via Cash, mailed to BH in an envelope marked "Cash Inside, Keep the Change" than even think of ordering from Nitroplanes again.

Enjoy the payment for the servos and shipping.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 11:35 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,182 Posts
I should have listened to fellow RCG members

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195402
Old Apr 13, 2014, 07:57 PM
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Feb 2006
236 Posts
50+ bucks for a 200.00 plane is highway robbery at it's finest. No more NP's!
Bariboy is offline Find More Posts by Bariboy
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:03 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
359 Posts
PM replied.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:22 PM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
810 Posts
Nitro really needs to address their shipping costs.

I have ordered 5-6 planes from NP, and the shipping hasn't been too bad, ~$16.00 for a 650mm warbird. But, I'm only a few hundred miles away. Shipping the same plane to the east coast is double that, or more. I wait until they have a sale, and that offsets the shipping costs a bit.

NP: You competitors ship for free if your purchase is over $100.00 and $5.00 shipping below $100 If they can do this and turn a profit, so can you. Everyone loves free or reduced shipping. You are just leaving a bad taste in your customers mouths.

I like your products, and really enjoy Roland's videos. Seriously guys, please take a look at your business model. The shipping issues are turning away a lot of potential customers...
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Jun 22, 2014, 06:12 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,182 Posts
Update:
Finally got a chance to head out to the field and go for a maiden flight.
The Solar D220 installed on the rudder stripped and failed on the table during a maiden pre-flight! Zero flight hours, maybe 10 minutes of operating time on the bench during build and setup.

Went home and grabbed a spare that I had purchased originally .
I was surprised to discover that the new spare was a reverse direction servo!
Didn't order or knew they made reverse direction D220... Not even sure they know.

What an adventure this has been ... Never again, that's for sure.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 06:01 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Their customer service is a nightmare. I am a first time customer to Nitro. I bought a dynam peaks it shipped with a bad motor. Made a claim through their silly process that no different then posting on this board. Since my plane shipped with a bad motor I have to send it back to them so they can determine if it is a bad motor. At first they told me to package the item and ship it back when i complained about me paying for shipping they created a return shipping lable. SO now i have to send bad motor back and wait 2-3 weeks for them to send me a new motor. I even uploaded a video on youtube to show then what motor was doing hoping they would send one out right away... Nope got to go through this long drawn out process which means the plane they already have my money for sits waitying for them to take theoir swet time to ship a new motor.... I will never buy from this outfit again... Last plane I had a problem with had a bad speed controller that compan quicly mailed me another one and I was in the air in two days.. Not nitor they going to make you send bad one back to bench test it then decide if they will send me a new one I guess??? Not a good way for them to get me to by from them again. The new motor should have been sent out just as soon as i showed them video evidence of a bad motor.. I am so angry at them right now but they dont care they got my money already..
NitroPlanes Dynam Peaks Fail (2 min 5 sec)
handy916 is offline Find More Posts by handy916
Old Jul 01, 2014, 06:40 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,182 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem.

Banana Hobby (aka the Fruit Stand) is no better than Nitroplanes, so avoid them as well, you'll be happier.

If at all possible, deal with MotionRC, they set the standard for customer service, parts availability and pricing/shipping IMHO.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:33 PM
Joined Dec 2009
133 Posts
Anyone got Ideas how to get a refund from Nitro planes? I recieved a plane that was damaged and did the online ticket game playing with them So I opened a Paypal dispute: Well today nitro planes told paypal they would refund my money if I ship the plane back! Why should I have to pay to get my money back? Last time I ever buy from them again!
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:11 PM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinucrazy View Post
Anyone got Ideas how to get a refund from Nitro planes? I recieved a plane that was damaged and did the online ticket game playing with them So I opened a Paypal dispute: Well today nitro planes told paypal they would refund my money if I ship the plane back! Why should I have to pay to get my money back? Last time I ever buy from them again!
Would you happen to know your order number for the plane so I can take a look at the order?

As for having to send the item back to us, think of it like this. If you purchased something from a local store and ask them for a refund for the item they would obviously request that you return the item back to them before they refund you.

Let me know your order number whenever you're able to and I'll have a return shipping label emailed to you so you can send the item back to us for a refund.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2009
133 Posts
Charlie, I understand what you posted. But why is it when Items arrive damaged, shipped from horizon or tower hobbies, they send a new one, and do not make customer(s) wait. I wish you where the one taking care of it on the ticket system. I can post responses from them if you like? They also have a phone number where you can talk to a real person. I aleady paid 18.00 to have it shipped by UPS: Tracking numbers: 1z4t86w60399764833

At any rate... order number:
order yhst-17210252890263-402681

Thank You for taking the time to respond.
flyinucrazy is offline Find More Posts by flyinucrazy
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:39 AM
HobbypartZ Support
Joined Jul 2011
359 Posts
Do you still have the receipt from UPS for the 1z4t86w60399764833 package? If you do can you send me a copy of it? I'll attach it to your order and make a request with our billing department to refund you the $18.00 that you paid to send the item back to us.