Old Mar 11, 2014, 03:12 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
Discussion
Do mid-airs happen in ALES contests?

Guys,
After all discussion about ALES might get me to buy a better plane than the Radian I have(not that it is bad. I am looking for something more competitive).

Something I did not realize was the number of planes that are in the air at one time. It reminds me of hand launch.

I was wondering, do mid-airs happen in ALES? I do not have much TD experience and no ALES so other than hand launch, I have no base to come from and am trying to see how much money I need to get into the competition.

How is the damage? Any photos?

If there is damage, do you feel field repair doable or is it better to think about 2 or 3 planes than worrying about field repairs? I guess this is plane dependent.

How many planes do you feel is needed to compete? I ask because I was the kind of hand launch guy who flew one plane for several years to many away contests. It has only been the last few years that I even had 2 or more planes at a contest and reduced my repair material on trips. I got lucky.

Is there certain planes that hold up to competition better?

Some guys find foam core or moldies with foam core do better in hand launch than pure moldies so I was wondering if this was true in ALES?

Is there better reinforcement along the leading edge to keep damage down?

Any other knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2014, 03:48 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post

I was wondering, do mid-airs happen in ALES?
Only seen one. Pilot ran up the back of another plane on launch and clipped the tail. Plane was landed and repaired.

Quote:
How many planes do you feel is needed to compete?
I have a primary and a backup. Some have two types for various weather conditions. I stick with open bay wings RES as it's my preference. If the weather is beyond what I am comfortable with for my planes, they sit in the Tahoe. 95% of my flying is not competition but rather for fun, so I build,buy and fly what I like.

Quote:
Is there certain planes that hold up to competition better?
I don't think that ALES competition is anymore rigorous than just flying for fun except for the landing task. Some guys are out for blood and will dork a plane for points. I refuse to dork instead going for the slide with the primary thought of preservation of the model. If I don't do a good slide then oh well. A wrecked model from dorking or weather is not worth any amount of points to me.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:46 PM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
258 Posts
Like any other situation that puts multiple aircraft in the same area, mid airs can and do happen. Some are field repairable some are not. For local competitions I don't feel the need for a back up plane. If I am spending time and money to travel to a contest then I would take two. If I can't get through a weekend on two I'm not going to put a third one in the air.

Mark
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:29 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,492 Posts
Two years ago at the Polecat the tail on my Supra was clipped and disabled. The full power crash destroyed the center panel and cosmetically damaged the tips. $900 dollars later it was just like new.

At the subsequent Polecat and NATS, the organizers asked pilots to more or less coordinate their starts before launching (agree who was going to launch first during the 10 second window) AND they requested that pilots launch more or less straight forward in the same direction until everybody was sorted out at which time they could fly wherever they pleased.

No fancy rules or strict enforcement regimen -- just a little friendly coordination. At least at those two contests things were pretty orderly.

Something for organizers to consider -- especially when you have launchers who see fit to launch "down the line".

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is offline Find More Posts by dharban
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:30 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
264 Posts
Mid-airs

I have experienced 3 that I can recall. One was rather scary because the pilot and I really didn't have time to get out of the way. Fortunately, his disabled plane passed by us and crashed behind us. It went in at full throttle. I was flying for the other two and the other planes were going in the same direction as I so we tangled gently and then disengaged. It's bound to happen from time to time. Usually most of the close calls I've seen are at launch. It still should not discourage anyone from competing, just something that happens. It is, at least in my limited experience, rare.

Dave R.
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:33 PM
United States, PA, Carlisle
Joined Oct 2011
264 Posts
I was Don's timer for the incident he described above. As he said, talking to your neighbor before launch seems to help a lot.

Dave R.
dreisinger is offline Find More Posts by dreisinger
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:47 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Durability

I fly a lot of ALES contests, 12-15 per year. In the last two years I have had 3 mid-airs. The Radian in collision with another Radian resulted in only a lost canopy, ( I believe I got my time and the landing, but never recovered the canopy!).
Another Thermalling collision had two AVAs meeting and neither suffered any noticeable damage, and flew on.
Last weekend I had a mid-air with a Supra flying my AVA pro. The Supra suffered a minor scratch, but the AVA received a 1" "shark bite" out of the tip LE which also detached the whole tip section, tearing the tape holding the tip section on.
I succeeded in landing the model in an ugly fashion with no further damage except a flap servo gear stripped. (Carbonite gears!).
I do not consider mid-airs to be a major consideration when choosing a model to fly.

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:19 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,327 Posts
Yes, still bummed about that and very sorry Iain.
You did a fantastic job getting that Ava back down with no further damage.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:15 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,087 Posts
Are landings less worrisome than launches? Seems I have more control and expanding area to use on the way up, while a contracting area and less overall control on the wah back in.

I presume landing can be more staggered than launches as not everyone maxes each round.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:31 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
Hearing that coordinating with you neighbor could help, I wonder if the CD could simply offer 2 horns, maybe one higher pitched than the other and have odd landing tape numbers launch first followed by evens to help stagger things a bit. It would only need to be a 2 or 3 second spacing.

Has anyone done something like this?

Or some other scheme.

I guess talking with your neighbor is probably best and since you have a bunch of time to launch, it is not so bad.

It sounds like it is no worse than hand launch. I know in hand launch, there has been changes to help with preventing damage to some extent so I was wondering if it was true in ALES. Sounds good.

Thanks guys

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Mar 12, 2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:24 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,420 Posts
I haven't ever seen a mid air at an ALES contest. But then I haven't ever been to an ALES contest.

Ryan's secretary
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:03 AM
whitestone NY
Joined Mar 2002
191 Posts
Frank,

If were flying any where near each other, We will definitely have a mid air........

I guarantee it

come at me bro!

Phil
gasbag is offline Find More Posts by gasbag
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:21 AM